Dark clouds over New England

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
<a class="postlink" href="http://nfl.si.com/2013/06/21/aaron-hernandez-saga-just-the-latest-dark-cloud-hovering-over-pats/?sct=uk_t11_a2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://nfl.si.com/2013/06/21/aaron-hern ... =uk_t11_a2</a>

Fort Belichick is in disarray.

Already, the franchise that espouses the fundamental (if somewhat ambiguous) “Patriot Way” mantra had endured an unusually tumultuous offseason. And that was before tight end Aaron Hernandez, less than a year removed from signing a pricey contract extension, became a possible suspect in the murder of 27-year-old Odin Lloyd.

The Patriots’ mystique may be waning, and not just because of the potentially serious legal issues facing Hernandez over the coming months. This offseason, up to and including this week’s developments, has been unusually tumultuous for one of the league’s more sure-footed franchises.

New England entered its offseason earlier than expected, following a humbling playoff home loss to the Ravens — the Patriots’ eighth consecutive postseason trip that ended without a Super Bowl ring and their third time in the past four years falling on their home turf. Then, Wes Welker bolted for rival Denver, Alfonzo Dennard was sentenced to 30 days in jail for assaulting a police officer and Rob Gronkowski became a frequent guest of the surgical community.

All of that (and the questions about New England’s 2013 prospects that followed) occurred before Hernandez’s home landed front and center in a murder investigation. That Hernandez’s dreadful situation has happened less than a year after he signed a pricey contract extension will make the front office even more uneasy.

There are more pressing matters at hand, particularly in regards to Hernandez, but football minds can ask with the Patriots a month away from reconvening for camp: Is this team ready for a fall?

The rest of the AFC East certainly hopes so, having watched New England roll to back-to-back-to-back-to-back division crowns. Miami spent big money to chase a playoff berth; Buffalo switched coaching staffs and landed a QB, E.J. Manuel, it hopes finally can be a franchise guy at that position; the Jets, though with myriad issues of their own, did the same by drafting Geno Smith.

Those three teams should feel that the door to first place has propped open, if only because the Patriots’ own title window might have closed a bit.

The Patriots will have to fight that perception, at least, as they start the coming season with questions at wide receiver and tight end (if Hernandez isn’t on the field in Week 1, the Patriots will open the season without their five leading receivers from last year), cornerback (where the team only added third-rounder Logan Ryan to a group that finished 29th against the pass last year) and off the field. The outcome of this evolving story surrounding Hernandez is impossible to guess, but the absolute simplest outcome is that it threatens to be a distraction in July and August.

New England has the type of leadership to weather a potential storm — Bill Belichick, Tom Brady, Logan Mankins, Vince Wilfork and others provide necessarily steady hands. Still, there is enough for the Patriots to be concerned about on the field without having to worry that one of their offensive stars will spend the season in jail.

What must Brady think of his team’s recent news? The future Hall of Famer has survived, sometimes even thrived, with an underwhelming cast of characters around him — like the 2004 Super Bowl run, with David Givens and David Patten as the team’s leading receivers.

That was a decade ago, though. The soon-to-be 36-year-old QB has proven he has plenty left in the tank, and yet the latest incarnation of the Patriots’ offense was designed around Welker’s capabilities in the slot, Hernandez’s versatility and Gronkowski’s elite abilities as a combo pass-catcher/blocker. What happens if Brady has to enter the season without any of those players available to him? (No, Tim Tebow’s not about to dominate as a tight end.)

Admittedly, asking the question “Who will catch Tom Brady’s passes?” is a gross simplification of New England’s situation. Belichick has never shied away from rolling the dice on red-flagged players. Plenty of those gambles have paid off, too, but maybe there’s a more fundamental issue at play.

Maybe the Patriots, by turning a blind eye to Hernandez’s sketchy past, set themselves up for some of these problems.

New England likely will head into the 2013 season as the favorite again within the AFC East, if not one of the expected contenders in the conference. The outlook in Foxboro, however, is far from sunny.

If there is still exists a “Patriot Way,” now would be the ideal time to rediscover it.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
You cant operate based on deception, fear and silence forever. At some point it all comes crashing down and the evil core exposed.

jap

Legend
The Patriots situation gets even worst when Danny_A checks out due to his annual injuries.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
There is the possibility that they have strayed from their core ideals for operations. That can happen when success comes every year like it has for so long. Maybe they felt a little bullet proof eh.

When Welker left for Denver I felt he was thinking they had a better chance to get to the SB and win, plus they paid him of course.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
LesBaker getting down to the nitty gritty:

When Welker left for Denver I felt he was thinking they had a better chance to get to the SB and win, plus they paid him of course.

Both are excellent reasons to leave the (hopefully) sinking ship.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Gentlemen easy does it here. All teams take chances on players, in fact, the Rams have also. Let this scenario play out before you're penalized for piling on. Believe me nobody would enjoy the demise of the Patriots more than yours truly, however, it's only one player and you don't judge an organziation because of one player.

Overall the Patriots have had very few issues and as to Wes Welker IMO Belichick wanted to part ways with Welker because of some big drops in key situations. Super Bowl against the Giants and playoff game against the Ravens. I just think Belichick felt the Amendola was younger, faster and had better hands with the only question mark being durability, albeit a major one.

Again I'm not trying to be a Patriot sympathizer, but before we start playing taps let them begin the season at 1-7 or 2-6 to reinforce that the wicked witch is actually dead.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
den-the-coach said:
Gentlemen easy does it here. All teams take chances on players, in fact, the Rams have also. Let this secario play before you're penalized for piling on. Believe me nobody would enjoy the demise of the Patriots more than yours truly, however, it's only one player and you don't judge an organziation because of one player.

Overall the Patriots have had very few issues and as to Wes Welker IMO Belichick wanted to part ways with Welker because of some big drops in key situations. Super Bowl against the Giants and playoff game against the Ravens. I just think Belichick felt the Amendola was younger, faster and had better hands with the only question mark being durability, albeit a major one.

Again I'm not trying to be a Patriot sympathizer, but before we start playing taps let them begin the season at 1-7 or 2-6 to reinforce that the wicked witch is actually dead.

Nothing like throwing a bucket of ice water on our fun, Den... :razzed:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
albefree69 said:

JMO but AS WE HAVE learned ,staying on top is every bit as hard as getting there.
Your staff get's raided ,players go over the hill, success breeds complacency

jap

Legend
Thordaddy said:
albefree69 said:

JMO but AS WE HAVE learned ,staying on top is every bit as hard as getting there.
Your staff get's raided ,players go over the hill, success breeds complacency

Actually, it's even harder. Besides the excellent points you name, opposing clubs treat each regular season game with you as though it's their own personal SuperBowl---you actually face each opponent's very best effort week in and week out. Your winning strategies are analyzed to death, and any team that has success against you will have it's strategy copied and refined.

To truly be a dynasty (i.e., without resorting to disreputable manipulations), one has to be willing to constantly tweak and even reinvent one's team if need be. The search for new talent to replace aging/injured veterans is an on-going affair, and GM's like Les can be worth their weight in gold.

nighttrain

Legend
the patsies are gonna be hurting if it happens that they lose both their tight ends, and Gronk is out for sure, at least for a huge part of the season. I like
train

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
nighttrain said:
the patsies are gonna be hurting if it happens that they lose both their tight ends, and Gronk is out for sure, at least for a huge part of the season. I like
train
Yeah but doesn't a little bit of you think , so if Gronks gone and Hernandez is gone and they plug two no names in who put up all pro #'s and they get to the playoff, we are never going to hear the end of how great Brady and the Javier Barden look alike are.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
Thordaddy said:
nighttrain said:
train
Yeah but doesn't a little bit of you think , so if Gronks gone and Hernandez is gone and they plug two no names in who put up all pro #'s and they get to the playoff, we are never going to hear the end of how great Brady and the Javier Barden look alike are.

Not gonna happen. So bite me

wv

Rookie
EastRam said:
Thordaddy said:
nighttrain said:
train

He'll be coach of the year. Just watch.
They'll morph into defense and ball control or somethin.

w
v

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
EastRam said:
Thordaddy said:
nighttrain said:
train

Comes back acting like an ass, MODS, OH MODS , we have a ruffian trolling about,toss this one and I'll go find another.

I'm convinced the SOB has made a deal with the devil and won't get what's coming to him until he meets his maker.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
Thordaddy said:
EastRam said:
Thordaddy said:
nighttrain said:
train

Comes back acting like an ass, MODS, OH MODS , we have a ruffian trolling about,toss this one and I'll go find another.

I'm convinced the SOB has made a deal with the devil and won't get what's coming to him until he meets his maker.

Oh ur good...But u can still BITE me...the Pats are toast!

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
EastRam said:
Thordaddy said:
EastRam said:
Thordaddy said:
nighttrain said:
train

Oh ur good...But u can still BITE me...the Pats are toast!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5K5UesB8T8[/youtube]

Ram_of_Old

albefree69 said:

We can only hope... :ww: