Demoff: Move to LA in the works since summer of 2013

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I guess, but I don't see why people get so hung up on that aspect of it, as if it's something that is unique to them. So me a person with the ability to communicate, and I'll show you a person who lies when they feel it's necessary (and in some cases just for shits and giggles)... Stan said one thing when he first took over, and we have no way of knowing how sincere he was or wasn't about that. When people get upset that he was looking at LA years prior, was that not expected? Hell, I don't know jack crap about business, but I know that you always have a plan B to whatever you were doing. When I was applying to grad school, I applied to a bunch of schools at the same time, I didn't apply to one, and only after hearing if they were going to accept/deny me plan my next move. I fully expected that Stan had a plan B, plan C, hell probably all the way to a plan Z, why wouldn't he? He put his offer towards St Louis, and if they said no, then he knew he'd need to act quickly on his plan B, because it could close really fast. St Louis said no, he found his site a few weeks later, and made his move.

The idea that Stan would have moved to LA in 10 years regardless doesn't make sense to me, because at that time, AEG and Spanos were deep in negotiations for the Chargers to relocate into Farmers Field next to Staples Center. While they fell apart, there is no way that Kroenke could guarantee that by 2025 he would be able to relocate to Los Angeles, because there was no way he could guarantee that it would be open. Stan most likely had several different plans in mind including renovating the dome, moving to LA, moving to another city, or building a brand new complex in St Louis. Someone as successful as himself always leave themselves with several options.

So while yes, he said he was going to do whatever he could, we don't know how sincere he was when he said that, and we don't know what went through his mind as the situation changed. What we do know is that the situation changed. In terms of Demoff, he was following orders, from both Stan and the NFL. He told the Task Force, CVC, and both the local and state government that the Rams had no intention of remaining in St Louis after they made their move for LA, and all of those entities decided instead to tell the public that they felt they had a chance and inspire hope. You can blame him, but it's just as equally the fault of those as well, as they lied to the fans far more often than he did.

I don't think they would either for the most part, but that was always what people said as evidence that the NFL would stop the Rams from moving. The NFL has to use a delicate touch, they need to give themselves as much freedom and flexibility as they can, while maintaining a high level of fan confidence.. If fans are worried that their teams may up and relocate, then they're less likely to spend their money. The NFL wants to let themselves do whatever they want while maintaining the illusion that they have rules to stop themselves. It's all a well choreographed play for the fans.

Look I agree with a lot of what you said. I don't blame him for having back up plans, wanting to conduct the business the way he wants to, or wanting to move back to LA and having no part of STL. As much as I dislike that, it's his right to do what he wants.

But I don't think the STL side ever promised the fans the team would stay. Inspiring hope and/or confidence isn't the same as lying. That's why you don't see that much backlash against CVC. The Task Force went with what the NFL had in its laws and were even encouraged by said NFL to continue their efforts.

Of course we have no idea how sincere Stan was being in that presser. But the words "I''m going to do everything I can to keep the Rams in St. Louis" resonate deeply. For a guy with that much wealth and power that's what he's going to be held to, and KD for promising all the LA stuff was just "normal Stan business." The STL side never promised a thing, and I don't think they ever lied. The Task Force especially, did everything the NFL had in its relo laws, and were even encouraged by said NFL. Yet they got stabbed in the back, too.

I don't think STL fans would be as bitter if this happened another way. The lying, backstabbing by the men in charge vs. the local boys who did everything the way they were supposed based on what the NFL has.

bluecoconuts

Legend
But I don't think the STL side ever promised the fans the team would stay. Inspiring hope and/or confidence isn't the same as lying. That's why you don't see that much backlash against CVC. The Task Force went with what the NFL had in its laws and were even encouraged by said NFL to continue their efforts.

There were reports that the Rams told the Task Force not to bother, that they weren't staying. The NFL publicly said that the stadium plan wasn't good enough, and the Task Force responded that they felt confident. They never said they promised the Rams would stay, but they were overselling their plan, and overselling what was being told to them behind closed doors. It was also reported that the reason why Stan blasted the city in his relocation proposal was because the Task Force, specifically Peacock was blasting him whenever he was meeting with owners. I remember when Peacock suggested that the Rams would stay and they would push Stan out, I said that was really stupid of him, because it would probably piss Stan off... Apparently it did, and apparently when he was talking about Stan behind his back, the other owners went and told him.

I think people are more willing to brush that off, because it's easier to point to Stan as the bad guy. I recognize the Task Force had an extremely difficult, basically impossible, uphill battle to get it done, but they didn't exactly help themselves in the long run.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
It'll be interesting to see if that gives any momentum to the lawsuits. I have to admit that it does seem that KD went farther than necessary to deflect from a possible LA relocation. But as you said, Randy is not known for being objective and I have to wonder if those are actually direct quotes or if there was any qualifying language with them. I noticed one fallacy in his recollection of the 2014 event. The property Stan had purchased and was referenced was the parking lot adjacent to the Forum - not the Hollywood Park property. That land would not by itself be appropriate for a stadium. However, I'm sure KD knew that the actual Hollywood Park property was in the works and that would make for a very adequate stadium property. And yeah - I'm making excuses for what KD said. But it is likely what they would do in court if it got that far.

When Boeing moved their operations, they swore that most of it was just going to be administrative and the jobs would remain not only union but in Seattle where they had called home for most of their existence. They did it to avoid disruptions in operations via strikes, work stoppages, and disgruntled employees. Turned out they were lying. I only mention Boeing here because it was one we were constantly hearing about. I could be wrong but I don't think anyone sued Boeing after buying a house or car. Maybe they did but I doubt they won. Seems like a very similar issue to buying tickets, PSLs, or gear only bigger. I didn't blame them for lying or moving their operations. They did what they felt was in the best interest of their company and it probably was.

I wasn't involved in the Boeing move. My grandpa worked there for 40 years as a security guard before being replaced via outsourcing. That's as far as my knowledge on them goes.

I agree that Demoff seemed to go above and beyond to try and deflect questions about the property. I guess the only way we could really gain any more light on this is if some of our members that attended these season ticket holder meetings where to give their recollection of what Demoff had said. Even then, it'd be more hearsay.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I wasn't involved in the Boeing move. My grandpa worked there for 40 years as a security guard before being replaced via outsourcing. That's as far as my knowledge on them goes.

I agree that Demoff seemed to go above and beyond to try and deflect questions about the property. I guess the only way we could really gain any more light on this is if some of our members that attended these season ticket holder meetings where to give their recollection of what Demoff had said. Even then, it'd be more hearsay.
Yep. So how 'bout them Rams? :D

Cheers man.