Dickerson carried teams in bygone era, paid price

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
By Mike Freeman | National NFL Insider
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.cbssports.com/columns/story/21697670/dickerson-carried-teams-in-bygone-era-paid-price" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.cbssports.com/columns/story/ ... paid-price</a>

d2AloUX.jpg

It was 1986 and running back Eric Dickerson and the Rams were playing the Chicago Bears and doing something that is rare today and will become even more so in the future -- he was a runner carrying the team on his back.

Dickerson had just finished playing the Bears on Monday night, and Chicago's defense was brutal. He carried the football 29 times for 111 yards and had three catches for 46 yards. As was the case with most of Dickerson's incredible career, he was basically the sole target for the defense at a time when defenses could pretty much do whatever manner of violence they desired to runners.

The Rams had a game six days later. On the team plane to New Orleans, Rams coach John Robinson approached Dickerson. "I know you just played a hard game," he said, "but do you think you could carry the ball 38 times in this next one if needed?"

"Yeah," Dickerson said, "I can."

Dickerson, for once, wouldn't need to, as he had 20 carries and five catches. But in the next several games he carried the football 24, 27, 31, 28 and 28 times. He would take massive shots. Dickerson was an elite talent but he was also a workhorse. It was an understated part of his career and something the vast majority of future runners will never be.

The hits Dickerson would endure, especially the head shots, would cause long-term damage. He suffers from memory loss, worries about the brain disease CTE and is one of thousands of players who have sued football.

"It used to be almost funny when I couldn't remember things then it stopped being funny when so many others players from [that] era also had these same problems," said Dickerson, a Hall of Famer. "I'll be in the middle of a sentence and forget what I was talking about. I forget the names of my friends."

Soon a group of young men hoping to be the next running back stars in professional football will be standing around in their underwear, then running and jumping for the NFL's talent evaluators at the combine in Indianapolis.

These runners enter football as their position has become the most devalued at any time in the history of the NFL. Running backs are VCRs in a DVD world. No one may ever do again what Adrian Peterson did last season -- including Peterson -- even in an 18-game season because you'll have a bunch of Kaepernicks and RG3s siphoning off touches.

The rules changes in offense -- both to lead to more explosive passing games and protect the health of players -- make the Dickerson era the last golden era of the great, durable back.

"To me, the game is softer now than when I played," said Dickerson, "but for these young players coming out of college now that will help them. These rules changes are good. They'll protect these young guys. These guys that are 20 years old, they don't understand. At one point, I thought I was invincible. But I wasn't.

"So while the running back isn't as big a deal today as it was when I played, the runners today might be able to leave football with their health more intact. We weren't protected in terms of the concussions. I'd get a concussion and the doctor would ask, 'How many fingers? What's today's date? What stadium are we in?' If I answered one question right, I got sent back in."

From roughly the late 1970s to the late 1990s, backs equaled the star power of quarterbacks as they routinely had 30 to 40 carries a game. Go down the list. The early outskirts of the golden runner era starts with names like Larry Csonka and continues into the meat of that era with names like Dickerson, Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith, Thurman Thomas, Walter Payton, Bo Jackson, John Riggins, Marcus Allen, Marshall Faulk, Tony Dorsett and Earl Campbell.

Even lesser known stars from that era like Gerald Riggs, Terrell Davis, Ricky Watters, O.J. Anderson, Rodney Hampton, Billy Sims, Marion Butts, Joe Washington, James Brooks, Mike Alstott, Joe Morris, Natrone Means, Chuck Muncie, Dave Meggett and Christian Okoye were dominant. On and on it goes.

The key for many of these runners was the fact they carried the ball a great many times. Not every runner. Not in every scenario. But most of the time. What young runners coming into football now will rarely see is the back being the center of an offense.

"Those were tough times for running backs," said Dickerson, "but they were great times."

nittany ram

Rookie
Selassie I said:
nighttrain said:
ED, the best pure RB i've ever seen..
train

EVER!

I and I,

Selassie I

Yup.

The biggest crime ever committed by Rams management against loyal Rams fans (and there have been a few) was trading Eric Dickerson to the Colts. They were too cheap to pay him what he worth so they unloaded him.

It was the biggest trade in NFL history and what did the Rams get in return for the greatest pure runner that ever put on a pair of cleats?

Future Hall of Mediocre inductees Frank Stams, Gaston Green, Darryl Henley, etc.

That trade caused the decade long blight known as the 90's and was a huge contributing factor in losing 17 straight to the hated 9'ers.

One of the biggest "what if's" in Rams history has to be "what if the Rams had kept Eric Dickerson?" Include him in an offense with Everett, Ellard, Anderson, Holohan, etc - orchestrated by Ernie Zampese?

That had the makings of a dynasty.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
nittany ram said:
Selassie I said:
nighttrain said:
train

EVER!

I and I,

Selassie I

Yup.

The biggest crime ever committed by Rams management against loyal Rams fans (and there have been a few) was trading Eric Dickerson to the Colts. They were too cheap to pay him what he worth so they unloaded him.

It was the biggest trade in NFL history and what did the Rams get in return for the greatest pure runner that ever put on a pair of cleats?

Future Hall of Mediocre inductees Frank Stams, Gaston Green, Darryl Henley, etc.

That trade caused the decade long blight known as the 90's and was a huge contributing factor in losing 17 straight to the hated 9'ers.

One of the biggest "what if's" in Rams history has to be "what if the Rams had kept Eric Dickerson?" Include him in an offense with Everett, Ellard, Anderson, Holohan, etc - orchestrated by Ernie Zampese?

True. Depressing, but true. Sigh.......

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
So true nittany.

And this is the very reason why john shaw will never be safe anywhere if left alone with me.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
nittany ram said:
Selassie I said:
nighttrain said:
train

EVER!

I and I,

Selassie I

Yup.

Man - so true. Of course they backed that up a few years later with Bettis. Sometimes it's a wonder how many of us are still fans after some of the stunts they pulled.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
nittany ram said:
Selassie I said:
nighttrain said:
train

EVER!

I and I,

Selassie I

Yup.

Not the worst move IMO.

Throwing Warner out of the locker room and doing it for no real reason other than Martz having pecker issues about who was the man and getting nothing in return for offing him was a worse move.

It was the worst ever move. Ever. Maybe by any pro sports club since the Reds offed Ruth.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Yes, Dickerson was an exceptional runner with a seemingly effortless stride, but (IMO) he was not a complete back on a number of levels. FWIW, I consider OJ Simpson the best natural runner of the era, that is until the beating he took in Buffalo slowed him down. I suspect had he begun his pro career behind the lines that Dickerson had, he'd have shined even more brightly.

Anyway, here's an anecdote from Dickerson's era. As I recall it was about a week or two into Dickersons first training camp and the local CBS station in LA (I was still living in the LA area) was interviewing John Robinson and Robinson quipped how that morning the RB's had run wind sprints while Robinson was on the field. Anyway, when it was Dickerson's turn Robinson closed his eyes and as Dickerson passed by him (he) couldn't hear a single sound, inferring I assume, upon the smoothness of his newest backs running style... :boing: