Did the RGIII trade help us more than we knew?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
From what I've established in my limited time watching the NFL draft was there was once a time when there was no rookie wage scale, it made trades into the top 5 almost none existent, then the new CBA happened and rookies had to do something in the NFL to get payed like a pro, this created a wild wild west scenario trade wise, where all of a sudden the RGIII trade becomes possible and even goes as far as looking like a good idea after RGIII's rookie year :rolleyes:.

My question is does the unmitigated disaster that the trade has turned into mean that we'll never see a trade in that range ever again? As such wouldn't it be ironic if say 2 first round picks (say the 10th pick and a future first) suddenly looks like an appealing offer to the Oakland Raiders and we end up landing Marriota. The gift that keeps on giving.

Or are teams going to continue to do stupid stuff like offer 3 firsts and a second to move up 2 spots regardless of how the RGIII trade turned out?

Just spitballing on this Thanksgiving.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think it might have cheapened things. I still think a move up like they did could land two 1sts plus another pick or two.

FRO

Legend
A trade like that will happen again, but it will take some time. Eventually there will be an idiot owner who forces his team to go all in on one guy.

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
If a trade like that does happen again I hope were not involved one way or the other.We do need to fix our Qb problem now though, so trade up is fine with me just not one that gives away the future of the team.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I don't think it will have much of an effect. Pre or post trade, everything hinges on the player available and the team interested.

Irish

Starter
RGIII did win the Heisman that year. Not Luck, not Matt Kalil, not Trent Richardson, but RGIII.

I am convinced RGIII is a victim of being drafted by the Redskins as much as he is anything else. Had he gone to Minnesota, or Indianapolis, or even Cleveland, his career oath would be much, much different.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
RGIII did win the Heisman that year. Not Luck, not Matt Kalil, not Trent Richardson, but RGIII.

I am convinced RGIII is a victim of being drafted by the Redskins as much as he is anything else. Had he gone to Minnesota, or Indianapolis, or even Cleveland, his career oath would be much, much different.
Eric Crouch won a Heisman too.

Unfortunately, college success doesn't in and of itself equal success, and I have to disagree that RGIII's career would have been very different elsewhere. You keep running like he does, you're going to get hurt in the NFL.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
If they had traded up to get Luck then it probably would of been a great trade.

Teams will continue to make trades like this if its the right player. QB is just too important.

Teran

UDFA

He would have been hurt no matter who he played for. He doesn't understand the most important part of running - how to go down and slip the worst of the hit so you can play the next play.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
He would have been hurt no matter who he played for. He doesn't understand the most important part of running - how to go down and slip the worst of the hit so you can play the next play.

It's more than that.

The style in which he plays the position has never, ever translated well to the NFL.