DARTA

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I buy into most of this, as it is closely related to Team Net turnover points...where the Rams failed miserably last season, and wound up occupying the cellar of this important statistic along with teams like Oakland, Tampa, Washington, Tennessee and the NYJ.

I've already posted a ton on this vital statistic.
http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-net-turnover-points-statistics/2014/
Net turnover points statistic measures the points a team generates off of takeaways including interceptions and fumbles less the points its opponents have generated off of interceptions thrown and fumbles lost.

Teams with high net turnover points are those who take advantage of turnovers by scoring points and preventing opponents from putting up points when turning over the ball.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
There's something to DARTA. Stats always are skewed in some fashion or another but game events included in DARTA are game changing. If the Rams do significantly better as far as DARTA goes, the Win/loss record improves enough to make us very very happy.

Ram65

Legend
I buy into most of this, as it is closely related to Team Net turnover points...where the Rams failed miserably last season, and wound up occupying the cellar of this important statistic along with teams like Oakland, Tampa, Washington, Tennessee and the NYJ.

I've already posted a ton on this vital statistic.
http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-net-turnover-points-statistics/2014/
Net turnover points statistic measures the points a team generates off of takeaways including interceptions and fumbles less the points its opponents have generated off of interceptions thrown and fumbles lost.

Teams with high net turnover points are those who take advantage of turnovers by scoring points and preventing opponents from putting up points when turning over the ball.

This would be a better indicator of a winning team. Turnovers or Special Team plays that result in a TD can't be taken back or away from the scoreboard. A turnover or ST play that ends up deep in the opponents territory or anywhere on the field does NOT always end up as a score. Defenses can still contain the offenses and have control over the scoreboard that does not exist once the offense/ST gave up a TD.

I would say (without research) that the Rams defense showed better in limiting points off the turnovers that didn't result in TD last year. On the reverse side I guess the Rams offense didn't fare as well in getting points and TDs off off turnovers. The net turnover point statistic is a great stat to look at for all NFL teams.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
This would be a better indicator of a winning team. Turnovers or Special Team plays that result in a TD can't be taken back or away from the scoreboard. A turnover or ST play that ends up deep in the opponents territory or anywhere on the field does NOT always end up as a score. Defenses can still contain the offenses and have control over the scoreboard that does not exist once the offense/ST gave up a TD.

I would say (without research) that the Rams defense showed better in limiting points off the turnovers that didn't result in TD last year. On the reverse side I guess the Rams offense didn't fare as well in getting points and TDs off off turnovers. The net turnover point statistic is a great stat to look at for all NFL teams.
Actually the Rams gave up 102 points directly from our offensive turnovers(there are those pick sixes, so can't really hate on our defense too much).
Only Philadelphia and Oakland were worse. Top 5(best) teams in points given away off turnovers? Seattle, Green Bay, New England, Arizona and Kansas City. Go figure.

The Rams scored 79 points off turnovers. Middle of the pack(14th).

That's a Net -23 points for our Rams. Not good enough for a team that wants to control the ball, the clock and take care of the ball.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Actually the Rams gave up 102 points directly from our offensive turnovers(there are those pick sixes, so can't really hate on our defense too much).
Only Philadelphia and Oakland were worse. Top 5(best) teams in points given away off turnovers? Seattle, Green Bay, New England, Arizona and Kansas City. Go figure.

That's a Net -23 points for our Rams. Not good enough for a team that wants to control the ball, the clock and take care of the ball.
do u know what the top 5 teams were in net points?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
do u know what the top 5 teams were in net points?
1. Green Bay +67
2. New England +61
3. Houston +51
4. Seattle +47
5. Miami +41

27. Rams -23
28. Tennessee -27
29. Tampa Bay -39
30. NYJ -67
31. Washington -70
32. Oakland -77

Ram65

Legend

My point was to not include the pick sixes as the defense has no control over stopping the TD.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
My point was to not include the pick sixes as the defense has no control over stopping the TD.
Sure, that's why i noted that in the post. Net turnover points is a team stat though, so no matter how you slice it...it's all about minimizing the damage caused by your mistakes and taking full advantage of the opponents mistakes. The Rams failed to do that and we all know that it cost them games.

Ram65

Legend
n 2014, the Rams gave up TEN touchdowns/70 points (by far the most in the NFL) in this statistical measure. 8 were defensive TD's resulting from fumbles and interceptions, 1 resulted from a blocked punt, and the 10th was a 99-yard kickoff return by Kansas City's Knile Davis. In contrast, Miami, Seattle, Baltimore, Pittsburgh and Kansas City all gave up 2 points or less in this statistical measure last season.

Sure, that's why i noted that in the post. Net turnover points is a team stat though, so no matter how you slice it...it's all about minimizing the damage caused by your mistakes and taking full advantage of the opponents mistakes. The Rams failed to do that and we all know that it cost them games.

So if you take away the 8 TDs plus extra points given up by the Rams offense then the defense would have been plus 33 points (56-23=33) if my math is correct.(y) I think we are agreeing on your net turnover points as a solid indicator of team success . I just questioned the DARTA effect. The Chargers gave up a defensive return for TD by the Rams and still won. I'm not sure how many games the Rams would have won where they gave up TDs on the pick sixes.