Dickerson, Warner, Faulk, And Other NFL Hall Of Famers Demand Health Insurance And Salaries

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I dunno, the average NFL career is what, 3 years now and probably moving the wrong direction. Yes, HoF guys probably made more than most. It also stands to reason their long term health has/will suffer as a result.

Seems greedy, sure. The NFL does continue to capitalize off these guys though, to what end for the players? Do guys elected in the late 80s or early 90s have much of a means to earn based on their name or status as a HoF member? They certainly weren't making the money current guys are.

Sucks to see for sure.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
I'm a little torn. Guys who played in the 60's-80's probably didn't make CRAZY money like guys now. So I see their point. Guys making 100 mil? Yeah... I think they can manage their own retirement and medical.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, there are two distinct points.

First, I think all former players, or at least all who hit a certain cutoff, should have health insurance. I already think that players get a smaller share of revenue than they should, since they are the actual product being sold, so in the next CBA it would be nice if that were added during negotiations. Note - not just Hall of Famers, but all players.

Second, it sounds like HoFers don't even get paid for the appearances they make for teams. IF that is the case, it should be rectified. Certainly they should be paid for promotional appearances to promote the NFL after they stop receiving salaries. That's different than the lifetime salary they seem to be asking for. Pay their expenses to get them to the game to do the coinflip, with some stipend. Heck, if teams are smart, combine it with a paid autograph session for gear bought at the team shop before the game and at half time. Team makes money, HoFers make money, fans get to meet HoFers and get their autograph.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Also, I guess Warner doesn't agree with the letter. Which is good, cause I like to think of Warner as a pretty great person.

Thank you for some reason, Kurt. What an ill-conceived effort on the part of these guys. Maybe we could pass a bucket around to all of these fans at these packed stadiums....

empty.jpg

the-giants-stadium-is-empty.jpg

DJa3lGjVYAAF_bB.0.jpg

…and see if we could raise a few bucks to dry clean your gold jackets, mother#$@%$ !!

The medical benefits, especially for old-timers, make some sense, for ALL PLAYERS, not just the beautiful people.

But salaries?? For what?? Lower prices to attend games, and to buy a freaking hot dog. Or the games will go away. And your freaking legacy will be a bad taste in my mouth.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jerry Rice has come out and said almost the exact same thing as Warner on the issue.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
So Terrell Owens should still get a salary and benefits, but Issac Bruce shouldn't?

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Of course those players that signed that letter feel they deserve more than others that helped them get into the hall of fame. Entitlement at its finest.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I'll say the same thing now that I said when I was in the Army.

If you're broke during or directly after your get out, that's a you problem. This is especially true with HOF players who had long successful careers. Salary? Get the fuck out of here, you have made more than your share, if you still need more then you need to make changes.

Healthcare? Sure, NFL players should have healthcare after they've retired for anything related to playing the game, same as the military does.

The "Me only" bit really hurts their case though. I'm sorry, I like these guys, but I can't support millionaires demanding to have more money when they already have so much, and have options that the rest of us would only dream of in terms of making more. I'd love to sit at the NFL studios and talk football all day, they can, and they can collect a paycheck doing it.

jjab360

Legend
Also, I guess Warner doesn't agree with the letter. Which is good, cause I like to think of Warner as a pretty great person.

I'm with Warner here in that it leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth that HOFers see themselves as more deserving of these benefits than the rest of the players who put everything on the line right beside them their whole careers. I'd like to see all players receive the care they need, though I'm not an expert on exactly what that would entail.

jjab360

Legend
Well, there are two distinct points.

First, I think all former players, or at least all who hit a certain cutoff, should have health insurance. I already think that players get a smaller share of revenue than they should, since they are the actual product being sold, so in the next CBA it would be nice if that were added during negotiations. Note - not just Hall of Famers, but all players.

Second, it sounds like HoFers don't even get paid for the appearances they make for teams. IF that is the case, it should be rectified. Certainly they should be paid for promotional appearances to promote the NFL after they stop receiving salaries. That's different than the lifetime salary they seem to be asking for. Pay their expenses to get them to the game to do the coinflip, with some stipend. Heck, if teams are smart, combine it with a paid autograph session for gear bought at the team shop before the game and at half time. Team makes money, HoFers make money, fans get to meet HoFers and get their autograph.
I'm with this, there's promotional opportunities there and money to be made.

Ram65

Legend
Seems like all former NFL players should get some health insurance benefits in retirement. I would like to know what money HOFers make in appearances, commercials etc.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
That sounds like something they need to negotiate with the team. If their appearance is actually worth money, the teams will pay them. If it isn't, they won't. But if the team says "show up and you the coin" or whatever, and the player agrees and shows up without asking for money (or asks for money, gets turned down, and does it anyway) then whose fault is it that the player doesn't get paid?

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That sounds like something they need to negotiate with the team. If their appearance is actually worth money, the teams will pay them. If it isn't, they won't. But if the team says "show up and you the coin" or whatever, and the player agrees and shows up without asking for money (or asks for money, gets turned down, and does it anyway) then whose fault is it that the player doesn't get paid?

I see it as more of a league wide issue. With revenue sharing individual teams have a bit of a disincentive to do promotions that don't immediately sell tickets, but just help build and maintain interest long term in the league. Instead teams focus on reducing their costs and on increasing non-shared revenue. That's why LA was without a team for so long. But it is in the interest of the league as a whole to focus on long term and league wide revenue. Reminding people of great former players won't sell many tickets today, but should help maintain league wide interest. So I'd think a NFL budget for things like that, with the budget divided among the teams to handle these promotions, including money to bring in HoFers for promotions, is the way to go.

This is assuming that - as the HoFers made it sound - they aren't being paid for such things now, or even paid just real token.

One of the points implied in the original article, is that HoFers ARE assets to the league. They should be treated fairly. They should also though be better utilized as spokesmen for the league as a whole. They are being wasted. Using them for promotions can pay their way if done right. If the league is smart, they'll experiment in ways to keep fans' favorite players from the past in the forefront of their minds.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I see it as more of a league wide issue. With revenue sharing individual teams have a bit of a disincentive to do promotions that don't immediately sell tickets, but just help build and maintain interest long term in the league. Instead teams focus on reducing their costs and on increasing non-shared revenue. That's why LA was without a team for so long. But it is in the interest of the league as a whole to focus on long term and league wide revenue. Reminding people of great former players won't sell many tickets today, but should help maintain league wide interest. So I'd think a NFL budget for things like that, with the budget divided among the teams to handle these promotions, including money to bring in HoFers for promotions, is the way to go.

This is assuming that - as the HoFers made it sound - they aren't being paid for such things now, or even paid just real token.

One of the points implied in the original article, is that HoFers ARE assets to the league. They should be treated fairly. They should also though be better utilized as spokesmen for the league as a whole. They are being wasted. Using them for promotions can pay their way if done right. If the league is smart, they'll experiment in ways to keep fans' favorite players from the past in the forefront of their minds.
I think the HoF players should receive a portion of the revenue from the HoF museum. It is their image and their deeds that people are coming in to see. A portion of league revenue is asinine.

Healthcare, sure but that should be for all players. Do a post retirement health eval, kind of like the military. Get paid for injuries sustained and any mental health stuff at any point thereafter.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Honestly, how much money does it cost the NFL if the Hall of Fame ceases to exist? Will advertisers bail? Will ticket sales suffer? Will networks pay less for game contracts?

I’m sure there is some recognizable revenue associated with having the HOF - but I doubt it as much as the cost of insurance and salaries for all members.

Turducken

Starter
I think there should also be revenue sharing with long term fans. I've got over 40 years invested in helping bring the NFL to its current level of success. If the league just shared .0001% of its revenues with me I could afford (new stadium) Rams season tix for my whole family.

Last edited:

Liberator

Pro Bowler
Good for them! Hope they get what they want. Organized labor is the last line of defense against the people who control our world!

Liberator

Pro Bowler
Honestly, how much money does it cost the NFL if the Hall of Fame ceases to exist? Will advertisers bail? Will ticket sales suffer? Will networks pay less for game contracts?

I’m sure there is some recognizable revenue associated with having the HOF - but I doubt it as much as the cost of insurance and salaries for all members.

Who cares about the money? Sport shouldn't just be about money even here in North America. It is, at some point, about what is right. The league makes money hand over first and the players, past and present, don't always make that kind of money. It's about labour vs. capital. Even in the case of millionaires I'll always take the side of labour...

Also the owners make money off these players lol. It's not like it's a one way relationship.