Dave Razzano's list of top (potential) GM's.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Dave Razzano
<a class="postlink" href="http://blog.therazzreport.com/?p=270" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://blog.therazzreport.com/?p=270</a>

There are several promising future GM types in NFL front offices today. The “Scout type” model is the best way to go in terms of building a consistent winner. As former Coach Jimmy Johnson likes to say, “the talent guy is more important than the owner and even the Head Coach”, a statement few coaches will admit. Everybody knows talent is and always will be the key to success. Below is a list of top flight evaluators who would be outstanding GM’s if given the opportunity and should be on every NFL Owner’s short list.

1. John Dorsey – Director of College Scouting, Green Bay

As GM Ted Thompson’s right hand man, Dorsey is a scout by trade who rarely lets a prospect slip by his eye. The former Connecticut LB has played a significant role in the Packer’s success over the past decade. John will go to far reaches of the country to find players. Some Director’s will grade only the “top” rated prospects. Dorsey will grade every player at each school trying to find the next “diamond in the rough.” Any owner looking for a GM would be wise to interview this man.

2. Ryan Grigson – Director of Player Personnel, Philadelphia

The former Purdue offensive tackle and 6th round pick of the Bengals in 1995, Grigson (pictured) is an astute evaluator who gets as much satisfaction scouting the Yankee Conference as he does the rugged SEC. He is a firm believer in “eye” confidence and is not swayed by other opinions. His NFL, CFL and Arena league background give him a more varied resume than most. A tireless worker, Grigson should be on every team’s short list of GM candidates. His “passion” is key to his success.

3. Steve Keim – Director of Player Personnel, Arizona

Boasting a similar resume of the Eagles Grigson, Keim ( pictured in suit )was a four year starter and Captain during his playing career at NC State. Keim’s draft room influence played a key role in the Cardinals Super Bowl run a few years back. His commanding presence and draft room acumen have resulted in former 2nd round steals like WO Anquan Boldin and LB Karlos Dansby as well as 3rd round gems DS Adrian Wilson and DT Darnell Dockett. With people skills to match, Keim’s eye for talent is outstanding and is the Cardinals single biggest reason for their recent success.

4. Terry McDonough – Director of Player Personnel, Jacksonville

Son of the late Boston Globe icon Will McDonough, Terry’s rise in the rankings is no surprise to those who know him. Never one to waiver, McDonough (pictured) has that rare confidence in his opinions and is usually spot on. A legendary tape grinder, it is not unusual to find Terry studying tape at 1:30 am trying to find the next draft gem. As right hand man to GM Gene Smith, expect the Jaguars continued improvement under this talented chief scout.

5. Dave Gettleman – Director of Pro Personnel, New York Giants

The Giants are an upper echelon team and this hard working tape grinder is a big reason why. Gettleman always sticks to his guns with conviction. He understands both the College and Pro side of the game and is one of the good guys in the industry. Has strong opinions yet is humble at the same time. This guy would be an outstanding leader with a solid and sound Blueprint for success.

6. Keith Kidd – Director of Pro Personnel, Denver

The son of retired Eastern Kentucky coaching legend Roy Kidd has a solid reputation in personnel circles after serving under the Carmen Policy/Dwight Clark regime in Cleveland as Director of Pro Scouting then New England under Bill Belichick. Known for his vast football knowledge and organizational skills, Kidd is playing a vital role in Denver’s resurgence as an AFC power and would be a viable candidate for any GM opening.

7. Jason Licht – Director of Pro Personnel, New England

Both organized and thorough in his approach, the personable Licht has worked under some of the league’s more prominent names like Jimmy Johnson, Andy Reid and now Belichick, where he plays a big part in keeping the Pats on top of the AFC standings. Licht has played a strong role with three different teams now and will likely find himself on several GM short lists in the near future. His eye for talent and overall personnel skills are why Bill Belichick brought him back to New England after a short stint with the Arizona Cardinals.

8. Reggie McKenzie – Director of Football Operations, Green Bay

The former Tennessee Volunteer and seven year NFL linebacker has been mentioned lately for several GM gigs and deservedly so. He has played a major role in shaping the Packers Pro Scouting efforts for over 15 years now and consistenly produces highly productive free agent aquisitions for the Super Bowl champs. With excellent work ethic and a keen eye for talent, McKenzie would be a solid hire for a team looking to build and sustain a winner.

9. Scott Studwell – Director of College Scouting, Minnesota

Not one to seek the limelight, I have long considered Studwell (pictured) to be one of the league’s premiere personnel guys. The former Viking LB holds the team record for career tackles with 1,981 including an incredible 230 stops in the 1981 season. He scouts with the same determination as when he played and leaves no stone unturned in finding players. Studwell has played a prominent role for the Vikings over the years and is a major reason why they have been a highly competitive franchise year in and year out. I have little doubt he would succeed if handed the keys to a team.

10. Duke Tobin – Director of Player Personnel, Cincinnati

Son of legendary personnel chief Bill Tobin, Duke has quietly done an outstanding job bringing talent to the Bengals, who have few holes on their roster. Known to use their coaches more than most teams, Tobin has done very well as “lead captain” for owner Mike Brown’s ship. He obviously learned from one of the best and it shows.

11. Lionel Vital – Assistant Director of Player Personnel, Atlanta

Having learned under both Bill Belichick and Baltimore GM Ozzie Newsome, the former 7th round draft pick out of Nicholls State knows talent as well as anyone. The well connected Vital is a detail oriented type who is known for finding “under the radar” sleepers. His solid football background makes him more than ready for a GM job.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I'm more interested in this rather than the HC. B/c there's a chance whoever the GM is he's gonna bring in his guy, rather than Kroenke's choosing.

I'd like the GB guys and the Arizona fella.

Why isn't there anyone from Pittsburgh, tho?

Screw it. I'll do it. :razzed:

superfan24

Starter
Definitely #1 from Green Bay should be at the top of the list. He would be great for the Rams. However, 2 and 3 wouldn't be bad either. Just please God NO to AJ Smith.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Why not Duke Tobin? I actually think he's done a quality job for the Bengals, considering the crap that he has for an owner. This is the guy who found Dalton, Peko, Atkins, Whitworth and Maualuga (who actually had a very good year for them). This guy drafted guys like Joseph, Hall, and Green in the first round. This guy was also in charge of finding guys like Manny Lawson as bargain free agents.

Yes, I realize that he drafted Andre Smith. However, even the top guys from Green Bay and Pittsburgh miss on high draft picks; look no further than Justin Harrell (first round, Green Bay) and Limas Sweed (second round, Pittsburgh).

Lesson

Oh, really?
Memento said:
Why not Duke Tobin? I actually think he's done a quality job for the Bengals, considering the crap that he has for an owner. This is the guy who found Dalton, Peko, Atkins, Whitworth and Maualuga (who actually had a very good year for them). This guy drafted guys like Joseph, Hall, and Green in the first round. This guy was also in charge of finding guys like Manny Lawson as bargain free agents.

Dalton was the result of Jay Gruden pushing for him.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Lesson said:
Memento said:

Dalton was the result of Jay Gruden pushing for him.

But Tobin still had to pull the trigger.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Mike Brown has final say on draft picks there.

Why not one of these 2 fellas from the Steelers"

Ron Hughes, College Scouting Coordinator
Brandon Hunt, Pro Personnel Coordinator

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
1, 7, 8, or 11. It would be hard for me to stomach anyone from NE but... screw it. You have to like a lot of their moves. Though I would question some of their more recent moves. Anyone working within the GB organization is hard to argue with. And I like a lot of the moves Atl has done of late. I think their talent level is high and personally think their coaching is what is holding them back.