Demoff on KMOX

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/?podcast_ur ... id=CBS.STL

The St. Louis Rams had another big week completing their trade with the Washington Redskins, plus signing free agents Cortland Finnegan, Scott Wells & Kendall Langford. Rams VP of Football Operations/COO Kevin Demoff joins the show.

[mp3]http://cbsstlouis.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/3-18-demoff.mp3[/mp3]

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
So Kevin says they are still looking for a couple of OL in FA and a QB. I guess Eric Winston was going to take up too much of that 10 Mil? And what is wrong with Kellen Clemons as a backup QB? A LB in FA? Any guesses on who they may be targeting there?

Anonymous

Ramhusker said:
So Kevin says they are still looking for a couple of OL in FA and a QB. I guess Eric Winston was going to take up too much of that 10 Mil? And what is wrong with Kellen Clemons as a backup QB? A LB in FA? Any guesses on who they may be targeting there?

I wouldn't take that too literally. No way they can afford all that.

BTW, this interview, it's a good one.

People will want to give it a listen.

And yes Demoff did seem to say that they have about 10 M under the cap aside from the money already earmarked for the draft.

If true that puts the 2012 cap hits for Langford and Wells at about 4-5 M each.

Cullen Bryant

Rookie
Name
Will
Heard Snead on NFLradio today, said they're looking for a starting guard either in FA or the draft and that they like Saffold and Smith. Sounded to me like they are planning on Smith being the starting RT.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Cullen Bryant said:
Heard Snead on NFLradio today, said they're looking for a starting guard either in FA or the draft and that they like Saffold and Smith. Sounded to me like they are planning on Smith being the starting RT.
Then they better not only coach him (Smith) the hell up, but he better work his ass off too. We all always seem to blame the coaching, but as a professional, Smith needs to take the responsibility of getting better, and his footwork last year was atrocious...had NOTHING to do with scheme or a shortened season.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
DR RAM said:
Cullen Bryant said:
Then they better not only coach him (Smith) the hell up, but he better work his ass off too. We all always seem to blame the coaching, but as a professional, Smith needs to take the responsibility of getting better, and his footwork last year was atrocious...had NOTHING to do with scheme or a shortened season.
I never heard that Smith is lazy. I thought that was one of the reasons the Rams took him...that he had potential and work ethic. I wonder if the concussions have affected his concentration and thought speed so that he is thinking too much out there.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
Cullen Bryant said:

I got to agree, Smith needs a fire lit under him just to see what he can do. Benching him for Goldberg didn't seem to work. Could it be that 33 mil. guaranteed has had a effect on him. Also I think everyone on that line regressed last year just not Smith. Even Dahl didn't look as good as he did with ATL., tho he still played very well.
To me the questions I have about Smith is has he been Medically cleared to resume football activities yet? If not will he be by training camp? Thomas the beat rider said in a interview he had been trying to find out.

If the Rams keep Smith they will have to get a backup that is good enough to start and play at a high level. Can they really count on him not to get concussed again till he proves he can stay healthy.

He might have already restructured his contract, but it hasn't been announced yet making it worth the risk of giving him a shot to win a job. But IMO if he plays as bad this year in camp as he did last he won't make the 53 regardless.

And in the NFL they say they like a player right till they cut him.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Good to know the NHL is all a-buzz about the Rams. :sly:

It would seem that we are likely done with the real flashy signings. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they brought in a couple of O-linemen - one as a hopeful starter and another as a depth pick-up. It is pretty obvious they are looking at a lot of QBs to back up Sam. I think they can do all that under the cap.

I like our chances to get a pretty good WR in the draft. Floyd could be the pick there and a possible stud right out of the gate. Y'all know I like Hill. I suppose my top four would be Floyd, Hill, Blackmon, Randle. I know - I'm off my rocker because I have Floyd and Hill above Blackmon but hell... I don't get paid for this and rightly so. I just see more potential from Floyd and Hill. I don't see them doing much about the position in FA. I get the feeling they are not sold that the receivers in FA were worth their selling price.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Demoff is a cap wizard. IDK how he does it.

We started FA 21 million under the cap. We signed Finnegan to a deal that pays 10 million a year(He'll only count 6 million against the cap this year). That leaves us with 15 million.

Then we signed Langford, Wells, and set aside $ for the draft. Somehow that all only counts 5 million against the cap :shock: Not quite sure how that math works, but i'll live with it.