Debating Aaron Donald, Khalil Mack for Defensive ROY/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Debating Aaron Donald, Khalil Mack for defensive rookie of the year
By Bill Williamson and Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/15277/debating-aaron-donald-khalil-mack-for-droy

The Oakland Raiderss and the St. Louis Rams' seasons ended last month, but there is still some postseason intrigue involved for both of the non-playoff teams.

Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald and Oakland outside linebacker Khalil Mack are expected to be among the top candidates to win the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year award. The award will be announced Saturday.

Rams NFL Nation reporter Nick Wagoner and Raiders NFL Nation reporter Bill Williamson discuss Donald's and Mack's candidacy here:

Wagoner: Bill, it seems Mack and Donald are sort of in the same boat in that they both were major difference makers but didn't garner much attention because they played on losing teams. I'm of the belief that Donald should win the Defensive Rookie of the Year award. What's the case for Mack over Donald?

Williamson: Mack's case is pretty simple: He looked like a five-year All-Pro all season. He was so smooth, so smart. He was Pro Football Focus' top ranked outside linebacker in the NFL -- and we're not talking about just rookie outside linebackers. He never played like a rookie and he got better as the season progressed. He didn't have a ton of flashy plays, but he was just so steady. According to STATS, INC, he was second in the NFL with 11.5 "stuffs." Who led the NFL? MVP candidate JJ Watt with 13.5. He was also good against the pass. He hit the quarterback 25 times and had four sacks.

So, why Donald?

Wagoner: Well, like Mack the case is pretty simple. Also like Mack, Pro Football Focus rated Donald as the best defensive tackle in the league. Not the best rookie defensive tackle, the best defensive tackle in the league. But aside from a subjective grading system, Donald has the hard numbers to back it up. His nine sacks were the most among all rookies and he had 18 tackles for loss, fifth most in the NFL. His value is best recognized in what happened to the Rams defense after he stepped into the starting lineup. Without Donald in the starting lineup the first four games, the Rams had one sack, gave up 152.5 rushing yards per game and averaged a sack on 0.9 percent of opponent's pass attempts. After he entered the starting lineup, the Rams had 39 sacks, gave up 96.25 rushing yards per game and averaged a sack on 9 percent of opponent's pass attempts.

There are others involved in the mix in this, too. Namely, Baltimore linebacker C.J. Mosley, who has the numbers and plays on a winning team. What do you think are the chances that Donald or Mack is able to overcome that hurdle?

Williamson: I think they are the two frontrunners. If I had to guess, I'd say Donald is going to win the award and Mack will be second. They may not have been on winning teams, but their dominance was so strong, voters couldn't help but notice. That's a testament to both youngsters.

What were the Rams immediate expectations for Donald?

Wagoner: Honestly, the Rams expected this. I can remember how former Rams offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer saying he thought Donald had a chance to be Defensive Rookie of the Year all the way back in Organized Team Activities when the players were not even wearing pads yet. Jeff Fisher echoed those sentiments. They believed this was one of the most polished players in the draft and they were absolutely right. He probably still exceeded those expectations. The scary part about Donald is despite how good he is right now, he's still just scratching the surface of his potential.

Mack is obviously part of the foundation for the Raiders moving forward whether he wins the award or not. What do you think his ceiling is?

Williamson: There is no doubt; Mack is a building block for the rebuilding Raiders. He will get better as the Raiders add pieces around him. ESPN analyst Merril Hoge told me during the season that he thinks Mack can become one of the most complete, versatile linebackers ever to play in the NFL. That is heady, heady stuff. I don't know if we can expect that type of career, but, because there are no downsides to Mack's game, approach and attitude, I think he has a chance to be a perennial All-Pro player.

Did the Rams focus on Donald or were they surprised he was on the board?

Wagoner: I was told by more than one person in the organization as far back as the combine that they loved Donald but they had little expectation that he would be available. It was made clear as the draft approached that they would take him if he somehow slipped. But even the day before the draft, I was laughed at for even suggesting he might be available. The Rams had plans to take Dallas offensive lineman Zack Martin or Mosley in more realistic scenarios but when Donald slipped to them, it was academic. They were thrilled to get him and that enthusiasm has clearly been justified. He's going to be one of their primary players for the next decade or so.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Both are fantastic rookies. I couldn't be upset with either one winning DROY, but obviously, I think it should go to Donald.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Williamson: Mack . . . According to STATS, INC, he was second in the NFL with 11.5 "stuffs." Who led the NFL? MVP candidate JJ Watt with 13.5.

Yes, Mack did have 11.5 stuffs, Donald had 10.5 stuffs. Wagoner could have mentioned that as well.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
I thought A. Donald had it in the bag, but not so sure now.... :unsure:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I didn't believe Donald would be available either...I figured we'd trade back and get Rasheede (whew, dodged that one)...I also didn't see all the Mack hype...I watch a bunch of Raiders game (my partner loves the Raiders)...and he really doesn't flash...Not like CJ Mosely....Hell, not even like Anthony Barr....I'd have EJ above him....

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
NO DEBATE!! It's Donald, and I'm not being a 'Homer' by saying it!!:p:rolleyes::D
P.jpg
17zw35.jpg

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
The Rams had plans to take Dallas offensive lineman Zack Martin or Mosley in more realistic scenarios but when Donald slipped to them, it was academic.

Our FO is amazing. No matter what, they were getting an elite player, and they knew that those 3 guys were the guys. We're definitely an insanely good drafting team under this regime.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Closing arguments for Aaron Donald as defensive ROY
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...g-arguments-for-aaron-donald-as-defensive-roy

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The NFL awards show is scheduled for Saturday night with such lofty honors as league MVP, coach of the year and this year's Hall of Fame class scheduled to be revealed.

Among the hardware expected to be handed out is Defensive Rookie of the Year, the only award for which a member of the St. Louis Rams stands to have a shot to win. That's where Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald comes in.

Donald has already been given the award in various corners of cyberspace and by the Pro Football Writers of America, making him the odds on favorite to take home the "official" award Saturday night. That award is voted on by the Associated Press' panel of 50 voters around the country.

So, what are the arguments for Donald to take home the trophy and become the first Ram since linebacker Isiah Robertson in 1971 to win it?

There are plenty:

Donald's nine sacks led all rookies and represent the most by any first-year player in the past three years. That total was second most on the team behind defensive end Robert Quinn and eclipses the eight from Detroit defensive end Ezekiel Ansah last year and Seattle linebacker Bruce Irvin in 2012. It's also the sixth most by a rookie defensive tackle since sacks became an official statistic in 1982.

Those nine sacks were the second most among all defensive tackles in the NFL in 2014, trailing only behind the 10 of Buffalo's Marcell Dareus. For what it's worth, Pro Football Focus graded Donald as the best defensive tackle in the NFL.

Between Weeks 11 and 15, Donald had at least one sack in every game the Rams played. That five-week sack streak tied Donald with Denver linebacker Von Miller and Green Bay linebacker Brooks Reed for the longest streak by any rookie in the past 10 seasons.

Donald registered 17 tackles for loss in 2014, the most by a rookie defensive lineman in league history.

It took five weeks for Donald to elbow his way into the starting lineup but once he did, he was one of the most disruptive defensive tackles in the league. Without Donald in the starting lineup, the Rams had one sack, gave up 152.5 rushing yards per game and averaged a sack on 0.9 percent of opponents pass attempts. After he entered the starting lineup, the Rams had 39 sacks, gave up 96.25 rushing yards per game and averaged a sack on 9 percent of opponents pass attempts.

The lone argument that can be made against Donald is that he didn't play as much or make as many tackles as some of the linebackers he's competing with but given the fact that he's an interior lineman and still produced as much as he did, that should actually be a check mark in his favor rather than against him.

Donald will face plenty of competition for the award, namely from Oakland linebacker Khalil Mack and Baltimore linebacker C.J. Mosley. Mack was the only rookie in the league with at least 75 tackles and four sacks this season. Mosley led all rookies with 129 tackles and joined Houston's Brian Cushing as the only rookies in the past 10 years to have at least 120 tackles, three sacks and two interceptions in a season.

Mosley also could benefit from playing for a winning team that advanced to the playoffs. He and Donald both had historic rookie seasons but all things being equal, Donald's impact across the defense should be enough to land him the award.