Denver's OLB Von Miller traded to Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
With how he’s played, and what you invested, you’ve got to sign him.

He’s ABSOLUTELY worth what they traded.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Miller has had the near winning sack in both the whiner game and in this game. That game we had the win in our hands up 24-17 when he got the sack with 2 min left forcing a punt. This game Rams were up 27-13 with 4+ minutes left and it looked like that was it after his strip sack before the almost-meltdown. Von has been the man near the end of the game both times with a clutch sack! I was thinking please Rams don't waste that opp too!

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
At the time of the trade, my buddy told me he’s washed up and it was a bad trade
There were some Donkey fans saying that he was never the same since 2016 or some shit. A few others were bummed that he got traded. They can have a nice time rebuilding for all I care.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just don't know that he's a realistic resigning. We are likely to keep OBJ because well McVay and how much OBJ loves being here. Noteboom is also a must signing. Gotta have money for the draft class and after those there's just not a lot of money left to throw around. I'd be happy beyond words if we could keep him even just for another year but I fear he's not going to be back. We may however spend a high pick on another OLB because unfortunately Lewis can't stay healthy and OBO is a free agent as well. We could see another cheap free agent OLB vet in on a prove it deal as well. Would love him back just not sure it will happen.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just don't know that he's a realistic resigning. We are likely to keep OBJ because well McVay and how much OBJ loves being here. Noteboom is also a must signing. Gotta have money for the draft class and after those there's just not a lot of money left to throw around. I'd be happy beyond words if we could keep him even just for another year but I fear he's not going to be back. We may however spend a high pick on another OLB because unfortunately Lewis can't stay healthy and OBO is a free agent as well. We could see another cheap free agent OLB vet in on a prove it deal as well. Would love him back just not sure it will happen.
Use cap magic to get it done lol.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Would love it! Just don't want to go into it thinking it will be easy to get done to be let down.
Yeah, our cap situation is rough. We'll need to basically go all in on a short-term window and be prepared to dump a lot of dead money into a season down the road right after that window ends and accept a bad year. It'll also help if Stafford is willing to extend his deal on favorable terms.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I've gone back and forth but at this point I think Von is a one year rental. And I'm fine with that. Let's try to cash in here and then prioritize the guys who are younger with more window left.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, our cap situation is rough. We'll need to basically go all in on a short-term window and be prepared to dump a lot of dead money into a season down the road right after that window ends and accept a bad year. It'll also help if Stafford is willing to extend his deal on favorable terms.
Whit frees up some but that will likely all go to Boom or at least the majority of it since they can make his base next year minimal but guarantee later bonuses(not that I need to say that to you).

Stafford can be restructured/extended

Several guys will be in the last year of their rookie deal which would save a million or so like Rapp, Lewis, Hendo, Burgess, Evans Gaines and Edwards though a couple of those more than deserve new deals to stick around.

There's always the distasteful though of Woods being traded which would save like $5 million ish if we do it before his roster bonus. No not advocating this just bringing it up.

Fuck the rest of this though lets enjoy the day and move to SF before we think about this!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Whit frees up some but that will likely all go to Boom or at least the majority of it since they can make his base next year minimal but guarantee later bonuses(not that I need to say that to you).

Stafford can be restructured/extended

Several guys will be in the last year of their rookie deal which would save a million or so like Rapp, Lewis, Hendo, Burgess, Evans Gaines and Edwards though a couple of those more than deserve new deals to stick around.

There's always the distasteful though of Woods being traded which would save like $5 million ish if we do it before his roster bonus. No not advocating this just bringing it up.

Fuck the rest of this though lets enjoy the day and move to SF before we think about this!
This is what I'm thinking if we want to maximize cap in 2022:
Whitworth retires. That saves $15.5 million.
Extend Stafford for four years giving him minimal base salary in 2022 and a good-sized signing bonus ($20 million). Put a massive "option bonus" in 2023 that's the real signing bonus for the new deal (that will be prorated). That'll save roughly $18 million.
Convert portions of Ramsey's, Kupp's, and/or Floyd's base salaries into signing bonuses. That could save anywhere between $15 million and $35 million. (Possibly more if we want to use void years.)

The challenge in trading Bobby Woods is that he likely can't pass a physical until later in the offseason (which would mean eating his roster bonus). Anyways, point is that if we want to push a bunch of dead money into future years. We can do it. We can open up enough to bring back everybody we want to bring back.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is what I'm thinking if we want to maximize cap in 2022:
Whitworth retires. That saves $15.5 million.
Extend Stafford for four years giving him minimal base salary in 2022 and a good-sized signing bonus ($20 million). Put a massive "option bonus" in 2023 that's the real signing bonus for the new deal (that will be prorated). That'll save roughly $18 million.
Convert portions of Ramsey's, Kupp's, and/or Floyd's base salaries into signing bonuses. That could save anywhere between $15 million and $35 million. (Possibly more if we want to use void years.)

The challenge in trading Bobby Woods is that he likely can't pass a physical until later in the offseason (which would mean eating his roster bonus). Anyways, point is that if we want to push a bunch of dead money into future years. We can do it. We can open up enough to bring back everybody we want to bring back.
Yup all doable! But something to be looked at later after we win the Super Bowl!

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I say go full gimmick deals next year, pay the piper down the road.

Either way, Von is a priority over OBJ, especially after you gave up picks for him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think the Rams are planning to have a down year to recoup losses and reset things. I think they plan on making this work every year they have McVay. They sort of have already.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I don't think the Rams are planning to have a down year to recoup losses and reset things. I think they plan on making this work every year they have McVay. They sort of have already.
I think there are enough contracts to convert and to extend to create enough money to basically run it back.
They need to because of the picks they invested in this season.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Letting Whit retire, SJD walk, and restructuring Stafford creates a ton of space just there. All the Goff and Gurley money comes off the books this off-season.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Letting Whit retire, SJD walk, and restructuring Stafford creates a ton of space just there. All the Goff and Gurley money comes off the books this off-season.
They've got to do much more than that.. the good news is, they can.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think there are enough contracts to convert and to extend to create enough money to basically run it back.
They need to because of the picks they invested in this season.
I don't foresee problems. They have the best coach in this league IMO. And they also have the best cap guy in the league in Demoff. Seems to me at least that we are always squared as we go and I expect that to continue.

They're gonna have to let some guys leave. But they won't go too unstable with the cap and they will put together another strong roster.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I don't foresee problems. They have the best coach in this league IMO. And they also have the best cap guy in the league in Demoff. Seems to me at least that we are always squared as we go and I expect that to continue.

They're gonna have to let some guys leave. But they won't go too unstable with the cap and they will put together another strong roster.
I'm fascinated to see what OBJ does.
He ain't gonna play for free.. but is there a below-market number the Rams can hit that he says... "Fuck yeah.. I'm having fun in LA!!!"

I would think it's good for the endorsement life and for life in general. He's made $80 million in the NFL.. what's enough?