DeSean Jackson sees clear connection between him and Matthew Stafford, Rams and championship-caliber teams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DeSean Jackson sees clear connection between him and Matthew Stafford, Rams and championship-caliber teams​

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – For a wide receiver who has made a living quickly getting from Point A to Point B on a football field, making connections hasn't been too difficult for DeSean Jackson.

In that vein, it didn't take him long to figure out how to get on the same page with quarterback Matthew Stafford, or connect the Rams with championship-caliber team's he played on previously.

In both instances, it comes down to knowing his role.

Having developed a reputation as one of the NFL's premiere deep threats during his 13-year career with a career average of 17.4 yards per reception, Jackson knows that if he continues to do what he does best, he'll get in sync with Stafford, whose arm talent should help Jackson continue making the big plays he's accustomed to. Last season, Stafford tied with the Browns' Baker Mayfield and the Texans' Deshaun Watson for for the sixth-highest average intended air yards with 9.0.

"You continue to be great and just throw the ball, and I'm going to continue to be great and run past everybody and use my speed," Jackson said during a June 8 video conference. "I think that's the good niche about it. We're just going to be dialed in and continuously learn the plays, and once the season starts, we'll be in rare form."

Speaking of connectedness, Jackson witnessed it first hand on a broader scale in his first day with the team, noting the group's demeanor "from the top down" with people like head coach Sean McVay, cornerback Jalen Ramsey, defensive lineman Aaron Donald, quarterback Matthew Stafford, and wide receivers Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp setting the tone. It was one of the earliest signs to Jackson that the Rams have what it takes to compete for a championship this season.

"I've been on teams where certain individuals had contract issues or personal issues, or had a situation with a GM or a player, (but) when you come here, you don't feel none of that," Jackson said. "You feel like everyone's on the same page, everybody has one common goal, and all the personal stuff, outside of the football world, none of that stuff matters. When you come here, we're worried about football, we're having fun, we're going to get the most out of it and guys are fired up about coming into this building."

In some ways, it reminds Jackson of the team he first entered the NFL with.

The 2008 second-round pick out of Cal landed with the Eagles, which had veterans Donovan McNabb, Brian Westbrook and Brian Dawkins in their locker room. Dawkins had just completed his 12th season in Philadelphia, McNabb his ninth, Westbrook his sixth when Jackson arrived. The Eagles later advanced to the NFC Championship game that season.

"It was a certain persona those guys upheld," Jackson said. "The main guys on the team, the head coach was Andy Reid, they had a demeanor where, all these young guys, I don't care if you were a first-rounder or a big-time free agent, you knew when you stepped into that room or on that field there was certain guys you respected. And those guys you respected held accountability to every player, from top to bottom."

The ingredients are there for a potential Super Bowl run back home for Jackson, not to mention SoFi Stadium hosting Super Bowl 56. Between connecting with Stafford and the established culture, as well as the veterans he learned from as a young player, Jackson knows what it will take to make that happen.

"For me, it doesn't even really come down to the stats and the statistics anymore, man," Jackson said. "Because at the end of the day, I've accomplished a lot of great things. These last few years, I've been giving (it) my all to being a guy that's not a self guy, to being a guy that's about the team and really putting in on the line. Whatever it is I need to do, in addition to me still getting my plays and still scoring them long touchdowns, it can all be worked out. I'm just happy and excited, and hopefully my role, whatever my role is, I can do it to the best of my abilities."

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

DeSean Jackson: It's going to be 'mind-boggling' for defenses trying to stop Rams​

You’ve probably heard by now that the Los Angeles Rams offense has a lot of playmakers on it. Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp, Tyler Higbee, DeSean Jackson, Cam Akers, Darrell Henderson, Van Jefferson. The list goes on.

This isn’t to say they’re automatically going to have a top-10 offense, but with Matthew Stafford at the helm and Sean McVay calling the plays, the sky is the limit in L.A.

Jackson has been on quite a few good offenses in his career but he can’t help but be excited about the group the Rams have assembled. On NFL Network recently, he said it’s going to be mind-boggling for defenses trying to slow down Los Angeles’ offense.

“Really just having the playmaker skill ability with the other wide receivers, the other running backs, tight ends. With a quarterback like Matthew Stafford, it’s really mind-boggling for other defenses or defensive coordinators to be sitting back, like, ‘Man, how we going to stop these dudes?’ For me, I’ve been on some pretty good receiving corps, but Robert and Coop, in addition to Van and Tutu, it’s going to be scary,” he said on “NFL Total Access.”

Jackson said he would’ve considered retiring this offseason if the right opportunity didn’t present itself, but thankfully, McVay and the Rams came calling. Jackson has been wanting to play for McVay again since their time together in Washington, and the two will reunite this year on a team with Super Bowl aspirations.

Jackson says the terminology is pretty similar to what it was in Washington with McVay, and he’s just thrilled to be back with the brilliant young coach.

“For me, I just look at it as being in a position where I have an offensive-minded coach like Sean McVay who’s in-tune and who knows how to put his players in position to win, first-off is the biggest concern for a veteran receiver like myself,” Jackson said. “And just having that fit and being able to gel together and being in a similar offense, a similar system where I know a lot that what we did in Washington is switched up a little bit but the terminology is pretty much the same.”

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Please tell me it is not so but I thought I saw that Jackson has been in the NFL for 13 seasons.