Depth at QB Not at DEFCON 1

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
article-0-15B2F7AA000005DC-668_634x473.jpg

When pontificating about your back-up quarterback scenario in the NFL most of the time it’s similar to reading something like “Death of Salesman” it just leaves you empty and wondering why did you even venture down that road. However, with the recent article about the Rams Fort Lewis College product in Tim Jenkins I thought putting number two & three under the microscope would lead to some discussion and WTH? It’s freakin June and we are still several weeks away from training camp.

Austin Davis (2)…With his stellar play in pre-season Austin Davis from the college that brought us Brett Favre (Southern Mississippi) is now the 2nd string QB and is a heart beat away from playing every Sunday. Our hope as Ram fans is to only see Davis with a cool hat not donned backwards and head set on the sideline with the exception of some mop up duty which would be nice because it’s been a long time since the Rams have been able to do that.

Now most of us realize stellar play in pre-season is like saying “She has a great personality” however, Davis did showcase the ability to make plays and more importantly to keep plays alive. He offers a little something different than Bradford from a scrambling standpoint and also showcased some ability during the regular season (practice) because Jeff Fisher came away very impressed with Davis and thus his promotion to number 2. The only issue with Davis is that he has not been battle tested, but IMO that can be overrated because I would rather have a guy with some upside than someone else who has proven to be a failure and if Austin Davis is called upon I don’t think any us would be abandoning ship and with another year under the tutelage of QB Coach Frank Cignetti, he should be even better.

Kellen Clemens (3)…When the Rams put in a waiver claim for Clemens back in 2011 I was so pissed at Spagnuolo/Devaney. The regime had proven time & time again that they did a horrendous job of managing the roster and once again it had reared its ugly head. The current number 3 Tom Brandstater was so ill prepared that the Rams had to put in the claim for the worst QB ever in Clemens. That was my opinion at the time watching him play with the Jets, but a funny thing happen in 2011, IMO Clemens actually played better than I though he was.

Now granted he was not Frank Reich, Earl Morrall or even Don Strock, but he impressed me with his legs and he took quite a few shots never complained and got right back up to make another play. Did make some nice throws and the last game against the 49ers kept competing to the end and that in it self impressed me in more ways than one. Believe me as soon as another kid like Davis comes along with some ability I am all for keeping that type, but Clemens as a number 3 is a good fit for the Rams and he’s a great locker room guy which goes along way IMO.

Overall we hope that any substantial play of Davis & Clemens is pre-season, however, IMO the Rams are in better shape at this position then they’ve been in a long time. Bradford is a bona fide number one and ready to move into the upper echelon of signal callers around league this season. Austin Davis is moving on up to the East Side and would still give the Rams the opportunity to win at number three Kellen Clemens has had game day experience and is an asset on and off the field. You do realize that when Tim Jenkins comes in late in pre-season and takes off and scrambles over forty yards for a touch down this post goes all to hell.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Re: Depth at QB Not A Code Red

I like our back up situation... but just like most every team the thought of having to play without the starter makes me cringe.

Like the article; Austin Davis is a bit of an unknown still. We'll learn more in the preseason.

I had mixed feelings of Clemons until as of late. The thread here at ROD made a lot of sense for the support Clemons brings to the quarterback unit.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan

den-the-coach thinking (correctly) that we'd rag him about this post if it happened:
You do realize that when Tim Jenkins comes in late in pre-season and takes off and scrambles over forty yards for a touch down this post goes all to hell.
Do you think? :rofl:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

I don't like Bradford's posture in that picture. He seems disinterested. He lacks leadership.

On a serious note, good post!

I think we all suffer from pre-season heroism when it comes to backup QBs, but that wouldn't make us any different (as a fan base) than any other team's fans I suppose. That said, Austin (not unlike Thaddeus Lewis) did appear to have an innate ability to move around and extend plays to the team's benefit. I really WOULD like to see that kind of a performance during real games, however, before I decide he's the heir apparent.

Clemens is Clemens. We know what we have in him, and he'll probably never give a game away. As an emergency reserve, you can't ask for more than that. He knows Schotty's system, he can serve as a player/coach for the backups, and he can be that extra set of eyes until he's no longer needed. As long as the Rams keep extending Austin (too many Austin's on this team, btw), then guys like Clemens will always find a way on this team.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

X said:
As long as the Rams keep extending Austin (too many Austin's on this team, btw), then guys like Clemens will always find a way on this team.

Then refer to QB Austin Davis as "Davis" and WR Tavon Austin as "Austin" until they hook up as a TD tandem and then it's Austin Power! :cool:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

den-the-coach said:
X said:
As long as the Rams keep extending Austin (too many Austin's on this team, btw), then guys like Clemens will always find a way on this team.

Then refer to QB Austin Davis as "Davis" and WR Tavon Austin as "Austin" until they hook up as a TD tandem and then it's Austin Power! :cool:
What about Austin Pettis? Just Pettis? That's too informal. How about AP?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Good read man. And is that Slim Shady in the middle? :tooth:

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael

Code Red at the hospital I work at means a fire.

Just thought I'd throw that out there

That is all

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB

But we dont have Bill Bajema as our emergency backup QB anymore :bummed: :shifty:

lockdnram21

Legend

I think tim jenkins will beat out at least Clemens maybe davis. Kind of reminds me of collin kap but kaps a little faster

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

lockdnram21 said:
I think tim jenkins will beat out at least Clemens maybe davis. Kind of reminds me of collin kap but kaps a little faster

Seriously? Unless this is tongue & cheek you'll have to post more than this as to why Tim Jenkins reminds you of Colin Rand Kaepernick? Please...Explain :huhidk: