Deshaun Watson wants to be traded. Bears?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I believe Watson is definitely serious right now. But if the Texans truly continue to play hardball I imagine that will change. Watson is definitely talented but what's the market for a 29 yr old qb who hasn't played in 4 years? He would likely get offers... but a guaranteed starting spot? Idk it depends what he NFL looks like in 4 years and how Watson spent his time. And that's not even considering the potential money loss. I've seen others mention he could go the Jalen Ramsay route and exaggerate an injury but he would still lose sponsor money.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I believe Watson is definitely serious right now. But if the Texans truly continue to play hardball I imagine that will change. Watson is definitely talented but what's the market for a 29 yr old qb who hasn't played in 4 years? He would likely get offers... but a guaranteed starting spot? Idk it depends what he NFL looks like in 4 years and how Watson spent his time. And that's not even considering the potential money loss. I've seen others mention he could go the Jalen Ramsay route and exaggerate an injury but he would still lose sponsor money.
You think they'd keep him on the roster to rot for 4 years? Nah, at most they keep him out this year and then definitely trade him next year. No way they hold onto him that entire time.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
They aren't sitting that man for 4 years. As someone said, one year sounds more like it. Texans aren't fucking around with their stance and giving in. Gonna be a long ass wait for Watson to be moved at this rate.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You think they'd keep him on the roster to rot for 4 years? Nah, at most they keep him out this year and then definitely trade him next year. No way they hold onto him that entire time.
No I think he will give in and play.

Jorgeh0605

No I think he will give in and play.
Didn't Carson Palmer do this to the Bengals before? Idk man, if he's serious he'll stay away for the season. But I'm a little biased because I would love to see football players like Watson and Wilson take a little bit more control of their careers. We'll see. I think he sits out the whole season and then the Texans trade him next year. Which is dumb because they will get more for him if they trade him this year. But that FO seems stubborn.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The draft is still 55 days away....
How long is 55 days?
Well, 55 days ago the Rams beat the Seahawks in the 1st round of the playoffs.
Thats a long time.....
He'll get traded as soon as one of these teams ponies up enough draft picks

PARAM

Hall of Fame
But I'm a little biased because I would love to see football players like Watson and Wilson take a little bit more control of their careers.

A bit more control is fine but......6 months ago he signed a 4 year contract for 156 mil with 73.6 guaranteed. What the hell went wrong in 6 months that justifies demanding a trade? He spend the money? That ain't control. That's aggravated rape.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
A bit more control is fine but......6 months ago he signed a 4 year contract for 156 mil with 73.6 guaranteed. What the hell went wrong in 6 months that justifies demanding a trade? He spend the money? That ain't control. That's aggravated rape.

Basically, Bob McNair died and left control to his son who hangs on every word of a conman (basically the Texans version of John Shaw). And then they hired a GM and a coach without consulting with Watson about the fit.

I'm on Watson's side in this.

Jorgeh0605

I mean, we know what went wrong. Watson was told he'd have more input in the team decisions and then was completely ignored. He gave them good faith and they didn't follow through. 100% on the Texans FO.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
From what I know, Deshaun Watson is a stand up guy and well-respected. The entire Texans organization is an embarrassment to the NFL and the city of Houston. Their fans deserve better.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I mean, we know what went wrong. Watson was told he'd have more input in the team decisions and then was completely ignored. He gave them good faith and they didn't follow through. 100% on the Texans FO.

"He gave them good faith"? He signed a contract for 156 mil with 73.5 mil guaranteed. So them saying "you'll have some input on team decisions" includes GM and HC hirings"? And the fact they hired somebody ( without his approval.....what island was he on?), means the cap hit punishment he's trying to saddle them with is fair repairations? BS.

These freaking guys who smile and sign these huge deals, then get butthurt because they didn't get to redesign the uniforms or get a say in who they hire as GM or HC or what free agents to get and how much to pay them are living in an alternate universe. You're a football player.....an extremely well paid football player.....STFU, drop the dramatics and play football. In other words, get over your bad self.

If it weren't for football many of these guys would be making a good living but nowhere near what they're getting paid in the NFL. And others would be managing at McDonalds or washing cars.

Last edited:

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Basically, Bob McNair died and left control to his son who hangs on every word of a conman (basically the Texans version of John Shaw). And then they hired a GM and a coach without consulting with Watson about the fit.

I'm on Watson's side in this.

Who is playing the John Shaw roll?

Jorgeh0605

"He gave them good faith"? He signed a contract for 156 mil with 73.5 mil guaranteed. So them saying "you'll have some input on team decisions" includes GM and HC hirings"? And the fact they hired somebody ( without his approval.....what island was he on?), means the cap hit punishment he's trying to saddle them with is fair repairations? BS.

These freaking guys who smile and sign these huge deals, then get butthurt because they didn't get to redesign the uniforms or get a say in who they hire as GM or HC or what free agents to get and how much to pay them are living in an alternate universe. You're a football player.....an extremely well paid football player.....STFU, drop the dramatics and play football. In other words, get over your bad self.

If it weren't for football many of these guys would be making a good living but nowhere near what they're getting paid in the NFL. And others would be managing at McDonalds or washing cars.

Look man, i don't care how ridiculous it may see for him to have input on team decisions. If FO told him they would listen to him, then they should follow through and take his input. If they don't blatantly lie to him then its not really a problem. But they did, so they deserve every bit of the hurt of their decision.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Look man, i don't care how ridiculous it may see for him to have input on team decisions. If FO told him they would listen to him, then they should follow through and take his input. If they don't blatantly lie to him then its not really a problem. But they did, so they deserve every bit of the hurt of their decision.

Okay MAN, that's one opinion.

Mine is he signed a 156 mil deal with 73 guaranteed and now that he has that deal, he wants Houston to trade him to somebody else who will continue paying him that money? Because he claims he was told he would be consulted on team decisions and wasnt asked about the GM? Maybe he was. Maybe he wasn't. Maybe he was on vacation and didn't get back to them fast enough. Maybe those team decisions were about the offense, maybe game plan, maybe free agents, etc. And now that he has butthurt and wants out, he wants to pick where he goes or at least severely limit their options?

Not cool. Sit out, or waive the no trade for all destinations! He's under contract and stands to strap them with some serious dead money. Fact is, he's got that deal and will receive the rest of that money.....either way...if he plays for them or they make a trade with somebody. The only way he doesn't get that money is by sitting out. If the relationship is irrepairable, there's nothing to lose is there? It's pretty simple. Waive the no trade for ALL teams.

If the situation is completely untenable, then out is all that matters, right?

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Mine is he signed a 156 mil deal with 73 guaranteed and now that he has that deal, he wants Houston to trade him to somebody else who will continue paying him that money? Because he claims he was told he would be consulted on team decisions and wasnt asked about the GM? Maybe he was. Maybe he wasn't. Maybe he was on vacation and didn't get back to them fast enough. Maybe those team decisions were about the offense, maybe game plan, maybe free agents, etc. And now that he has butthurt and wants out, he wants to pick where he goes or at least severely limit their options?

Not cool. Sit out, or waive the no trade for all destinations! He's under contract and stands to strap them with some serious dead money. Fact is, he's got that deal and will receive the rest of that money.....either way...if he plays for them or they make a trade with somebody. The only way he doesn't get that money is by sitting out. If the relationship is irrepairable, there's nothing to lose is there? It's pretty simple. Waive the no trade for ALL teams.

I don’t know where I sit on all issues here, but my general mindset is aligned with yours.

He signed a contract to be on a team. Not a contract to run the team. Other guys are paid to do that.

He had the choice to sign with the Texans or not. He chose to sign on. Nobody forced him to sign that contract, with that team.

If he wants to be the GM of the team, he should have asked for an interview when the team was filling it in January.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Good points. I guess the right answer would have been for him not to sign and get franchised for a year or two until they are forced to trade him or lose him. It is odd timing.

I can see Wilson’s point a bit easier. He’s aging and feels like he’s been held back and sort of like Stafford, wants a fresh start. But you are right. Watson shouldn’t have signed that contract. I wonder if it’s one of those deals where the agent knew he could take advantage of a poorly managed team and told Watson to get the money first.

Who would be the best fit to acquire Watson? If I’m Houston I’d want to send him to a bad team in hopes of getting better picks in return. Sending him to a top team doesn’t help as much, especially considering that they have to eat a pile of money. I would like to know what the best offers have been. I didn’t know the dead money was so big. That’s like trading Watson for picks, and then having a cap half as big as every other team. That’s got to be worth extra future picks to accelerate the delayed rebuild. I’d be asking this years first, first second and third in both 2022 & 2023 plus an interim QB. I’m not even sure that’s enough for a 25 year old top 5- 8 QB. Teams can go decades without finding one of them. If the picks were likely to be late in the round, then it’s likely not to be enough.