Dante Fowler Jr. named one of NFL's most underrated players from 1st half

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
gettyimages-1183821543.jpg

Cameron DaSilva
4 hours ago

Aaron Donald gets most of the attention on defense for the Los Angeles Rams – and deservingly so – but fellow pass rusher Dante Fowler Jr. has quietly had an excellent season. Thanks to a dominant two-week stretch against the Falcons and Bengals, Fowler now leads the team with 6.5 sacks and is tied for first with nine QB hits.
In the first eight games of the season, Fowler has shown why the Rams were willing to give him a one-year, $12 million deal this offseason. He’s making them look smart for that decision, bolstering the pass rush at outside linebacker.

Doug Farrar of Touchdown Wire recently ranked the most underrated players in the NFL from the first half of the season and Fowler made the list.
Selected with the third overall pick in the 2015 draft out of Florida by the Jaguars, Fowler struggled early on to live up to any of his monstrous potential as his raw athleticism was taken to task by more experienced blockers, and injuries and off-field issues affected his growth as a player. He was a pretty decent disruptor at times, but after missing his entire rookie season due to a torn ACL, he never managed more than eight sacks in a season. Perhaps the best thing that could have happened to Fowler was a 2018 mid-season trade to the Rams, where he was given one task by defensive coordinator Wade Phillips: Pin your ears back and go get the quarterback. In 2019, Fowler has done that better than at any other point in his career, with 6.5 sacks, two quarterback hits, and 33 quarterback hurries. Now, Fowler has become a fully-loaded pass-rushing monster, able to take blockers apart with speed and force at the edge, or a quick inside move to demolish on stunts and twists.
Fowler hasn’t necessarily lived up to the hype of being the third overall pick in 2015, but he’s making an impact for the Rams this year – just as he did in the second half of last season. He still has to win more consistently and not disappear from games, but he’s off to a great start in 2019.
His impact has been felt even more with Clay Matthews sidelined due to a broken jaw. Matthews is expected to return after this week’s bye, but it’s clear Fowler is the best edge rusher Los Angeles has right now.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not much question that Fowler has become a real asset for the Rams, it's just that I can't see him as remaining affordable going forward thru free agency. Our CAP is way too tight at this time. Fortunately, we have what appears to be several very talented Edge OLB'ers waiting in the wings. Obo, Carraway, Polite, Durham & Patrick will make for some great competition to Fowler's throne. jmo.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't misunderstand me.. I like Fowler.. a lot. Just don't think the Rams can afford to pay him.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
Im on the fence with Fowler. If we keep him cool if not that's cool too. Littleton and Johnson are the ones I would like to see stay.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Boy needs to work on that sack dance though. :ROFLMAO:

Psycho_X

Legend
Just based on everyone else we have to pay I’m assuming the game plan is to get Obo experience to take over for Fowler next year while we rake in a 3rd round pick for the contract a pass rusher will warrant on the open market. I’d like to keep Fowler but it just isn’t going to be possible if we’re also expecting to pay Ramsey.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I can not afford to get down about this.....I will not :cry: over this & look on the bright side that Dante Fowler will give Snead the badly needed awarding Comprehensive draft selection in 2021. Snead has already traded away his first, fourth, & fifth picks for 2021. Its sure to be a 3rd round pick.

I do believe that he is playing in the best defense possible for him to exceed in during the game. I also believe that Aaron Donald & Brockers have rubbed off good on him.

I want DF Jr. to be a Rams forever, but we simply do not have the $$$ to make it happen with all those other large contract involved in this situation....Gurley, Cooks, Goff, Donald, Ramsey, Higbee & Havenstein. There are 2 or 3 I mentioned I would give up just to have DF Jr. That cap hit for our TE Higbee close to $9 million is embarrassing ....real hard for me to understand what's up with that.:confused::unsure:

Like @Riverumbbq said Snead has a large cadre of eight promising Edge Rushers to fill the vacancy. (y):love:

Natrez Patrick
Justin Lawler
Ogbonnia Okoronkwo
Samson Ebukam
Clay Matthews
Josh Carraway
Jachai Polite
Landis Durham

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I can not afford to get down about this.....I will not :cry: over this & look on the bright side that Dante Fowler will give Snead the badly needed awarding Comprehensive draft selection in 2021. Snead has already traded away his first, fourth, & fifth picks for 2021. Its sure to be a 3rd round pick.

I do believe that he is playing in the best defense possible for him to exceed in during the game. I also believe that Aaron Donald & Brockers have rubbed off good on him.

I want DF Jr. to be a Rams forever, but we simply do not have the $$$ to make it happen with all those other large contract involved in this situation....Gurley, Cooks, Goff, Donald, Ramsey, Higbee & Havenstein. There are 2 or 3 I mentioned I would give up just to have DF Jr. That cap hit for our TE Higbee close to $9 million is embarrassing ....real hard for me to understand what's up with that.:confused::unsure:

I won't be surprised to see Gurley's and Higbee's contracts be restructured following the 2020 season. I'm kinda looking forward to seeing what Kendall Blanton brings to the table and having 4 TE's on next years roster. Depending on the continued development of Edwards & Evans, if Hav doesn't get it together soon, he might find himself on the street. Both Fowler & Brockers should provide the Rams with two high compensation picks in 2021, so that draft may not be as bleak as you suggest. Same goes for Littleton should we also manage to lose him. jmo.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I won't be surprised to see Gurley's and Higbee's contracts be restructured following the 2020 season. I'm kinda looking forward to seeing what Kendall Blanton brings to the table and seeing 4 TE's on next years roster. Depending on the continued development of Edwards & Evans, if Hav doesn't get it together soon, he might find himself on the street. Both Fowler & Brockers should provide the Rams with two high compensation picks in 2021, so that draft may not be as bleak as you suggest. jmo.
I would expect a 3rd & 4th rd awarded comp selections for DF & MB. Unless Rams manage to go out & target your all pro RG Brandon Sherff to lead & take over for Andrew Whitworth.

Rams 2021 Draft Selections
2nd
3rd
3rd (Comp for Fowler)
4th (Comp for Brockers)
6th
7th

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I would expect a 3rd & 4th rd awarded comp selections for DF & MB. Unless Rams manage to go out & target your all pro RG Brandon Sherff to lead & take over for Andrew Whitworth.

Rams 2021 Draft Selections
2nd
3rd
3rd (Comp for Fowler)
4th (Comp for Brockers)
6th
7th

I'll assume you meant take over Blythe's position but Whitworth's higher salary along the OL.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'll assume you meant take over Blythe's position but Whitworth's higher salary along the OL.
Yes I should have been clearer. Rams OL does not have an upcoming leader @ this time to replace that leadership that Andrew Whitworth & John Sullivan provided during the two year of winning the Western Division. Rob Havenstein should have got himself prepared for this important role in 2020 but his overall performance this season would signal he is just not the OL'er for the job.

I do believe that an investment in a OL'er like Brandon Scherff would help replace much not all what was lost from the Whitworth/Sullivan departures. The Redskins have made it clear that they want to re-sign Scherff who will be the highest paid OG when he signs. Making it highly unlikely this will happen. After Scherff theirs really not much out there in UFA'cy.

Its very evident to me that resolving the OL issues will come from within not through FA'cy. Kromer will have his hands full trying to discover which of his OL'ers will be the best fit @ RG next season.

Ram65

Legend
Seems like a lot of stunting sacks and he got three sacks against the Falcons. Glad the Rams resigned him surprised at the amount. Rams need him to keep balling for the rest of the year.

dang

Legend
I will enjoy watching Fowler get better and better throughout this year. Love to have him back but that’s too far in the future to stress over. It’s a brutal business but If there is anyway to pass Higbee and Cooks to another team next year and get some cap relief that would help.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
At this point the only way I can see the Rams being able to afford Fowler is if Brandon Cooks retires due to concussion issues. Not that I am necessarily hoping Cooks does, but it is something I could see happening, and it could make Fowler viable

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Rob Havenstein should have got himself prepared for this important role in 2020 but his overall performance this season would signal he is just not the OL'er for the job.
Yeah I don't know wtf happened to Hav. He just cannot handle a speed rush at all now. I keep thinking once Goff can step up in the pocket that will change, but after rewatching the first half of our game in London I'm not so sure.

Line looked pretty damn good in pass pro first half. But Havenstein routinely allowed pressure at the throw. They're gonna need to start giving him help or move his @$$ inside.

It would not surprise me to see this line in week 10 as a matter of fact...

LT Whit
LG Edwards
C Allen
RG Hav
RT Evans

If Evans can handle that speed rush Hav would upgrade us over Blythe. Might be the solution for the remainder of this season.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I do believe that an investment in a OL'er like Brandon Scherff would help replace much not all what was lost from the Whitworth/Sullivan departures. The Redskins have made it clear that they want to re-sign Scherff who will be the highest paid OG when he signs. Making it highly unlikely this will happen. After Scherff theirs really not much out there in UFA'cy.

Quality OL seems to be the hardest position to come by. And they need the most time to gel as a group, development time, etc. Seems like we've really dug ourselves a hole.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
It's great Dante is making an impact this year. If we some how have the money to sign him, I say dont. Spend it on the best Olineman at any position.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Yeah I don't know wtf happened to Hav. He just cannot handle a speed rush at all now. I keep thinking once Goff can step up in the pocket that will change, but after rewatching the first half of our game in London I'm not so sure.

Line looked pretty damn good in pass pro first half. But Havenstein routinely allowed pressure at the throw. They're gonna need to start giving him help or move his @$$ inside.

It would not surprise me to see this line in week 10 as a matter of fact...

LT Whit
LG Edwards
C Allen
RG Hav
RT Evans

If Evans can handle that speed rush Hav would upgrade us over Blythe. Might be the solution for the remainder of this season.
He looks blobbier to me this season than last. Not to make fun of the guys appearance, but he could probably use more meat and less fat around his midsection and body in general.