Defense: linebackers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
Go ahead and call me an idiot but, I just looked at the depth chart and didn't realize we are not using outside linebackers, more corners and safeties instead. I know Williams was using Barron as a hybrid linebacker last year and it paid off, imo. So I assume that is what led to this kind of defensive line up, the speed of the game and a more pass happy league ? Did I say you can call me an idiot for not paying attention ?

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Idiot

Just kidding. Yeah I noticed too. A very strange depth chart. By design, or is it in flux? We will see. Monday night should answer a lot of questions.

Last edited:

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
You know even before Williams was running the defense they kept trying out different linebackers who were not only less of a liability in pass protection, but also better side to side. I mean you only have to think back to the various attempts at replacing Dunbar until they finally settled on what we have now.

Psycho_X

Legend
A lot of uncertainty and cause for worry in our back seven on defense. It'll be interesting to see how this defense performs this season. Hopefully they'll be lucky with the injury bug because we're set up for some serious issues back there if it hits us this season.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Gregg has progressed since his arrival here to play defense with more & more speed & quickness. Sure appears he covets speed players on the field & then make modifications later if he is having issues stopping the run. he pushed for the acquiring of Barron from the Bucs. later in 2014 Barron was used in place of a OLB'er, before taking over for OLB'er Ogletree. So a 6-2 215 pound Barron replaced Ogletree on the outside this season.

The next shock to many was the release of a slower larger 6-2 255 pound MLB'er veteran JL in the off season with a much faster little smaller Ogletree this season. Now we see a continuing of this ... with the starting 6-3 255 pound veteran LB'er Akeem Ayers release a few days ago. Once again seems it took everyone by surprise...yes me tooo_O. GW has moved fast here right under our noses.

Thus many here have been wondering who will start in place Ayers...a rookie LB'er? Gregg has been using more & more Nickle & Dime defenses over the standard 43 base alignment since his arrival. Nickel back Joyner is on the field much more than LB'er Ayers was. Not so sure why Lamarcus was crying about not starting because he is a starter & is currently listed as the starter as the Nickle:huh:???

So as it been pointed out here for some time Ayers was truly a reserve LB'er in the Gregg defense. Looks like the 3 new rookie LB'ers outworked & outplayed the more experienced Ayers & Lynch.I would imagine that Ayers will be replaced as the top reserve by a smaller 6-1 235 pound athletic LB'er 2nd yr. player Bryce Hager. Hager is a step up over Ayers with quickness & speed with his good range in coverage & ability to cover. I would also expect 2016 6th rd. draft selection Josh Forrest to move in behind Alec Ogletree as the main MLB reserve as the season progresses too. We watched these 4 rookie LB'ers (Littleton/ Forrest/ Chubb/ Grigsby) play with quickness & speed & UDFA Littleton look real good in coverage & range.

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Idiot

Just kidding. Yeah I noticed too. A very strange depth chart. By design, or is it in flux? We will see. Monday night should answer a lot of questions.
Fisher did say the other day, ".. Anyone who thinks this Roster is what it will look like in Week #1, will be wrong!". Did he not!?!;)

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Trying to boil it on down ...Gregg has progressed to play defense with more & more speed & quickness. Looks like he wants the speed players on the field & then make modifications later if he is having issues stopping the run. Barron was seen being used in place of a LB'er late 2014 season before taking over for LB'er Ogletree. So a 6-2 215 pound Barron replaced Ogletree on the outside this season. Gregg replaced a slower larger MLB'er veteran JL with a much faster & a little smaller Ogletree. this season too. Then the latest change took place with the starting 6-3 255 pound veteran LB'er Akeem Ayers release a few days ago.

Many here have been wondering who will start in place Ayers...a rookie LB'er? Gregg has been using more & more Nickle & Dime defenses over the standard 43 base alignment since his arrival. Joyner a Nickel back was on the field of play much more than LB'er Ayers. So as it been pointed out here for some time Ayers was truly a reserve LB'er in the Gregg defense. Looks like the 3 new rookie LB'ers outworked & outplayed the more experienced Ayers & Lynch.

I would imagine that Ayers will be replaced as the top reserve by a smaller 6-1 235 pound athletic LB'er 2n yr player Bryce Hager. Hager is a step up over Ayers with quickness & speed with his good range in coverage & ability to cover. I would also expect 2016 6th rd. draft selection Josh Forrest to move in behind Alec Ogletree as the main MLB reserve as the season progresses too. We watched these 4 rookie LB'ers (Littleton/ Forrest/ Chubb/ Grigsby) play with quickness & speed & UDFA Littleton look real good in coverage & range.

You just never know how things are going to pan out. You were a Ayers backer ? I did tell u watch out for Hager !!
I also said Saffold was going to play at a high level.
- That all said Saffold could get hurt Monday. Hager might not be the backup MLB either. He does fly around & hustles like crazy. I saw him rush QB then go down 20 yards to catch the WR who made the catch.
#58 Littleton is a pure ball hawking type player. He is a solid tackler as well.He does not always make the best read though .

fearsomefour

Legend
Typically you attack a power D with speed and the opposite is true as well. If I was facing a D with this sort of set up I am running a power game right at them. Double team a DT and run off of that. These small LBs are going to step around blocks generally and it can lead to big runs. Passing quick hitters to offset the passrush. Screens ect.
The real test for this D is the back seven and it starts vs a no huddle O.....can the D backs tackle one on one. This may determine our fate on D this year.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
You were a Ayers backer ?
Yes here's a small example below:
"Your right on Akeem Ayers pre season play...not what we would expect for him who is carries himself very well & professional like. But I sure like Ayers being on this roster he can do most anything you ask of him. he is a good Ram LB'er to have in reserve. But yes as you said both Hager & Ayers are basically the top reserves with Lynch being active to play ST's. Not sure how healthy Hager is have not heard any reports since he was taken to the locker room early against the Vikings due to injury. Only thing that could put Ayers in danger of being cut is his $$$ 3.3 million price tag for what is a reserve LB'er".
http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/rams-roster-cuts-are-starting.46039/page-16#post-785091

Here's another example ...a good loooooong positive rant by me on how I felt about Ayers....
http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/josh-forrest-unique-path-to-nfl.44749/#post-753437

You sure question my truthfulness often, something you have to say here?

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
yes here's a small example below:

"Your right on Akeem Ayers pre season play...not what we would expect for him who is carries himself very well & professional like. But I sure like Ayers being on this roster he can do most anything you ask of him. he is a good Ram LB'er to have in reserve. But yes as you said both Hager & Ayers are basically the top reserves with Lynch being active to play ST's. Not sure how healthy Hager is have not heard any reports since he was taken to the locker room early against the Vikings due to injury. Only thing that could put Ayers in danger of being cut is his $$$ 3.3 million price tag for what is a reserve LB'er".
http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/rams-roster-cuts-are-starting.46039/page-16#post-785091

Your a stand up man. I was thinking Hager was held out. For some reason I did not notice him in Vikings game.
-- I did notice Ayers in the 4th Qrt & was thinking what the heck ?? Was weird , then seeing him get cut was a surprise.
I was not impressed by his play, & playing with 3rd string did not stand out. His penalties against KC were not good at all.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I just think the best LB's won...and Littleton was clearly the best olb this preseason....Grigsby looked well in limited reps....And Forrest was coming on...I'd imagine that Forrest will be given the first opportunity to start....And then Littleton...I see Hagar as the primary backup at MLB...and Hagar was playing like Lynch & Ayers imo...Surprised he made the cut....
Not so sure why Lamarcus was crying about not starting because he is a starter & is currently listed as the starter as the Nickle:huh:???
Pretty sure Joyner could tell that Sensabaugh & Hill were outplaying him...that's why he went crying to the coach....effing pitiful....Shoulda cut him on the spot...How many times is he gonna get beat? How many tackles is he gonna miss because he doesn't wrap up?

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
The game is evolving. GW is trying to keep up. More DB's with only two LB's seems to be the way the wind is blowing. GW has proven he knows what he's doing. I trust in GW. I never want to see those repeated 3rd and long's the Rams gave up a before GW came along.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Your a stand up man. I was thinking Hager was held out. For some reason I did not notice him in Vikings game.
-- I did notice Ayers in the 4th Qrt & was thinking what the heck ?? Was weird , then seeing him get cut was a surprise.
I was not impressed by his play, & playing with 3rd string did not stand out. His penalties against KC were not good at all.
Thanks.
Hager was knocked silly very very early in the Vikings game & went straight into the locker room. Yes Ayers was stinky in several games & saved his lack lustser play for last & someone was tick off. So he forced to play most of the game with the 3rd & 4th string LB'ers. The Ayers release & bad play is still hard to understand even now.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Thanks.
Hager was knocked silly very very early in the Vikings game & went straight into the locker room. Yes Ayers was stinky in several games & saved his lack lustser play for last & someone was tick off. So he forced to play most of the game with the 3rd & 4th string LB'ers. The Ayers release & bad play is still hard to understand even now.[/QUOTE]
I just think the best LB's won...and Littleton was clearly the best olb this preseason....Grigsby looked well in limited reps....And Forrest was coming on...I'd imagine that Forrest will be given the first opportunity to start....And then Littleton...I see Hagar as the primary backup at MLB...and Hagar was playing like Lynch & Ayers imo...Surprised he made the cut....
Pretty sure Joyner could tell that Sensabaugh & Hill were outplaying him...that's why he went crying to the coach....effing pitiful....Shoulda cut him on the spot...How many times is he gonna get beat? How many tackles is he gonna miss because he doesn't wrap up?
Hager did seem to have some issues on the power runs in pre season. Hager looked very fast in the 2015 pre season. I say this about rookie Forrest ...he brings the thump & hit with his going forward tackles.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Typically you attack a power D with speed and the opposite is true as well. If I was facing a D with this sort of set up I am running a power game right at them. Double team a DT and run off of that. These small LBs are going to step around blocks generally and it can lead to big runs. Passing quick hitters to offset the passrush. Screens ect.
The real test for this D is the back seven and it starts vs a no huddle O.....can the D backs tackle one on one. This may determine our fate on D this year.
That's the fear, but we do seem to keep bigger safeties and corners both who are unafraid to tackle a running back.

At least it's never boring :)

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Forrest was also great in coverage on TEs and RB as well. He has a lot of upside and seems to understand the game very well.

I can see why Fish and Snead were high on this guy.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I think Joyner should start in the restroom...I'm not sure he could cover the toilet with a seat...

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
That's the fear, but we do seem to keep bigger safeties and corners both who are unafraid to tackle a running back.

At least it's never boring :)
I would add here too why Cody Davis has not started for GW too. Rod, TJ, Mo are better tacklers but nowhere as good as a ballhawk like Cody. So Gregg is forced to play the better tacklers over the ballhawk so INT's from our safeties are in the lower categories. GW will hope for a forced fumble instead from a Mo or TJ hit:sneaky:.