Dear Fish: Just. Effing. Hire. Martz.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I get it... You may still be irritated by his association with the GSoT. He was after all a big part of the reason why you came up a yard short in that Super Bowl.

And, yes, we all know you want to ensure you have balance in the running game. I get that too.

But I don't care. You're the head coach. You need to improve the passing game. You are in your fourth season as head coach. You need an OC who can kick young QBs in their posteriors and get them rolling, and finally get this regime some return on their offensive investments. That is not a new OC, a first time guy like, say, Hackett.

Furthermore, looking at the list of OCs you have been considering, they are clearly all intended to improve your passing game. So don't act like that's not the priority here!

Martz gives you everything. Plus, nobody will try to hire him away after the Rams kill it next season on offense under his guidance. Lastly, since you're the head coach, you can keep him grounded by reminding him to run the ball a bit more like Vermiel did.

Just do it!

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I have a feeling you and most of the rest of us will be underwhelmed by whomever is given the job. Having said that I'm going to give the new OC until at least the end of the 1st quarter of the 1st regular season game before I make my mind up.

Irish

Starter
I have a feeling you and most of the rest of us will be underwhelmed by whomever is given the job. Having said that I'm going to give the new OC until at least the end of the 1st quarter of the 1st regular season game before I make my mind up.

Like we did with Gregg Williams, right? ;)

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
He's been an abject failure at every stop since he was here. He kills QBs with 5-7 step drops. We can't keep QBs healthy as it is. He had multiple hall of famers to work with last time that he wouldn't have now.

It's a recipe for disaster. IMO, of course.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I get it... You may still be irritated by his association with the GSoT. He was after all a big part of the reason why you came up a yard short in that Super Bowl.

And, yes, we all know you want to ensure you have balance in the running game. I get that too.

But I don't care. You're the head coach. You need to improve the passing game. You are in your fourth season as head coach. You need an OC who can kick young QBs in their posteriors and get them rolling, and finally get this regime some return on their offensive investments. That is not a new OC, a first time guy like, say, Hackett.

Furthermore, looking at the list of OCs you have been considering, they are clearly all intended to improve your passing game. So don't act like that's not the priority here!

Martz gives you everything. Plus, nobody will try to hire him away after the Rams kill it next season on offense under his guidance. Lastly, since you're the head coach, you can keep him grounded by reminding him to run the ball a bit more like Vermiel did.

Just do it!

Not going to happen.
For multiple reasons. And I really don't think his relationship to GSOT has anything to do with it.
If Fish was that bent about his loss, why did he even come to the Rams?
It's more of a philosophical thing IMHO.

jap

Legend
One thing I can say for Mad Mike: if he comes aboard the U.S.S. Fisher King Regime, Sam will have plenty opportunities to air it out to young high-flying receivers.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
He's been an abject failure at every stop since he was here. He kills QBs with 5-7 step drops. We can't keep QBs healthy as it is. He had multiple hall of famers to work with last time that he wouldn't have now.

It's a recipe for disaster. IMO, of course.

Abject failure? Nah.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

Just do it!

Again, it won't matter if its a name OC or someone nobody has ever heard of like Nathaniel Hackett.

Players have to execute.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
As late as maybe half way through the season, if it had been up to me, I'd have been allowed access to Rams park in order to beat Williams' head against his desk repeatedly until he agreed not to just blitz over n over again.

Thankfully my request was politely declined and it all worked out in the end.

Will I learn a lesson from this if the new OC takes time to get going? Probably not

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Loved what Martz did with the GSOT, but he's just not a good fit for this time, place, and personnel. We need someone to utilize our TE's like Cook and Harkey (and Kendricks if we keep him), and we need someone that can stick to the run. Martz doesn't fit that bill.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Martz increased the offensive production in Detroit and San Fran while he was there. His time in Chicago probably would have been met with greater success had the Bears had a better offensive line and Jay Cutler wasn't a pussy (just sayin').

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One thing I can say for Mad Mike: if he comes aboard the U.S.S. Fisher King Regime, Sam will have plenty opportunities to air it out to young high-flying receivers.
While lying on his back, after the Dlinemen crush him with those 7 step drops?

Sum1

Hall of Fame
We did win a Super Bowl and go to another with those 7 step drops...didn't we?

There was a span of about 5 years of truly dominant, exciting football in St. Louis...Martz was calling the offense for each of those. When he left...that left.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here's the same information I posted before, once again. Abject failure is not nearly accurate as a descriptor for his lack of success after he left the Rams:

Detroit Lions 2005 offense: 254 points. (Olsen & Tollner, 28th scoring, 21st most points allowed, 5-11 record, Head Coach Jauron fired)
Detroit Lions 2006 offense: 305 points. (Martz first year, 21st scoring, 30th most points allowed and 3-13 record)
Detroit Lions 2007 offense: 346 points. (Martz second year, 16th scoring, worst defense in league and 7-9 record, Martz fired)
Detroit Lions 2008 offense: 268 points. (Colleto replaced Martz, 27th scoring, worst defense in league and 0-16 record, Head Coach Marinelli fired)

SF in 2007: scored 209 points. (pre-Mad Mike, dead last in scoring)
SF in 2008: scored 339 points. (Martz first year, 22nd scoring, Alex Smith did not play all year, Mad Mike fired after the season)

Fact is there is a lot of hate surrounding Mike with Rams fans for no good reason. IMO.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Mike Martz/Kurt Warner
Mike D'Antoni/Steve Nash

Same thing.