Denver postgame thoughts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Wanted to put it up before my brain cells leak out my ears as they are wont to after draining this much beer (hic!)...

First team

Keenum was very sharp. His execution along with the first team offense really had Denver on their heels and they were seriously frustrated by it as shown by that hit out of bounds. Only had one poor throw/decision, but that's gonna happen against a defense like Denver's. We really might have the makings of a good/solid offense. Goff looked solid with the first team, made a couple nice reads and throws but of course Denver had DBs right there and were all over the Rams' tendencies scheme-wise.

Britt really looks good, I obviously underestimated the guy; he seems to have made some strides under Groh's tutelage. Quick held onto the ball. I was amazed. Then he did it a couple more times. I was flabbergasted. Cooper's catch of that well placed ball by Goff was outstanding. Starters showed up in this game.

TEs played well. Kendricks looks really sure handed now, it's great to see. Higbee was wide open on a couple plays early. On the completion to Kendricks which was nice I am pretty sure I noticed Higbee open down the sideline but will need to rewatch it.

RBs of course looked good vs one of the best defenses in the league (again, since they saw KC last week too!). First team OL is dominant, plain and simple. Cannot wait to see them with Gurley in the backfield.

Defense was dominant for the first time this preseason. Our starting front seven were having their way. Ogletree had his first really good game in the middle. Gaines went out worried about him.

Second team

Goff had some issues once that first team got subbed out. Line protections went first, followed by drops.

WRs were extremely disappointing. I don't think any of them were ready to be covered the way Phillips had those DBs playing. Drops all over the joint and it continued through to the end of the game. Kept wishing Spruce had been healthy for Jared's time with second string, think he would have made a big difference.

Higbee was in there for a while and I expected to see him flash but he got manhandled by the Denver defense pretty good. That said I don't think they were trying to feed him or anything, but he got some real lame looks like that quick out that Goff almost completed for a defensive TD.

RB lanes dried up pretty good with the twos. They got some good runs still, but it was tough going. Second team OL got worked over but good. Williams was a liability once he got into the game, very disappointing showing by him. Just a bad group job of sealing rushers up front and penetration in the run game.

Defense had a drive against the Denver ones and it showed up front. After that it was hit and miss, they got gashed way too much for my liking in the run game. Friendly fire on Hill by a safety who will be cut next week, hope he's ok.

Third team

Mannion came down to earth a bit. He made a couple real tough throws in the face of the rush but overall like Goff he faced a very stout rush with receivers that can't hang onto the ball.

There's gonna be a lot of WRs cut next week. Good riddance to many of them, too. Start with the all-athlete non-hands types first, there's plenty of them to choose from.

Magee had a nice run that ended up not gaining anything in points due to drops and pressure breakdowns in/near the redzone.

Third team LBs came in and did a good job. I like the little I saw of Grigsby.

Overall

It's important to note that the Rams didn't seem to adjust offensively to what Wade and company did defensively. Faulk noted on the failed third and short that was dropped by Thomas (big surprise) that there was flat-out open field all behind that CB but the Rams played right into the defensive call. Is that due to preseason? Gotta think they would be able to check into a go route or crosser in that situation. I suspect they got good work out of the ones and pretty much put the gameplan on ice but I'd like to hear what Fish thinks on that.

I am very happy with how this team looked with the ones in there. They looked like a playoff team man, a team that was giving Denver everything they could handle across the board. So for my money it was a great result overall.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I watched Ogletree again, and his play made me wonder why we stuck James L. so long....

Mick

Pro Bowler
Nice post Merlin...well said. Only thing I can add is that dropped passes and FGs are 7-9 bullshit, and we can't do that this year. I think we are on the upswing with this team...excited for the regular season to get here so we can stand for the pledge, then kick the 49ers in the pills.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Tree played very well, so did Barron even though it was as evident in the box score. Broncos watched our earlier first team defenses performance against the run and thought they could come out and just run all over us, but full strength including Quinn Tree and co said youll get nothing and like it.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Forgot to mention how nice it was hearing Dickerson and Faulk doing the play-by analysis (SoCal feed). Man it made watching the game enjoyable.

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
The team is still plagued with 7-9 bullshit. No way you only get 3 FGs on the board this game. Preseason or not, defending champs or not.

I feel like I was saying this same shit 2 years ago... and I'm still saying it again in 2016. Please don't extend Fisher BEFORE we get to see what this team does the first few weeks.

Ladoc

UDFA
Name
Garth
This game certainly made the case to keep Spruce. He obviously does what no one else can do. Catch the ball. They can not let him go.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Watching game now. Late 1st qtr. Starting D looks good. Same with the O considering who they're facing.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I watched Ogletree again, and his play made me wonder why we stuck James L. so long....
a couple of times the announcers noted "now thats how you play middle linebacker" when talking about Ogletree. he's a lot faster than james was. (ever, for that matter).

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
The team is still plagued with 7-9 bullcrap. No way you only get 3 FGs on the board this game. Preseason or not, defending champs or not.

I feel like I was saying this same crap 2 years ago... and I'm still saying it again in 2016. Please don't extend Fisher BEFORE we get to see what this team does the first few weeks.
I'll start to worry when we're in the regular season, and we aren't converting RZ trips into TDs. It's really hard to evaluate our O w/o Gurley in the lineup. Even when the ball isn't in his hands the D needs to respect him, which in turn gives the other skill position players better 1 on 1 matchup opportunities. Todd has been on the field for all of one series this preseason, a possession in which we scored 7.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The team is still plagued with 7-9 bullcrap. No way you only get 3 FGs on the board this game. Preseason or not, defending champs or not.

I feel like I was saying this same crap 2 years ago... and I'm still saying it again in 2016. Please don't extend Fisher BEFORE we get to see what this team does the first few weeks.

the lack of #1 receiver is GLARING on this offense in the red zone. NO ONE, on that field before halftime , would put a scare into any defense, let alone the defending champs. (wow, now THAT is a TOP 5 defense folks.........most pass plays there was a defender if not waiting, right there after a dro....i mean catch). Rams secondary isnt even close to theirs. their DLine/backers know they can get to the QB due to excellent coverage. most of the Rams DB's show up after the catch. #32 can tackle at least. Joyner should watch what he does.
BTW, why didnt Gurley dress and why so little involvement with Tavon ? I did like the Keenum read/option pass to (kendricks)? . at least the pass routes are going a little farther downfield.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Watching game now. Late 1st qtr. Starting D looks good. Same with the O considering who they're facing.
i'll have to give props to Greg Robinson. he looked good against a very good DLine.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Wanted to put it up before my brain cells leak out my ears as they are wont to after draining this much beer (hic!)...

First team

Keenum was very sharp. His execution along with the first team offense really had Denver on their heels and they were seriously frustrated by it as shown by that hit out of bounds. Only had one poor throw/decision, but that's gonna happen against a defense like Denver's. We really might have the makings of a good/solid offense. Goff looked solid with the first team, made a couple nice reads and throws but of course Denver had DBs right there and were all over the Rams' tendencies scheme-wise.

Britt really looks good, I obviously underestimated the guy; he seems to have made some strides under Groh's tutelage. Quick held onto the ball. I was amazed. Then he did it a couple more times. I was flabbergasted. Cooper's catch of that well placed ball by Goff was outstanding. Starters showed up in this game.

TEs played well. Kendricks looks really sure handed now, it's great to see. Higbee was wide open on a couple plays early. On the completion to Kendricks which was nice I am pretty sure I noticed Higbee open down the sideline but will need to rewatch it.

RBs of course looked good vs one of the best defenses in the league (again, since they saw KC last week too!). First team OL is dominant, plain and simple. Cannot wait to see them with Gurley in the backfield.

Defense was dominant for the first time this preseason. Our starting front seven were having their way. Ogletree had his first really good game in the middle. Gaines went out worried about him.

Second team

Goff had some issues once that first team got subbed out. Line protections went first, followed by drops.

WRs were extremely disappointing. I don't think any of them were ready to be covered the way Phillips had those DBs playing. Drops all over the joint and it continued through to the end of the game. Kept wishing Spruce had been healthy for Jared's time with second string, think he would have made a big difference.

Higbee was in there for a while and I expected to see him flash but he got manhandled by the Denver defense pretty good. That said I don't think they were trying to feed him or anything, but he got some real lame looks like that quick out that Goff almost completed for a defensive TD.

RB lanes dried up pretty good with the twos. They got some good runs still, but it was tough going. Second team OL got worked over but good. Williams was a liability once he got into the game, very disappointing showing by him. Just a bad group job of sealing rushers up front and penetration in the run game.

Defense had a drive against the Denver ones and it showed up front. After that it was hit and miss, they got gashed way too much for my liking in the run game. Friendly fire on Hill by a safety who will be cut next week, hope he's ok.

Third team

Mannion came down to earth a bit. He made a couple real tough throws in the face of the rush but overall like Goff he faced a very stout rush with receivers that can't hang onto the ball.

There's gonna be a lot of WRs cut next week. Good riddance to many of them, too. Start with the all-athlete non-hands types first, there's plenty of them to choose from.

Magee had a nice run that ended up not gaining anything in points due to drops and pressure breakdowns in/near the redzone.

Third team LBs came in and did a good job. I like the little I saw of Grigsby.

Overall

It's important to note that the Rams didn't seem to adjust offensively to what Wade and company did defensively. Faulk noted on the failed third and short that was dropped by Thomas (big surprise) that there was flat-out open field all behind that CB but the Rams played right into the defensive call. Is that due to preseason? Gotta think they would be able to check into a go route or crosser in that situation. I suspect they got good work out of the ones and pretty much put the gameplan on ice but I'd like to hear what Fish thinks on that.

I am very happy with how this team looked with the ones in there. They looked like a playoff team man, a team that was giving Denver everything they could handle across the board. So for my money it was a great result overall.
I agree with your observations about the game. I would like to say that Goff is going to be special. He needs more reps with the ones to get there. I think it's unorthodox but they should start splitting the reps with the 1s for Case and Goff. Sooner or later the kid is going to start and he needs the reps. I also think the team is keeping the offense vanilla and that Tavon is going to get featured a lot more than we have seen to this point. With Goff/Case , Gurley, Britt, Austin, Cooper, Kendricks and Higbee our offense will be much improved. The Oline will be very good. I can't wait till the season starts.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Forgot to mention how nice it was hearing Dickerson and Faulk doing the play-by analysis (SoCal feed). Man it made watching the game enjoyable.
I really enjoyed them too! Nice job by the crew.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Someone else noted earlier that Goff is our only QB who can consistently throw good balls up the seams. Which made me think:

When Goff (hopefully) becomes the starter this year can our passing game flourish w/our TEs carrying the offense (Outside of what Gurley and TA obviously bring to the table)?

Goff already has notable chemistry with Higbee and seems to hook up with Cooper often in the slot. Lance has had a great camp/preseason as well. Can our O get by this year with minimal production on the outside and roughly 1,000 yards between Lance and Higbee?

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Words of Eric Dickerson, Mannion should be the #2, behind Keenum. Does the pro Goff crowd object to the words of a hall of famer?

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
Ogletree was laying the wood tonight! I got the broncos announcers so they didn't say anything about his play--I wish I could have heard what our guys said.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ogletree was laying the wood tonight! I got the broncos announcers so they didn't say anything about his play--I wish I could have heard what our guys said.
Actually they did..One of them said "Now that's how MLB is played" after Ogletree made a play behind the LOS

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
Anyone else notice how TERRIBLE LT #63 Darrell Williams was? He looked like a traffic cone vs 3rd-4th stringers. Isiah Battle should beat him out by default. That was a terrible display. Our starting defense was very good (no surprise here). Offense was decent but need to get TDs sometimes and not just FGs. Im ok with Goff sitting for awhile and letting Keenum start.