Defensive numbers of some notable defensive teams that have won a SB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I thought it would be interesting to look at some defensive numbers of some notable defensive teams that have won a SB.
I included Seattle just to put it in perspective.

* Offense points per game scored. Interesting to see how these dominant defensive teams' offenses ranked.

Regular season stats(NFL rank)

2013 Seahawks D
total points allowed 231(1st)
ypg 273.6(1st)
ppg 14.4(1st)
yards/play 4.4
sacks 44(tied 8th)
INT's 28(1st)
*offensive ppg 26.1(tied 8th)

2002 Tampa D
total points allowed 196(1st)
ypg 252.8(1st)
ppg 12.2(1st)
yards/play 4.2(1st)
sacks 43(tied 6th)
INT's 31(1st)
*offensive ppg 21.6(18th)

2000 Ravens D
total points allowed 165(1st)
ypg 247.9(2nd)...behind Fishers Titans
ppg 10.3(1st) ... Rams D was dead last
yards/play 4.3
sacks 35(22nd)
INT's 23(5th)
*offense ppg 20.8(14th)

1999 Rams D

ypg 293.6(6th)
ppg 15.1(4th)
yards/play 4.7
sacks 57(tied 1st) Tennessee
INT's 29(2nd)
*offense ppg 32.9(1st)

1990 Giants D
total points allowed 211(1st)
ypg 262.9(2nd)
ppg 13.2(1st)
yards/play 4.6
sacks 30(24th)
INT's 23(4th)
*offense ppg 20.9(15th)

1985 Bears D
total points allowed 198(1st)
ypg 258.4(1st)
ppg 12.4(1st)
yards/play 4.4
sacks 64(3rd)
INT's 34(1st)
*offense ppg 28.5(2nd)

Last edited:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Good work.

Clearly you'll need at least a decent offense if you want to GET to the dance, but obviously the teams prepared to shut down anyone are the ones who ultimately prevail. Even the Colts, when they won it, caught fire in the playoffs defensively (when they got Bob Sanders back), and that's what helped them in the end.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
When we look at teams that won the majority of SBs it offense that does it. I remember this heated discussion on the Huddle. They were some teams that won it all with fantastic defenses, as in best in the NFL and considered top of the era. But more were won by very balanced teams that had very good offense and defense or high powered offenses that gained an edge early and didn't give it up.

Seattle is the once every 4-5 season teams that has it's defense carry it through the entire postseason. Yeah it happens, but it's rarer than people think.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
When we look at teams that won the majority of SBs it offense that does it. I remember this heated discussion on the Huddle. They were some teams that won it all with fantastic defenses, as in best in the NFL and considered top of the era. But more were won by very balanced teams that had very good offense and defense or high powered offenses that gained an edge early and didn't give it up.

Seattle is the once every 4-5 season teams that has it's defense carry it through the entire postseason. Yeah it happens, but it's rarer than people think.
It's not a rebuild.

I think, once you get to the show, most of the trends disappear unless there's a decided advantage (offensively or defensively) shown by one team. That's why I thought this SB could be one of the better ones due to one team being the #1 offense, and the other being the #1 defense. But man, the whole "Defense wins Championships" mantra sure did get some reinforcement after the fact.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Yeah it's just a complete overhaul because of course there was something left to build upon a foundation of sorts and a rebuild means there was nothing but if there was nothing that would be a build cuz you can't re what doesn't exist,so I'm going to trust your evaluation X cuz you would know and I'm confused

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It's not a rebuild.

I think, once you get to the show, most of the trends disappear unless there's a decided advantage (offensively or defensively) shown by one team. That's why I thought this SB could be one of the better ones due to one team being the #1 offense, and the other being the #1 defense. But man, the whole "Defense wins Championships" mantra sure did get some reinforcement after the fact.

I was expecting a back and forth game with Denver keeping a bit of an edge and keeping it just out of SEA reach.

So I was kind close in my prediction hahahahahahaha