Did any see the Rams not get penalty yardage?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
1st SF drive starting from their 33.

1st down, incomplete pass.

2nd down, Krappy runs but there's an illegal block to the back. Ref says 10 yards, repeat 2nd down, but the ball is still at the 33 and it says 2nd and 10.

2nd down incomplete.

3rd down, 11 yard pass, Niners 1st down, so it wasn't the just the tv station.

Am I crazy or were the Rams robbed?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
No. The same thing happened on the Pead run in the 4th quarter, when Cook made a block in the back. Same deal. 2nd and 10. The 10 being the penalty part.

RamzFanz

Damnit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No. The same thing happened on the Pead run in the 4th quarter, when Cook made a block in the back. Same deal. 2nd and 10. The 10 being the penalty part.

I'm confused. They are repeating the down meaning the down never happened. The gain is negated and you add 10 penalty yards. Yes?

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
I'm confused. They are repeating the down meaning the down never happened. The gain is negated and you add 10 penalty yards. Yes?
I'm not completely clear on it either. It appears the run counts, but the first down is negated because of the penalty.:cray:

A55VA6

Legend
I never noticed this... but when it's a penalty like that and you repeat the down, a loss of 10 yards is supposed to occur meaning it should be 2nd and 20. Only time it would replay the down with 2nd and 10 is if both teams get a penalty so it offsets. I might be wrong, idk. I would have to go look at the play though..

RamzFanz

Damnit
I'm not completely clear on it either. It appears the run counts, but the first down is negated because of the penalty.:cray:

No, then it would have been on the 34 or 35 after the penalty because the run was 11 or 12 yards.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I never noticed this... but when it's a penalty like that and you repeat the down, a loss of 10 yards is supposed to occur meaning it should be 2nd and 20. Only time it would replay the down with 2nd and 10 is if both teams get a penalty so it offsets. I would have to go look at the play though..
SF has been anointed a playoff spot and there's not a damn thing any of us can do about it.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
the 10 yard penalty is enforced from the spot of the foul

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
the 10 yard penalty is enforced from the spot of the foul
Yep. It's not 10 yards from the LOS like some other fouls are.
Think about punt and kickoff returns. That particular penalty is always announced as "10 yards ... from the spot of the foul..."

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Yep. It's not 10 yards from the LOS like some other fouls are.
Think about punt and kickoff returns. That particular penalty is always announced as "10 yards ... from the spot of the foul..."

Yes, it can be confusing. If you catch a pass ten yards down the field and then are sprung free by a clip at that point, you get sent back 10 yards from point of clip. It ends up like being offsetting penalties and a do over.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Ahhhhh. OK. I didn't hear from the spot of the foul. That makes sense. Thanks all.

RamzFanz

Damnit
The confusion came because he just said 10 yards and not 10 yards from the spot of the foul then I guess.

EDIT: I just reviewed it. The spot of the foul was not the first down marker so the Rams still got screwed out of a yard or two.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Rule 12 section 1 article 3

Block in the back is a 10 yard penalty. It doesn't say from the spot of the foul.

EDIT: never mind. In the 2013 manual it adds an example that would be from the spot of the foul. It just doesn't say spot of the foul.

It should have been 2nd an 11 or 12 if the ref had spotted the foul correctly.