Deadpool's 2023 Mock Draft 3.0

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
This off another board, but this gentleman does a ton of research and has been on numerous podcasts too. Here is Dead.

I'm gonna do something in this draft I really don't do or like to do because its just too much of a crap shoot. I'm gonna trade down from 2.36 to 2.44 with ATL and also getting one of their 4th rounders 4.110. Pick points work out to Rams giving them 540 points in 2.36 and ATL giving the Rams 534 points in 2.44 and 4.110. Atlanta has 4.113 as well, so moving up doesn't leave them without a 4th rounder. I'm keeping this trade from 2.0 in 3.0. I just can't seem to get everything I want without it. Plus the value is just too good.

All picks will go off my big board. Plus minus obviously.

2.44: Isaiah Foskey – EDGE – ND – 6'-5” 264 lbs. - Elite athleticism, team leader and ideal size. Great motor. Run defense is a work in progress. I like him way more than most. 34 edge.

I have no shot at nailing this pick, but he is my 42nd ranked prospect, so he fits as well as anyone. He has the size profile the Rams seem to like, Senior Bowl attendee, so that fits. Team leader checks a box. I think he can work standing or hand in the ground so he will bring some diversity to the front 7. Plus after round 2, the edge position gets really thin if you are looking for a guy to get snaps early. I hate forcing a position, and really this isn't. But I just can't draft any other spot at this point.

I think the Rams could go in a million ways. But looking at the list of prospects they have met, it seems like they are angling to move down in the 2nd and go after an edge rusher and not a TE, OL or CB. The prospects the Rams have looked at, at those positions are all mid range guys. The edge guys they have looked at are later 2nd round guys. Adetomiwa Adebawore and Derick Hall. They have also looked at McDonald, who has a draft grade somewhere between late first and middle of the 3rd round.

Previous pick (2.0) Joe Tippmann - IOL - Wisc. - 6'-6" 313 lbs. - I know I said I am going to quit picking OCs high, but this one is a tad different. He has the size and strength to play OG as well. His combination of size, strength and athletic ability along with position flexibility make this a slam dunk pick. The Rams like Wisc OL so this also makes senses. He can slide into the LG spot immediately and replace Allen down the road (hopefully sooner than later) Reading everything I have read, it sounds like Tippmann and Schmitz are both gone by pick 36. Now that being said, both guys are probably available.

Previous pick (1.0): Cody Mauch IOL - NDSU - 6'-5" 305 lbs. - He checks alot of boxes, he played LT for the Bison, but played LG and OC at the Senior Bowl. His arm length is an issue, but inside it isn't. The Rams love Senior Bowl guys and they also love moving OTs in college inside. He also plays with a mean streak and to the echo of the whistle. He makes a ton of sense in too many ways.

Other guys to keep an eye on:
All the Edge guys: I am assuming Nolan Smith and McDonald are gone (trade down or not) but Hall and Tuli Tuipulotu make a ton of sense. I almost picked one of these guys. Felix Anudike-Uzomah and BJ Ojulari are OK as fits and are not bad fall backs.

One of the top 4 TEs. Kincaid, Mayer, Musgrave or Washington might be too tempting to pass up. I'm not buying TE in the 2nd. But I can see McVay thumping the table for a pass catcher early if one slides. Kincaid makes the most sense, but I think he is gaining steam to be the 1st TE taken.

Offensive Skill position: Gibbs at RB is also very tempting. One guy I see sliding a bit is my top WR in Quinten Johnston. He didn't get a draft invite, so he is looking like a later round 1 to early day 2 pick. Do I think he lasts that long? No, but stranger things have happened. Hyatt is another guy picking up major first round steam, but he is explosive with OK size. He's a great fit.

IOL - Mauch, Torrence, Tippmann and Schmitz would all be nice fits. And the Rams love Wisc. OL.

OT - Harrison, Bergeron or Wright all make sense. Esp Wright (who is also gaining 1st round steam) who could move inside to OG until he eventually replaces Havs.

IDL - I'm not big on this one, but Bresee and Kancey make a ton of sense. Bresee had a down year, but he fought an infection and his sister died of brain cancer, he gets a pass for me for last season and his 2021 tape is 1st round worthy.

CB - last but not least, I can see a few guys that really fit. Cam Smith, Forbes, Banks and Turner all fit the bill. Esp Banks IMO. And I have to add Branch, if he somehow, some way drops to 36, he is the perfect fit for the Rams. I think they would sprint to the podium with no thought to trading down.

3.69: Darius Rush – CB – South Carolina – 6'-2” 198 lbs. - A WR convert, so a bit raw, but has the ball skills, athleticism and size to compete immediately. Ideal zone scheme.

Great size and long arms, good ball skills, effective blitzer and aggressive in the run game. He is a converted WR, so he is still learning, meaning his ceiling could go higher. He played in a 4-2-5 with Cover 3 and quarters defense, so he should be able to slide into the Rams D with little growing pains. I think in time, he can play the STAR position Ramsey vacated, he has the size and temperament to me a safety, or he could just stay outside as a CB. ST upside as well.

I just can't get off this pick. It might be a tad early for him as he is my 85th rated prospect. But he makes too much sense.

Previous pick (2.0) Byron Young - EDGE - Tenn. - 6'-2" 250 lbs. - This guy just competes. He is super bendy and athletic. A bit undersized, but consistently finds his way to the QB. Seems like a super coachable kid as he has elevated himself from JuCo football to Tenn. Thats not by accident. Senior Bowl standout, so that matters to the Rams. If the Rams go EDGE in round 2, they don't go with Young in round 3. If they don't, he is very much still in the conversation.

previous pick (1.0) - Will McDonald - Edge - Iowa State - 6'-3 1/2" 241 lbs. - He's got alot going for him, impressed at the Senior Bowl, so why is he a 3rd round pick? He is almost 24 years old, and is looking at a position switch from DL to standup edge rusher. But he is a plus athlete, big motor kid. And I think the Rams are gonna love him. He is way long gone.

Other names to look for:
CBs Turner, Brents and Garrett Williams
TEs Kraft, Schoonmaker and LaPorta
WRs Scott, Tillman and Mims
Edge Adetomiwa Adebawore, Young and Henry
RBs Spears, Abanakanda, Bigsby and Miller

3.77: Israel Abanakanda – RB – Pitt – 5'-10” 216 lbs. - Good size, with great burst and long speed. Good vision, good hands. Lacks power. Outside zone scheme

Are the Rams sold on their current RBs? Do any of them offer explosiveness? Not like Izzy does. He's a HR threat. The Rams have met with him. And he has good size at 216 lbs. Is he an immediate need? No, but RBs get hurt and both Rams RBs have been injured last year.

Previous pick (2.0) Darius Rush - CB - South Carolina - 6'-2" 198 lbs. - Great size and long arms, good ball skills, effective blitzer and aggressive in the run game. He is a converted WR, so he is still learning, meaning his ceiling could go higher. He played in a 4-2-5 with Cover 3 and quarters defense, so he should be able to slide into the Rams D with little growing pains. I think in time, he can play the STAR position Ramsey vacated, he has the size and temperament to me a safety, or he could just stay outside as a CB. ST upside as well. Already picked him

Other names that make sense:

see pick 3.69

4.110 (from Atl): Jayden Reed – WR – Mich. State – 5'-11” 187 lbs. - Multi-positional weapon, slot, outside, jet sweeps. Name it, he’s done it. Elusive in the open field. Muliple position fit.

My 125th rated prospect. Rams are said to have serious interest in him. He makes a ton of sense as a super versatile weapon that gives the Rams a real open field threat. He is also a punt and KO returner. Rams need that as well. Don't worry about his size, he's a tough guy that competes hard.

Previous Pick (2.0) Kendre Miller - RB - TCU - 5'-11" 215 lbs. - Workhorse back that blends power, patience, vision and really nice contact balance. Has some wiggle to him. Developing as a pass catcher. Good in pass pro and has enough juice to hit the occasional HR. Here is the powerful back this board has been screaming for. If the Rams don't have a RB by the end of round 3, then he is absolutely my pick in round 4, if he lasts that long.

Preivious pick, kinda (1.0) - Payne Durham - TE - Purdue - 6'-5" 258 lbs. - The Rams need another TE and they need one rather quickly. Not the greatest athlete, but he can block inline and is a seam mismatch. He doesn't scream TE1 to me, but a serious TE2. This was a projected comp pick. I think he still works here, but 4.110 seems too early. Maybe not

Other names to watch:

WRs Boutte (I have mixed feelings on this guy), Perry, Hutchinson and Wilson (who is vastly under rated), Iosivas, if he is still there absolutely has to be on the short list.

TEs Kuntz (Rams met with him), Schoonmaker (Rams met with him) Durham (I still think too early)
DBs Moss (would love him here), Clark, Jartavius Martin, Jaylon Jones, Blackmon and Hill. A mix of Safeties and CBs that all fit.
Edge - Brooks (is he still there?) Herbig, Hampton and Horton (who I like here)
OL Vorhees if he is still there is a good get. If an OC slides maybe.

5.167: Payne Durham – TE – Purdue – 6'-6” 253 lbs. – Another school I love TEs from. Strong, tough and competes. Good blocker, good in the redzone. Not super athletic.

My 141st rated prospect might have to slide a bit, or the Rams can (and usually do) move around to get him. He really makes a ton of sense. Love his fit. Rams need and want pass catchers, so he adds another to the room. Plus he actually can block.

Previous Pick (2.0) Charlie Jones - WR - Purdue - 5'-11" 175 lbs. - Looks like an advanced route runner with 4.43 speed. Great hands, shifty in the open field and decent play strength. Do I wish he was 6'-1" 205 lbs? yes, but he's not a midget. He competes his butt off and does his best work over the middle. I liken him to Robert Woods in that regard. I still love this kid, but Rams have more pressing needs

Previous pick (1.0) Andrei Iosivas - WR - Princeton - 6'-3" 212 lbs. - This is probably a round too low. Haven't gotten too deep into my boards yet. Track speed, a bit stiff, and raw. But plenty of upside on a frame you can't teach. He's long gone by here, combine and senior bowl ensured that.

Other names to watch and this goes for all 3 5th round picks:

More Edge depth - Tavius Robinson and Robert Beal (who I love)
More CB help - Rejzohn Wright, Carrington Valentine (the Rams met with him and is a real possibility), Keidron Smith (the other Kentucky D
cool smiley

OL help in any form - OC Patterson, Henry Bainivalu, Warren McClendon
Safety - Ward, Hellums and Merriweather

5.171: Juice Scruggs – OC – Penn State – 6'-3” 301 lbs. - Strong, aggressive and plays to the whistle. Decent mover. Lacks the mass to be a people mover. OC/OG zone scheme.

Rams absolutely have to add a OC to the roster sooner than later and his size, strength and attitude all fit extremely well with what the Rams want to do. He seems to be on the rise, so I'm grabbing him maybe a round early. I don't care, I'm getting my guy and he is my 183rd rated prospect.

Previous Pick (2.0) Payne Durham - TE - Purdue - 6'-6" 253 lbs. - a nice #2 TE in 12 personnel. A great Redzone target due to his size. He ran a slow 4.87 otherwise he would be gone by now. I like his combination of size and toughness. Completes the TE room, with an eye on replacing Higbee down the road. Did well at Senior Bowl and Rams have history with Purdue TEs (is that a good or bad thing?) took him with previous pick

5.177: Clayton Tune – QB – Houston – 6'-3” 220 lbs. - Proto size, enough arm, dual threat. Bails from the pocket too soon. Needs to go thru progressions. My fav late round QB.

I moved Tune up a few spots just because I felt like he was a 5th rounder, not that 5 spots is really anything. The Rams met with him. He seems like a McVay type of QB. McVay (at least with his backups) has never worried about having a cannon of an arm. He does value some mobility. Tune has a plenty good arm, is mobile, has NFL size and is a quick processor. He was also a Senior Bowl participant and from everything I have read is a real deal leader. Put his team on his back a few times and they responded. Sign me up.

Previous Pick (2.0) Arquon Bush - DB - Cinn. - 6'-0" 190 lbs. - Here is another chess piece for the defense. Has played CB, Nickel, and safety. Willing tackler in run support and enough of an athlete to hang in the slot. Does his best work in zone. He'll add depth to both SAF and CB rooms.

6.182: Brodric Martin - IDL - West. Kentucky - 6'-4" 337 lbs. - He is long, strong and has enough agility to handle 2 gaps. He is a fit for the Rams as a NT.

I don't have him ranked. I only saw the Shrine Bowl, which I rewatched. He had a forced fumble and was too much to handle alone inside. Not sure how he skipped past me. Anyhow, Rams have real interest. I have no idea where he lands. I'm guessing way earlier than anyone would have guessed 3 weeks ago.

Previous Pick (2.0) Clayton Tune - QB - Houston - 6'-2" 216 lbs. - not a dual threat exactly, but he can run, extend plays off script and isn't a statue in pocket. Has enough arm to make all the throws. 3 time team captain. I'm keeping this pick cuz I like this kid alot. I drafted him a few picks earlier.

Who else makes sense: At this point in the draft I'm looking at 4 QBs. Tune, Haener, Duggan and Bagent. Tune is a dual threat with great size. Haener is a scrappy, smart, undersized winner. Duggan is undersized, tough and limited with his arm. Bagent is a big armed, athletic QB with great size and coming from D2, a project with lots of upside. Pick your favorite and insert here.

As far as other names, safeties, OL depth, edge depth, ST help all make sense.

6.189 - Robert Beal Jr. - EDGE – Georgia – 6'-4” 247 lbs. - explosive with very good power. He converts speed to power. Love his motor. Lacks production for his athletic profile. 34 OLB.

I'm sticking with Beal. Not sure why, but I like him alot. The Rams need to double up on a few positions, EDGE and CB are 2 of them for sure.

Previous Pick (2.0) Robert Beal Jr. - EDGE - Georgia - 6'-4" 247 lbs. - The Rams miss on Nolan Smith, but get his running mate. He needs to add more tools to his pass rush toolbox, but he is quick, athletic and has an all day motor. He just needs to put it all together to reach his potential. Shrine Bowl participant.

Previous pick (1.0) - Darius Rush - CB - South Carolina State - 5'-11 1/2" 196 lbs. - I loved watching the gamecocks and Beamer ball this year, and Rush was one of the reasons. Nice size and length, and he looked very instinctual. Now his technique is raw and needs work, but the stuff he has cannot be taught, what he lacks can be. I'm probably way low on him after the Senior Bowl. what was I thinking, putting him in the 6th round. I have him with a solid 3rd round grade as I finalize my rankings.

6.191 - Bryce Ford-Wheaton – WR – WVU – 6'-4” 221 lbs. - 4.38 speed. Big bodied, strong athletic possession WR with deep threat ability. Unpolished route runner and shaky hands. Outside WR

He absolutely killed it on the post season circuit/ He's a Size/speed combo that that win multiple ways. With Allen gone, he makes a ton of sense. They can bring him along slowly and really develop a diamond in the rough. He needs to learn a route tree and how to properly run a route, but all the tools are there.

Previous Pick (2.0) Bennett Williams - SAF - Oregon 6'-0" 206 lbs. - heady player that did a little of everything for Oregon's 4-2-5 defense. Had a sack, a couple of INTs and 44 tackles. versatile players with ST upside make a ton of sense here. Plus the Rams were the only team not to attend Oregon's pro day, masking their interest in him.

Previous pick (1.0) Daniel Scott - S - Cal - 6'-0 1/2" 210 lbs. - He can in time replace Rapp. Size and willingness in the run game, likes to smack WRs around (sometimes illegally) Love his intensity, and made plays on the football in the passing game. I like Williams pass defense better.

Who else makes sense? Evan Williams FSU (the good FSU) is a nice target if you are looking for more of a FS type.

7.223 Tyler Beach - OL - Wisconsin - 6'-6" 306 lbs. - He's a nasty SOB. Plays to the echo of the whistle. Has experience at LT and OG. I think he is a OG at the next level. Fairly athletic. Heady player.

Rams love Wisconsin OL, he actually brings some serious nastiness to the table. I think he is a OG, maybe a OT. He did not make my list of 259, but if I'm being honest, he was on my 7th round/Priority UDFA list.

Previous pick (2.0) Jordan McFadden[/size][/b] - OL - Clemson - 6'-2" 305 lbs. - A left and right OT, his lack of length moves him inside. Nasty temperament and plays to the whistle. This seems like a Anchrum pick all over, but I like McFadden more. In time, I think he can be the starting LG with Tippmann at OC. Rams OL getting nastier. I don't think he lasts this long TBH

Previous pick (1.0) - PJ Mustipher - DT - Penn State - 6'-4" 320 lbs. - power, size and length. The Rams are gonna need to replace some size and power this off season, and Mustipher isn't super exciting to watch, but has a big motor and size you can't teach. I still like him and would not be disappointed with this pick.

7.234 Ty Okada - SAF - Montana State - 5'-11" 200 lbs. - FCS kid with crazy athleticism, he can do a little of everything. 3 sacks and 1 int last year.

Rams are into this kid. Cannot tell you where I heard that, because I don't remember. He ran a 4.44 40, broad of 10'-9", vert of 40.5", shuttle in 3.98 and 3 cone at 6.85. His Ras score would indicate Elite. Found it, 9.15 so I think thats elite.The Rams have a history with his teammate Daniel Hardy. So when the Rams draft him in round 6 or so, you heard it here first. lol

Previous pick (2.0) Bumper Pool - ILB - Arkansas - 6'-2" 232 lbs. - Tackling machine that has experience dropping into zone coverage in cover 2 and cover 3. Violent hitter, esp for his size. May not be the rangiest ILB, but as a early down guy, his run defense is very good. High motor and relentless in pursuit as well. Finally found a player able to bump Bumper into the pool and out of this spot...

Previous pick (1.0) D'Jordan Strong - DB - Coastal Carolina - 5'-11" 190 lbs. - can play a mix of man and zone, plays with an attitude I like in my DBs. A bit undersized. I think he could work as a boundry CB, a slot corner or move to safety. Either way, he adds depth to the secondary and with his attitude, should contribute to STs. If I hadn't added so many DBs already, he makes sense.

Some names throughout the draft I really like but just couldn't fit or found better value:
Cedric Tillman - If not for injury, he pushes the first round IMO.
Rashee Rice - another just very good all around WR that has surprising athleticism
WRs other than those 2 - C. Jones -a tad small, Wilson from Stanford, if not for injuries would be way up my list.
Musgrave/Washington/Musgrave - Rams have to absolutely love 1 or all of these TEs. I just cannot get past Edge in the first round. Sam LaPorta is another. I still see him as a target in round 3 if he slides there.
Safety - Hill/S. Brown/Joseph/Scott/J. Brown - I got a safety, I just would have loved one of these guys.
Dorian Williams ILB- I think he would be a nice pick later on, I just had more pressing issues
CB - I badly wanted a 2nd CB. Moss, Blackmon and Valentine are my 3 favorites.
Edge - Diaby, Horton, McGuire, Baldanado/Land - all guys I would love to see in Horns
RB - Miller/Bigsby/Luepke - They all fit for different reasons.

Heres my total haul:

2 OL - developmental OT/OG and a developmental OC. I like it.
1 CB - wanted 2, but what do you do. I really love the one I got.
2 EDGE - Got 2 edge guys. Really like what I did at this group.
1 SAF - I got a guy no one has heard of, but feels like a Scott type pick with better athleticism
1 RB - I got a HR hitter. Rams lack one.
2 WR - I added a really good all around weapon that is being undervalued and a size/speed guy that they can develop.
1 TE - A jack of all trades TE that has #1 upside. At worst a blocking #2 TE in 12 personnel.
1 QB - I got a guy I have loved for months now. I hate spending mid round picks on QBs, either spend a 1 or spend a 6 or 7 and pray he develops into something
1 IDL - I replaced Gaines with a small school stud (I hope) that can slowly earn his way into the rotation.

I really hope the Rams go hard at Kade Warner as an UDFA. 46 for 456 and 5 TDs. He's 6'-0" 201 lbs, ran a 4.56 and was a team captain for both Nebraska and Kansas State. He also happens to be Kurt's son. He has a legit shot to make a roster IMO.

I also think they will go hard at an ILB in UDFA. Isaiah Moore from NC State is a guy that probably doesn't get drafted, but I like his game.

Spencer Waege DE NDSU is also a guy I'd personally love to see in horns. at 6'-4.5" 280 lbs. - I think he could work at DE in the Rams scheme. Knows how to get to the QB and has a red hot motor. Fun guy to watch.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I did inquire to Dead about his thoughts about Kicker & Punter and here was his response. The NC State Kicker Chris Dunn I bet that new ST Coach Chase Blackburn has a good feel for because of his time in Carolina...Here is Dead's response.

I don't think they will grab a kicker or punter

There are just so many holes on the main roster.

There will be undrafted punters and kickers after the draft plus the FAs that are still out there.

I did some research:

Draft eligible kickers:
BT Potter - Clemson - Had a down year last year, but 2021 was outstanding
Anders Carlson - Auburn - (brother kicks in the NFL) Seems to be trending down, giant dude at 6'-5" 220
Jake Moody _ Mich. - My favorite, made 83% last year with a long of 59..., year before he made 92%. Big leg
Chris Dunn - NCST - my 2nd favorite, nailed both of his 50 yarders last year and made 28 or 29 on the season for 97%

Punters:
Michael Turk - Oklahoma - Big leg, pretty consistent
Bryce Baringer - Mich. St. - again, good leg, consistent. I think Turk has a tad more upside

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
That dude put in a LOT of work on that. So much that I'm going to have to come back and finish reading it later. Great job

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah I agree on UDFAs filling our ST holes. It is what it is. But if we do draft anything for teams it will be a kicker in rounds 6 or 7.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah I agree on UDFAs filling our ST holes. It is what it is. But if we do draft anything for teams it will be a kicker in rounds 6 or 7.
If the Rams draft a kicker, I'm in the mood for Jake Moody.