Davis again fighting for his spot on Rams roster/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Davis again fighting for his spot on Rams roster
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_2d8b901c-77b0-5794-863c-7e4b301ec41f.html

Quarterback Austin Davis is embarking on his fourth NFL training camp, all as a Ram. With veteran backups Kellen Clemens and Shaun Hill come and gone, and former No. 1 overall pick Sam Bradford shipped to Philadelphia in March, that makes Davis — believe it or not — the most tenured quarterback on the roster in terms of Rams service.

“It’s nice to be the one constant, I guess,” Davis said, smiling.

During OTAs in June, Davis was startled to hear new offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti refer to him as the “veteran” in the QB room.

“I was just kind of blown away,” Davis said. “I guess that’s how fast it happens. You just keep building one year on top of the other, and next thing you know you’re considered a veteran. I guess that’s how it works.”

Something like that. Third-round draft pick Sean Mannion of Oregon State is a 23-year-old rookie. Nick Foles, 26, has 24 NFL starts and 893 career passes but is new to the Rams this season via the Bradford trade.

Case Keenum, 27, knows his way around Rams Park after spending most of last season here, either on the active roster or the practice squad. But he’s yet to throw a pass as a Ram in a regular-season game or even a preseason contest.

Which brings us back to Davis, the not-quite-grizzled vet.

“It is a different feel, but every year’s different and we all have a role to play,” Davis said. “I’m trying to do my best to figure out what that role’s gonna be for me and how I can help the team.”

First things first. Above all else, Davis needs to make the team. It seems all but a certainty the Rams will keep three quarterbacks this season. Foles obviously is the starter. As a third-round draft pick, rookie Mannion just may be the Rams’ QB of the future, so he’s unlikely to be going anywhere when the final roster cuts come in early September.

That leaves Davis and Keenum competing for the No. 2 spot behind Foles.

“I feel like every year there are four good quarterbacks here, especially this year,” Davis said. “I think we’re probably as deep as we’ve ever been — we’ve got four good ones. So keep competing, keep playing. Make everyone better. And let things happen the way they will.”

Following injuries to Bradford (preseason) and Hill (Week 1), Davis played impressive ball at times last season. The Southern Mississippi product threw for 300-plus yards in back-to-back weeks against Dallas and Philadelphia. He was under center for victories at Tampa Bay, at home against Seattle and at San Francisco.

But he also struggled in several games, had trouble with turnovers and decision-making at times, and was replaced by Hill over the final seven contests of 2014.

After not playing a regular-season down in either 2012 or ’13 for the Rams, Davis put 10 games on his résumé last season, including eight starts, completing 63.4 percent of his 284 passes for 2,101 yards, 12 touchdowns and nine interceptions. His passer rating was a respectable 85.1.

How much did he gain from last season?

“The biggest thing was getting out on the field and realizing that I could do it,” said Davis, who broke many of Brett Favre’s college records at Southern Miss. “Now that I’ve done that, I’m very excited to continue to get better, and to figure out how I can be more successful each week.

“I think that’s the challenge. It’s not just going out and doing it for one week, it’s going out and doing it week after week. That’s what I learned last year. How do you keep your body fresh? How do you keep your mind fresh? I think experience is huge in this game, so last year was a big step for me.”

It remains to be seen whether Davis gets a chance to take another big step this season. During the organized team activities (OTAs) that were open to the media in June, Keenum got most of the practice reps with the second-team offense, not Davis.

That’s been the case so far in training camp as well. With the first unit, newcomer Foles is getting lots of work — more than an established starter normally gets with the 1s.

“There’s not a lot of reps out there,” Davis said. “I’ll be really honest, it’s hard. Because a lot of things you know on paper you don’t get to experience on the field and with live bullets. But I feel the more reps I get, the better I get, and more confident I get. I’m ready to do the best I can to take this as far as I can take it.”

Under the new collective bargaining agreement of 2011, practice time has been limited overall both in the spring and during training camp. That’s left fewer slices of the pie for Davis, and really all of the backups.

“I think ‘Cig’ really upped the 1s’ reps to get Nick more comfortable with what we’re doing,” Davis said, referencing new offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti. “And that obviously reduces the 2s and the 3s.”

It also makes the preseason games all the more important, although it’s very possible Foles will get more work than usual in exhibition play as well.

“But we’re going to allow ’em all to play, allow them to compete and see what happens,” coach Jeff Fisher said. “Case has won games. Austin’s won games. They both have a good feel for what they’re doing.

“They’ve got a tall, slender rookie that’s breathing down their necks right now (Mannion). So it should be a good battle.”

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
It's going to be Foles,Mannion and Keenum imo Davis was given a shot and he couldn't cut it.The league figured him out fairly quick and he was unable to adjust to the league. I would try to keep him on the practice team if possible in the event of multiple Qb injuries.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I thank Austin Davis for giving me hope and I won't write him off just yet, but if the Rams keep Keenum over Davis I could see Davis landing elsewhere, however, the trend now is to carry two QB's of late, but if he lands on a practice squad one would surmise it would be elsewhere to give him a shot with another organization.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I loved his attitude and he played well above his weight. Until he got worked out.

I will forever be grateful to him for making the Cowboys game enjoyable for the most part. I was inconsolable after the vikings game. I thought my one shot to watch the rams live was going to be a disaster but he helped make a game of it. Even though he ultimately threw it away with a pick 6.

I wish him well whatever happens.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He's as good as done...Even though reports say he had a good day today.....

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Sorry - love his attitude, but please get rid of him. And Davis is Keenum light.

Killgasm

Starter
Name
Alex
I see Davis starting for the desperate 49ers sometime this season.