Danny Trevathan's dirty hit

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I didn't know this but the NFL enacted a new rule this offseason regarding catastrophic hits, ie cheap shots, that can get players suspended. And even ejected apparently.

Well, last night in the Packers v. Bears game there was a hit that is one of the cheapest shots I've seen in a long time. This was worse than hitting a defenseless receiver, this dude was head hunting and nothing else.

Here is a link to a good article and the hit from a few angles/speeds.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/...d-use-its-new-rule-to-suspend-danny-trevathan

The rule wasn't enforced by the ref on the field in the fashion its supposed to be (ejection) and the ref should be reprimanded and written up.

I can't believe this didn't start a fight.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's the kind of hit that gives the game a bad name and has young moms not letting their kids play the game.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Good thing we have the full time refs back in control. How can you call a bunch of crap that didn't happen and not call THAT? Is the NFL on a mission of self destruction?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
rallying to the ball....unable to adjust hitting angle....but he was trying to put the man down....violently....IDK if it was "cheap"...maybe leading with his crown...but c'mon..that's football Les baby...

RAMBUSH

Starter
I dont know, full speed its hard to say he was headhunting in my opinion. Take the facemasks off , they wont lead with their face.

nighttrain

Legend
disagree, when NFL was founded way back when, it was almost banned, to many players killed wearing leather and leading with their heads.

This i looked up, players come to play
train

RedRam

Pro Bowler
I can't believe this didn't start a fight.

Yeah, me neither. I would've lost my :poop: if that happens to my teammate.

Then, later in the game the Bears run the punter and the refs thorough screwed the pooch on the call.
Trevathan and that officiating crew need some unpaid time off.:redcard::redcard:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@LACHAMP46 & @RAMBUSH Google this hit, everyone agrees it's dirty. The guy was a still target in the process of going down and he took advantage and went in head first with the crown of his helmet right to the guys facemask. He drew a bead right on his face and looked the hit in as he did it. Lowering his head at the last second to hit with the crown. He aimed at his face and didn't drop his head to hit with the crown until he knew whee to hit, he was watching as he was going down what height his face was so he could hit it.

I get it, violent game, hard hits.....I love the sport. But that is not part of the sport and has been illegal for years for a reason. And doing it in that situation and with the intent is awful of him.

@RamFan503 look at the vid again.......there are no refs in the picture........should an umpire and back judge be somewhere? There is no ref, ump or back judge in any of the shots.

Your point about making calls that aren't there then missing this is proof they need another guy on the field.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
disagree, when NFL was founded way back when, it was almost banned, to many players killed wearing leather and leading with their heads.

This i looked up, players come to play
train

I don't know about players dying but I do know the plastic helmet was invented because the leather helmets weren't working for shit.

When the helmet discussion comes up I always wonder if taking off the facemask or getting rid of the helmet is really the solution. Getting a shoulder directly to the side of the head without protection or into the face without a facemask seems like something that would happen constantly.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
@LACHAMP46 & @RAMBUSH Google this hit, everyone agrees it's dirty. The guy was a still target in the process of going down and he took advantage and went in head first with the crown of his helmet right to the guys facemask. He drew a bead right on his face and looked the hit in as he did it. Lowering his head at the last second to hit with the crown. He aimed at his face and didn't drop his head to hit with the crown until he knew whee to hit, he was watching as he was going down what height his face was so he could hit it.
i

Eyes on his striking target...and Adams wasn't "going down"....not easily...he was spinning around...I thought he was gonna break out of it...

Full speed, flying to the ball...guys still fighting for extra yards...and you expect a linebacker to pull up? Pull off that hit? I'd be curious to know what college Lavaithon went to?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
rallying to the ball....unable to adjust hitting angle....but he was trying to put the man down....violently....IDK if it was "cheap"...maybe leading with his crown...but c'mon..that's football Les baby...
Leading with the crown of the helmet is a violation of the rules. It may be one of the few I actually agree with in modern football. I don't know if he meant to do it but it sure looked like it. If you are saying he couldn't control what he did there, maybe he's not skilled enough to be playing. Regardless, a flag should have been thrown and a suspension should follow. It's a violent sport. They need to prevent head trauma from exactly this kind of hit. If it has to be in the form of an after the fact suspension, so be it. But it can't just be ignored unless they want to change the rule.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
i

Eyes on his striking target...and Adams wasn't "going down"....not easily...he was spinning around...I thought he was gonna break out of it...

Full speed, flying to the ball...guys still fighting for extra yards...and you expect a linebacker to pull up? Pull off that hit? I'd be curious to know what college Lavaithon went to?

Gotta disagree with "eyes on his striking target." his eyes are looking down. The crown of his helmet is headed right for Adams' head.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
i

You cannot lead with the crown of the helmet. There's absolutely nothing about that picture that should make anybody think that was a legal hit. I'm not calling it dirty but it's absolutely illegal.

fearsomefour

Legend
Doubt he was intending to hurt him.
Things happen quickly.
Surely a flag and probably will be suspended.
A hit like the one on Woods that drew a flag is a lot more questionable. Woods lowered his head to help create head to head contact.
No flag to me on that one.
The rules are very flawed.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
i

I don't think anyone said anything about pulling up, but the ballcarrier was going down. And he made no attempt to wrap up, he wasn't trying to tackle he was out for a kill shot.

That frame is the instant before he slammed the guys face with the crown of his helmet. Eyes straight down at the ground crown in the guys mouth. It's illegal. And in this case he went out of his way to hit the guy this way.

Dirty play.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Hit was egregious, those kinds of plays give the sport a bad name. No excuses trying to launch yourself when one defender already made the initial tackle

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Doubt he was intending to hurt him.
Things happen quickly.
Surely a flag and probably will be suspended.
A hit like the one on Woods that drew a flag is a lot more questionable. Woods lowered his head to help create head to head contact.
No flag to me on that one.
The rules are very flawed.

His actions say he intended to injure the receiver. No ifs, ands or buts, he meant to do harm to the guy, he didnt have to hit the guy in the face to put him down.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I've been a fan of Trevathan since his draft year in 2012. I wanted us to draft him. But that was absolutely a dirty hit, and he deserves a suspension and a hefty fine.