Defensive Wildcard

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
There is a defensive player who should be ready to play in the Super Bowl and really could have an impact. IMO Rochell is a real wildcard. He would change the matchups. Rochell has the length and speed to match up with Tee Higgins. Robert is 6'2" and timed in the 4.3 range with a tremendous verticle, matched up with Tee Higgins at 6'4" who also runs a 4.3 leaving Ramsey on Chase. Higgins is a complete mismatch against Williams and David Long in terms of speed and length. He's also a player that could probably be overlooked in the Bengals defensive game planning. Rochell will have over a week to prepare and practice. The fact he's been left out of a lot of the player reports could be a ploy by McVay to spring him on the Bengals as a "game day decision".

How Morris plays the defense will be crucial in this game. He simply cannot sit back and play his bend and break style. Rochell could be a difference-maker particularly if his presence on the field allows Morris to leave Ramsey on Chase the entire game. If Morris doesn't leave Ramsey on Chase then Rochell offers a far better matchup, matching his speed, with an advantage in height and equal athleticism. There is no way I see Williams being able to cover Chase.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
The Bengals have too many offensive weapons to stop them all every time. You need to hope your pass-rush gets through enough times to disrupt Burrow and your run defense shows up to play against Mixon.

To that, I'd say that it's a very good thing we're getting SJD back. The more talented players we can rotate on the defensive line, the better.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
The Bengals have too many offensive weapons to stop them all every time. You need to hope your pass-rush gets through enough times to disrupt Burrow and your run defense shows up to play against Mixon.

To that, I'd say that it's a very good thing we're getting SJD back. The more talented players we can rotate on the defensive line, the better.
Are we getting SJD back? What have you heard about this?
If true this could be a huge help for our DL.

~ArkyRamsFan~

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Are we getting SJD back? What have you heard about this?
If true this could be a huge help for our DL.

~ArkyRamsFan~

From McVay's words, it definitely sounds like we could get SJD back. And you're absolutely right. Sorry, @oldnotdead , but SJD is an amazing run defender who we could rotate with Robinson and Gaines to form a formidable wall for Mixon to attempt to go through (and hopefully fail).

Point is, we need all hands on deck.

dang

Legend
I’m counting on everyone who can be back being back except Higbee. That gives the Rams plenty of fresh legs for the 60 minutes of play.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Have to mix it up on defense.. and the biggest factor will be if the Rams can get to Burrow with 4 pass rushers.

I like Rochell.. but counting on him to make much of an impact after making minimal impact his rookie year and being injured seems unwise.
By the way.. not being on the injury report is because he, SJD and Henderson haven't been "elevated" off the injured list. I'm not sure when that needs to be done by and whether it can be done on gameday.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
From McVay's words, it definitely sounds like we could get SJD back. And you're absolutely right. Sorry, @oldnotdead , but SJD is an amazing run defender who we could rotate with Robinson and Gaines to form a formidable wall for Mixon to attempt to go through (and hopefully fail).

Point is, we need all hands on deck.

Indeed. SJD would be most welcome in a DL rotation for this game. I didn’t think he would heal in time, but if he has it will certainly help to give our guys breathers that could be the difference.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Rams seem to be really conservative about guys returning from injury. Look how they handled Jones' return, and Jones was killing it before he got hurt. I'm sure Rochelle will get in there and contribute which is great experience for a rookie. Just not sure the Rams try to position him for a key role when he's just coming back.

This would be a hell of a game for him to show out in though wouldn't it. :laugh1:

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I think Rochell was penciled in to replace DW next year.

So why not give him a shot in the SB? If he struggles then they can always go back to some combo of DW, Long, and DD.

But if Rochell blows up like Scott and Weddle did? Hoo Boy!

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
There is a defensive player who should be ready to play in the Super Bowl and really could have an impact. IMO Rochell is a real wildcard. He would change the matchups. Rochell has the length and speed to match up with Tee Higgins. Robert is 6'2" and timed in the 4.3 range with a tremendous verticle, matched up with Tee Higgins at 6'4" who also runs a 4.3 leaving Ramsey on Chase. Higgins is a complete mismatch against Williams and David Long in terms of speed and length. He's also a player that could probably be overlooked in the Bengals defensive game planning. Rochell will have over a week to prepare and practice. The fact he's been left out of a lot of the player reports could be a ploy by McVay to spring him on the Bengals as a "game day decision".

How Morris plays the defense will be crucial in this game. He simply cannot sit back and play his bend and break style. Rochell could be a difference-maker particularly if his presence on the field allows Morris to leave Ramsey on Chase the entire game. If Morris doesn't leave Ramsey on Chase then Rochell offers a far better matchup, matching his speed, with an advantage in height and equal athleticism. There is no way I see Williams being able to cover Chase.

I'd try Rochell on Higgins and even double him to totally take him out. Man up chase with Ramsey and Williams on boyd. Let the 5th db play star and go where needed

Ramon Ram

Starter
My vote for stud player of game is Floyd. Hes done it before but has been quiet lately while Donald and Miller get all the media attention. Wouldn't it be nice if Reeder decides to make some tackles and have the game of his life?

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I don't know how much we should trust Rochell. He was getting beat a decent bit before he was hurt. Now after missing a bunch of time he's going to contribute right away???? I don't buy it. He needs more time to develop imo.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Hoping in years 2-4 Rochelle blows it up and becomes a stud but I don’t count on him in the SB, that’s just too much to expect.

Defensive wildcard??? I think we are going to see our stars show out as they should with AD and Von going for big numbers pressuring and blowing up the Bengals offense for 60 minutes.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Definitely rooting for Rochell with whatever opportunities he gets. Love his size on Tee Higgins @wolfdogg @oldnotdead.

My defensive wildcard would be Ernest Jones. Sounds like he’s getting closer to 100% and he was starting to make plays before his injury.

dang

Legend
I think Rochell was penciled in to replace DW next year.

So why not give him a shot in the SB? If he struggles then they can always go back to some combo of DW, Long, and DD.

But if Rochell blows up like Scott and Weddle did? Hoo Boy!
The SB is no time to experiment. Rochelle is in the future plans for the Rams but doesn’t need to be worked in unless someone gets hurt in the SB.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have doubts Morris truly knows how to integrate guys into a game plan. As we have watched the season progress it’s about the talent they already have over dynamic schemes from Morris IMO.

Flint

Pro Bowler
I have doubts Morris truly knows how to integrate guys into a game plan. As we have watched the season progress it’s about the talent they already have over dynamic schemes from Morris IMO.
Not sure what you mean, Morris got Weddle off his couch and integrated him into the defense, he took special teamer Scott and put him in position to make huge plays, Gaines was a depth guy until this year now he’s a key piece on the line. The coaches have some hand in that, and having talent is no guarantee, look at the Lakers, they were the favorites earlier in the season now they may be watching when the playoffs start.
Everyone was quick to roast Morris when the defense played badly now he gets no credit when they come up big in the playoffs.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure what you mean, Morris got Weddle off his couch and integrated him into the defense, he took special teamer Scott and put him in position to make huge plays, Gaines was a depth guy until this year now he’s a key piece on the line. The coaches have some hand in that, and having talent is no guarantee, look at the Lakers, they were the favorites earlier in the season now they may be watching when the playoffs start.
Everyone was quick to roast Morris when the defense played badly now he gets no credit when they come up big in the playoffs.
Weddle came in with 13 years of experience and was asked to play the position he knows. Explain the grand schemes Morris has done??? Gaines has been developing the past three years well before Morris got here. That’s why trades were made in mind before Morris stepped on the field to coach. Scott has been assigned basic coverage spots and made plays that’s to the season vets up front (basic schemes to create pressure). Nothing extraordinary or grand about the coaching.

Look at the over composition of the defense from last year to this year. Which would most fans like to have in place.

We can disagree to disagree but please know your post didn’t move the needle. Likely neither did mine for you.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Weddle came in with 13 years of experience and was asked to play the position he knows. Explain the grand schemes Morris has done??? Gaines has been developing the past three years well before Morris got here. That’s why trades were made in mind before Morris stepped on the field to coach. Scott has been assigned basic coverage spots and made plays that’s to the season vets up front (basic schemes to create pressure). Nothing extraordinary or grand about the coaching.

Look at the over composition of the defense from last year to this year. Which would most fans like to have in place.

We can disagree to disagree but please know your post didn’t move the needle. Likely neither did mine for you.
Well.. then I guess it's a good thing that Morris has fostered a relationship with Weddle over the years, one strong enough that he felt comfortable bringing him in.

Whatever.. whomever.. is credited... the defense is playing it's best ball of the season. I hope it keeps going for one more game.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I really would like to see Ramsey shadow Chase the whole game. He can take the best receiver and limit his impact. But it seems like lately they leave Ramsey on one side. I suppose it might force the Bengals to look to the other side more than they want. But I'd much prefer Ramsey stick with Chase like glue the whole game.