Desmond Trufant hits CB top 10; Trumaine Johnson on the spot

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...t-hits-cb-top-10-trumaine-johnson-on-the-spot

The Los Angeles defense has led the team to a surprising 3-1 record (tied with Seattle at the top of the NFC West), so it's time we turn our attention to this Rams secondary -- and specifically, CB Trumaine Johnson. The fifth-year pro is a solid cornerback and the main reason why the team didn't mind letting Janoris Jenkins go in the offseason. Johnson, who has eight passes defensed this year, is a big corner (6-foot-2, 208 pounds) with short-man quickness. He can get in and out of breaks quickly from a lateral standpoint and high-points the ball especially well. He has shown flashes of greatness in the first quarter of the season, but I need him to be more consistent on the island.

In the first two games of the season -- a shutout loss to the 49ers and a tight 9-3 win over Seattle in the home opener -- Johnson allowed four receptions for 13 yards on seven targets. Lately, though, he's struggled a bit. While shadowing Bucs star Mike Evans in Week 3, he gave up 10 receptions for 120 yards and a TD. And last week in the Rams' road win in Arizona, Johnson gave up six catches for 93 yards on 12 targets. That is 15.5 yards per catch, which is too much for my liking. He did, however, record his first interception of the season and had other opportunities for picks in that game.

I think Johnson takes plays off mentally, and cornerbacks can't do that in this league or they'll show up on the wrong side of the highlights. If he is on the field 100 plays, he needs to play 100 of them full out. Right now, he's playing 98.

Johnson will have a good test this weekend when Tyrod Taylor and the Bills come to town. Taylor extends a lot of plays and has many opportunities to step outside the pocket. Buffalo's wideouts have a lot of time to separate, so Johnson and the rest of the Rams' secondary must plaster the receivers. I'm eager to see if Johnson can do that and still make plays.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think this week Tru and Gaines will Teach People to respect our Secondary!!(y)(y):snicker::shades::cheers:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the writer is wrong...EJ Gaines was the main reason we didn't mind letting Janoris go...