David Carr:I don't believe he's quite ready to take it to the next level.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Big Game

Living The Dream
We are still waiting on David Carr "to take it to the next level" :mrburnsevil::football:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jared Goff, Los Angeles Rams?
2017 projection: ???

You know, I really thought about putting Goff on this list. I wanted to. But I just can't. I don't believe he's quite ready to take it to the next level. I hope he proves me wrong, though.

Follow David Carr on Twitter @DCarr8.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-among-young-quarterbacks-poised-to-break-out
Another pundit with no basis for it posting negative thoughts about Goff. We haven't seen any real practices and no preseason games. Yet somehow he thinks he's not ready. We don't know enough about his progress yet this off season. But all reports from OTA's are positive.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I don't think he said anything negative. The list was for young QBs poised to breakout. After the rookie season Goff just had, if he was on, the 49ers, non of us would be thinking he was going to break out either. There's a bit more research that we do as fans, countless articles we read, and a bit of homerism that leads us to believe he's ready. On the outside looking in, it would be hard to say he is.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't think he said anything negative. The list was for young QBs poised to breakout. After the rookie season Goff just had, if he was on, the 49ers, non of us would be thinking he was going to break out either. There's a bit more research that we do as fans, countless articles we read, and a bit of homerism that leads us to believe he's ready. On the outside looking in, it would be hard to say he is.

IF Goff was on the 9ers and had the same rookie season, and they went out and hired this exact staff to un-F the offense, I would absolutely list him on a young QB breakout list. Why? Because of what was around him plus the fact that very few greats had impact first seasons.

That dude has taken more flak than any QB I can remember who was taken high and of all these experts none of them have the ability to look fairly at what he had around him last year from the scheme/OC to the OL to the undisciplined wideouts. It's groupthink plain and simple. And hopefully it's wrong, like way wrong.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I think it is realistic to expect him to have a slightly better year than what Wentz had last year. He is behind Wentz because the offense Goff was stuck in last year and the poor coaching he dealt with. Plus now having to learn a new offense this year.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
We'll see what happens this season. Might as well be his rookie season seeing that he's learning a new playbook. Luckily he's only been through the Fisher offense for one year and has plenty of time to repress the bad habits that came with it

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
David Carr now has a very successful career as the Older Brother / Analysis of Derek Carr!
As long as the latter is successful the former will have a Job!

But all kidding aside, I like them both, But David is obviously Bias, and so would I be!

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Goff is only one year removed from a college spread offense where he did not take snaps from center, did not call the plays in the huddle (didn't huddle), did not play with the narrow hashmarks of the NFL and did not make protection calls.

May not be ready to break out....

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Another pundit with no basis for it posting negative thoughts about Goff. We haven't seen any real practices and no preseason games. Yet somehow he thinks he's not ready. We don't know enough about his progress yet this off season. But all reports from OTA's are positive.
My God yes....They HAVE NO BASIS to make such a comment without seeing him at least freakin practice with pads on.

David Carr is added to the @sshat list.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Like you said we haven't seen anything from Goff this year he might be better he might be worse right now it's an even split because we haven't seen anything all he has to go off of is Goff 0-7 record

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Like you said we haven't seen anything from Goff this year he might be better he might be worse right now it's an even split because we haven't seen anything all he has to go off of is Goff 0-7 record[/QUOTE]

Not quite. Goff did not react as good as we'd like to the adversity he faced last year, but most if not all of the other impediments have been addressed.

Oline has been restructured with a good-great LT playing, which is a massive change over GRob. Robert Woods and Kupp seem to be those precise route runners that Goff can count on. Any improvement in the previous two areas, should help Todd Gurley in the running game. We have a HC that massively improved a QB and the entire offense in Washington, replacing the stone-age HC Jeff Fisher.

He doesn't mention any of this shyte. He acts as though nothing has changed and that Goff is a total fukk-up.
Forgive my french, but screw these guys, they know nothing....and act as though they don't want to know what's going on with the team

Last edited:

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not quite. Goff did not react as good as we'd like to the adversity he faced last year, but most if not all of the other impediments have been addressed.

Oline has been restructured with a good-great LT playing, which is a massive change over GRob. Robert Woods and Kupp seem to be those precise route runners that Goff can count on. Any improvement in the previous two areas, should help Todd Gurley in the running game. We have a HC that massively improved a QB and the entire offense in Washington, replacing the stone-age HC Jeff Fisher.

He doesn't mention any of this shyte. He acts as though nothing has changed and that Goff is a total fukk-up.
Forgive my french, but screw these guys, they know nothing....and act as though they don't want to know what's going on with the team
In all fairness none of that mean anything until actual games are played. What if we lose our LT what if Sullivan sucks what if McVay in game management is terrible. As a fan we look at all the positives and hope for the best we can't expect that from people that's not fans especially when it's no proof to say they are wrong.

Now when the preseason come around Goff just has to make everyone eat their words

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In all fairness none of that mean anything until actual games are played. What if we lose our LT what if Sullivan sucks what if McVay in game management is terrible. As a fan we look at all the positives and hope for the best we can't expect that from people that's not fans especially when it's no proof to say they are wrong.

Now when the preseason come around Goff just has to make everyone eat their words
I said "addressed" and not fixed. Of course the changes may not all work. But if you point to last year, that team doesn't exist anymore, as is true with every team in the NFL. People come and go, and the Rams changed more than most teams with the firing of the coaching staff. This is a new team, with many returning players. Of course the changes mean something, but the results may not be all positive. To act as though the facts from a team that doesn't exist anymore as being the most relevant (the exact 2016 squad), is also not honest.

Goff's performance will be different..Whether we like that difference is another matter.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I said "addressed" and not fixed. Of course the changes may not all work. But if you point to last year, that team doesn't exist anymore, as is true with every team in the NFL. People come and go, and the Rams changed more than most teams with the firing of the coaching staff. This is a new team, with many returning players. Of course the changes mean something, but the results may not be all positive. To act as though the facts from a team that doesn't exist anymore as being the most relevant (the exact 2016 squad), is also not honest.

Goff's performance will be different..Whether we like that difference is another matter.

I do think that the changes are positive and it bodes well for the team it might just not show itself until year 2

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Most of the people taking shots at Goff have nothing to lose ... if he has a bad year they can say I told you so and walk away with people thinking they are football smart

If he has a good year ... they'll praise the crap out of mcvay and co for coaching him up to be the franchise QB we traded up for ..yadda yadda and no one will eat crow over it

Most of em post their shots with caveats (better supporting cast .. better coaching he can be good showed signs ) it's easy for them .. and frankly pisses me off not a one of em will out their money where their mouths are ... hell some will flip
And say I always thought he had the tools just couldn't produce with fisher

JGoff will make them eat those words (barring injury )

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
Carr is giving an honest opinion (for which he is paid).
What exactly IS the next level for Goff?
-Descent?
-OK?
-Not bad?

I, for one, believe he WILL reach one of these next levels this year, maybe all. :ROFLMAO:

Pape

UDFA
Last season brought zero bragging rights for Goff and left a lot of questions on the table. Can he be better? Sure, because what will help him the most is taking a majority of the snaps with the no. 1's during training camp.

He has to get better at his pre-snap reads, and he has to be a lot better at getting the ball out faster - which means developing the trust in his receivers. Knowing the routes/timing is something that will develop over the course of training camp. After about two weeks everyone will have a better understanding of where he stands.

If I were writing this article I would not have put Goff on the potential "break-out qb" list either. He showed nothing last year that would/should warrant that type of praise. The biggest thing he has going for him this year is that Jeff Fisher isn't with the Rams anymore. Fisher was never able to develop a good quarterback ( and yes, I mean McNair too - completely over rated imo).

The one thing that should help Goff immensely is a re-established running game. If the reworked O-Line can help Gurley get back to his rookie form, that will take the pressure off Goff so he doesnt have to do "everything". It will be interesting to see how everything falls into place for LA this season.