Debating 8 QB's futures

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It seems a bit unfair on Sam to be included on that list. He was on course for a career best season until he was injured yet is being lumped in with the likes of Geno Smith and Matt Flynn. What's that about?

Because at this point Sam's issue is durability or lack there of....Especially the play that cost him the season, he was not even touched just did not pull up correctly. You need to play ever down and it's time as fans we stop making excuses.

Hopefully next year Bradford will take that giant leap forward, however, the Rams need to have someone ready in case the injury bug bites him again and that's why his lumped in with Smith and a castoff like Flynn.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Because at this point Sam's issue is durability or lack there of....Especially the play that cost him the season, he was not even touched just did not pull up correctly. You need to play ever down and it's time as fans we stop making excuses.

Hopefully next year Bradford will take that giant leap forward, however, the Rams need to have someone ready in case the injury bug bites him again and that's why his lumped in with Smith and a castoff like Flynn.

Yup. I actually saw that injury coming as the play developed. Sam makes a lame attempt at a pump fake while he is running and never really gathers himself up strong after that. He gave the defender a shot to hit him as he was going out of bounds. He never should have even got touched. I am worried that he has durability issues due to his lack of knowing how to protect himself. The kid needs to wise up, and fast. If he goes down again, I'm done with him and so should the Rams.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I'm good with Bradford, he's one heck of a QB. I'm not good with Clemens or the number of games Sam has missed the last 4 years. So drafting a guy like Manziel, or another highly touted QB, may be the answer. We can always trade them down the road if Sam can prove to stay healthy over the next few seasons.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm good with Bradford, he's one heck of a QB. I'm not good with Clemens or the number of games Sam has missed the last 4 years. So drafting a guy like Manziel, or another highly touted QB, may be the answer. We can always trade them down the road if Sam can prove to stay healthy over the next few seasons.

One problem using a high draft pick on a QB; it creates controversy.

Especially among the fan base... after one bad game people will be clamoring for the back up.

But also controversy within the team. Potentially undermining Sam's standing with the coaches. Look no further than Cousins in Washington... I'm sure their is some division in that locker room.

If Sam is the Ram's guy; they need to make that clear by staying away from a top QB. Take a developmental guy.

If Sam is not the Ram's guy; then move on.

Me personally; my only concern with Sam is his ability to stay healthy. Dude is playing well now, he's a young vet (past the learning curve of a rookie)... he's in the prime of his career.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
2014 has been the year to target since Fisher took over the team in 2012. He has to win and go to post season as max points out and IMO that's why when they draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th it will not be a raw prospect, it will be somebody who's ready like AJ McCarron for example.

As to Clemens being exposed I thought by now he would be, but we'll see how this plays out for the rest of the year because if the Rams end up 7-9 they could bring Clemens back with the caveat that they will still be drafting a QB and he would be in line to start in case of the durablity factor hitting Bradford once again.

Agree with that Den. Except I'll be extremely pleasantly surprised if they finish 7-9 with Clemens. The team will have to carry him, and that's gonna be very hard against these 4 teams.

The FO knows 2014 is the big year. So yeah, no super raw project at QB in the draft. McCarron is a good fit. But they are all in on Sam as the key to making 2014 work.

To me the more interesting discussion is how do Snead and Fisher approach the offseason and draft. That is, continue building a team that's commensurate with Fisher's identity. I think we can conclude that Fisher wants to run the ball and play action pass on offense and rely on his defense to intimidate opposing offenses. We know they target specific players and move in the draft to get them. They don't just sit in a spot wait for a player to drop. So where do they go? They aren't spending valuable high picks on a contingency plan for Bradford. I think they continue to add talent to the defense. And as much as history says Fisher doesn't draft OL in the first round, there are some studs there that can really provide immediate help. Matthews will be tough to pass on. They can immediately plug him in to help give Bradford what he needs most of all, a clean pocket. Plus Fisher is connected to Matthews family and Fisher does do family connections. If they don't do Matthews, and they decide to trade down, I think a big physical WR like Evans is possible. And I really like Allen Robinson from PSU later in the first round.

V3

Hall of Fame
2014 has been the year to target since Fisher took over the team in 2012. He has to win and go to post season as max points out and IMO that's why when they draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th it will not be a raw prospect, it will be somebody who's ready like AJ McCarron for example.

As to Clemens being exposed I thought by now he would be, but we'll see how this plays out for the rest of the year because if the Rams end up 7-9 they could bring Clemens back with the caveat that they will still be drafting a QB and he would be in line to start in case of the durablity factor hitting Bradford once again.

I seriously doubt McCarron lasts till the 3rd or 4th. I bet he goes in the first. Second at the latest.

V3

Hall of Fame
It seems a bit unfair on Sam to be included on that list. He was on course for a career best season until he was injured yet is being lumped in with the likes of Geno Smith and Matt Flynn. What's that about?

It's because the offense was still struggling.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
One problem using a high draft pick on a QB; it creates controversy.

Especially among the fan base... after one bad game people will be clamoring for the back up.

But also controversy within the team. Potentially undermining Sam's standing with the coaches. Look no further than Cousins in Washington... I'm sure their is some division in that locker room.

If Sam is the Ram's guy; they need to make that clear by staying away from a top QB. Take a developmental guy.

If Sam is not the Ram's guy; then move on.

Me personally; my only concern with Sam is his ability to stay healthy. Dude is playing well now, he's a young vet (past the learning curve of a rookie)... he's in the prime of his career.

Yes you are correct. Within myself there would be no controversy. Sam is the man, period. However, I guess I've forgotten how many Bradford trolls there are out there who would be screaming for his head from the beginning. Within the locker, IDK. A developmental guy sounds good but I don't think we've had anything much to speak of in drafting those since maybe Ryan Fitz who turned out to be a little better than Clemens. I guess and trade down and then go from there is the best option. I tell you what, though, we better get someone with a lot of upside for that back-up role. I can't stand the thought of this team sucking next year because Sam got hurt. Fool me once...

Last edited by a moderator:

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
This is the offseason the Rams will have to decide if Bradford really is the future. If he is then they don't restructure, they extend him to get the $ per year down. If he isn't they draft a QB with the Skin's pick and trade Bradford.
If they stick with Bradford, I'm all for drafting a QB as a backup. The first 4 picks will be starters next year so were looking at 4th rd. QB's. So if we draft a backup QB higher we lost a starter at another position.
When you look at that list, and include a few other QB's that will be available, you can gage what you can get as a backup. None are great, but a couple of them can win some games in a run based offense.
I agree with this but think Sam should have heavy incentives built into any new contract.