DE Eugene Sims signs 2-year extension

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

A55VA6

Legend
[tweet]https://twitter.com/jthom1/status/374615702373560321[/tweet]

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Setting this team up for a 3-year run. Demoff said when the window opens, you only get a few years to take advantage of it. This team is beginning to stake its claim, boyeeeeeeeeeee.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Congratulations, Eugene!

Solid guy to have in the rotation.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
This guy is about to take off. He came into camp LAST year like the light finally came on, and he knew he belonged. This year, he looked like he was almost saying "look out"!!!!

It wouldn't surprise me, if he doesn't get as many, if not more snaps than Quinn this year. He is by far, better against the run, and he can slide inside on passing downs.

This sets them up thru 2014 with EVERYONE on the Defensive line.

A55VA6

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
CoachO said:
This guy is about to take off. He came into camp LAST year like the light finally came on, and he knew he belonged. This year, he looked like he was almost saying "look out"!!!!

It wouldn't surprise me, if he doesn't get as many, if not more snaps than Quinn this year. He is by far, better against the run, and he can slide inside on passing downs.

I agree. Sims was pretty average, but ever since last year he's really taken a step. I love the way he plays. Glad we wrapped him up for a couple more years.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
I had my doubts about him after his first 2 seasons, but Sims took a great leap in 2012. I was actually disappointed that we kept him in favor of George Selvie who I thought outperformed him in the 2011 preseason. I'm not afraid to admit I was down on him heading into last year as I hadn't seen much, but the light just seemed to click. Well deserved contract and it makes sense to lock up our 2 utility DE/DL (Sims & Hayes) for the future. This whole Dline can grow together for years and I love how they feed off of each others success, which is what led to a league leading 52 sacks :hehe:

Memphis Ram

Legend
per rotoworld in January

Rams DE Eugene Sims' 2013 base salary increased from $575,000 to $1,201,021 after he hit escalators in his rookie deal.

My guess is that this may also be cap related.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Memphis Ram said:
per rotoworld in January

Rams DE Eugene Sims' 2013 base salary increased from $575,000 to $1,201,021 after he hit escalators in his rookie deal.

My guess is that this may also be cap related.

I was going to ask this question (about potential salary cap relief)... thanks for putting up this info, Memphis!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
This DL'er just makes the plays over & over again. he was slowed down some last yr when he got hurt for the first time but cam back strong. Real sorry to hear about this young man loosing his mother so very early in his life.

he is listed as a DE and he plays this spot very well usually the RDE but he also plays both DT spots and plays over the nose in passing situations and excels there too. Very smart move by Snead & Fisher!

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
CoachO said:

I don't know what your deal is against Quin but it seems like every other post you make your taking a shot at the guy. Sims is a good guy to have for depth but to say he's FAR better against the run is a little generous imo

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Afro Ram said:
CoachO said:

I don't know what your deal is against Quin but it seems like evert post you make your taking a shot at the guy. Sims is a good guy to have for depth but to say he's FAR better against the run is a little generous imo

My "deal" with Quinn, as you call it, is that I think he is a one trick pony. I think people fall in love with his sacks, and over look his otherwise AVERAGE ability to be an every down DE. He is the pure definition of "pin your ears back" and get up field. Usually to the point where he runs himself out of MOST plays to his side.

Its no coincidence, IMO, that they settled on the rotation of Sims/Hayes on first and second down, and the overall performance of the defense got a whole lot better because of it.

I have watched him for the past two years in training camp, work on the exact same thing. Go straight up field, and after its too late, try to recover and find the football.

This year, he got used by Jake Long on virtually every one on one drill.. It wasn't until the 3rd preseason game, that he displayed any kind of inside move at all.

I would hope that what is now his THIRD season, he can find a way to actually become an every down player, and that he actually learns how to read his keys, and hold up and set the edge against the run. I love his sacks as much as the next guy. I just think there is more to playing the position than STATS.

And by the way, I can apply the same sort of commentary, albeit to a lesser degree to his counter part Chris Long. I do believe he does a marginally better job against the run.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
True. I think what I really like more about Long is that he does a much better job at containment then Quinn.

fearsomefour

Legend
X said:
Setting this team up for a 3-year run. Demoff said when the window opens, you only get a few years to take advantage of it. This team is beginning to stake its claim, boyeeeeeeeeeee.

I remember them (Fisher/Snead) saying they had a three year plan before their first draft. Three years to get to the point they could contend seriously (I am assuming that is their plan) then about a three year window....then age and FA will determine the need to rebuild at least somewhat.

I think this approach plays into the release of Dunbar also. He was good last year, but, he messed up and I think Fisher loves the potential in Armstrong and Ogletree together. I think he is fine with those guys (and the S, and the WR) getting trial by fire this year, even if that means about a 500 record. I think Witherspoon starts the year, but, Armstron and Ogletree will be on the field together by Halloween. Just a thought. An exciting though as well.
Long/Brockers/DT/Quinn....Ogletree/JL/Armstrong....that is a front 7 with potentially no weakness and speed and the ability to attach from every position. You can look at the D and the potential and see a title. Of course, that is best laid plans and finding a dynamic DT to play beside Brockers.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
fearsomefour said:
X said:

I remember them (Fisher/Snead) saying they had a three year plan before their first draft. Three years to get to the point they could contend seriously (I am assuming that is their plan) then about a three year window....then age and FA will determine the need to rebuild at least somewhat.

I think this approach plays into the release of Dunbar also. He was good last year, but, he messed up and I think Fisher loves the potential in Armstrong and Ogletree together. I think he is fine with those guys (and the S, and the WR) getting trial by fire this year, even if that means about a 500 record. I think Witherspoon starts the year, but, Armstron and Ogletree will be on the field together by Halloween. Just a thought. An exciting though as well.
Long/Brockers/DT/Quinn....Ogletree/JL/Armstrong....that is a front 7 with potentially no weakness and speed and the ability to attach from every position. You can look at the D and the potential and see a title. Of course, that is best laid plans and finding a dynamic DT to play beside Brockers.
Yeah. Fisher said he'd never let a short-term veteran keep a younger player with as much (or more) upside from taking the field. By all accounts, Dunbar was only a stop-gap for a couple of years until they were able to replace him with a younger player. Which lines up with their desire to build a team that has sustained success.

fearsomefour

Legend
CoachO said:
"My "deal" with Quinn, as you call it, is that I think he is a one trick pony. I think people fall in love with his sacks, and over look his otherwise AVERAGE ability to be an every down DE. He is the pure definition of "pin your ears back" and get up field. Usually to the point where he runs himself out of MOST plays to his side.

Its no coincidence, IMO, that they settled on the rotation of Sims/Hayes on first and second down, and the overall performance of the defense got a whole lot better because of it.

I have watched him for the past two years in training camp, work on the exact same thing. Go straight up field, and after its too late, try to recover and find the football.

This year, he got used by Jake Long on virtually every one on one drill.. It wasn't until the 3rd preseason game, that he displayed any kind of inside move at all."

Couple of things with Quinn. I think you are dead on with his lack of desire to play the run. Maybe the staff is fine with that based on his ability to change down and distance with a sack. Working against Long everyday can only help. Developing a counter move would go a long way towards making him a more complete player. You are right that the only thing the idiot press talks about is sacks....a lot more to the position that just that.

I think Long has gotten much better with containing....he can still get blown up at the point of attack. However Long gets tons a pressures....he may collect 12 sacks in a year but has dozens of pressures, Quinn it seems either gets a sack or runs so wide of the pocket as to not be factor.

The Rams have developed a true rotation at DE....that is a great thing. Long and Quinn will get all the headlines but Hayes and Sims are very good DEs, would probably be starting a lot of places. Having that true rotation does several things. First a T has to worry about several different styles of play and different pass rush moves. Second it helps keep fresh legs on the field. Giving plenty of downs to Hayes and Sims early in games could certainly pay off late in games with two speed rushers with fresh legs. This could be played out in the first two weeks esp. Guys are not used to playing four quarters of football and guys tiring happens a lot the first couple of weeks. I think the Rams passrush gets hellatious in the 4th quarter vs. the Cards if they use the rotation a lot in the first three quarters.