Danny Trejo and Rams football

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doVYFjIJcfU

http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angele...d-rams-football-danny-trejo-feels-whole-again

Taco trucks and Rams football: Danny Trejo feels whole again
Alden Gonzalez/ESPN Staff Writer

i

Jeff Fisher gets his meal ready as actor Danny Trejo provided lunch Wednesday to the only team he ever loved. Alden Gonzalez/ESPN.com

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Danny Trejo used to hide in the bathroom. Any bathroom, really. Back then, in the 1950s, a system of streetcars operated through central Los Angeles, so Trejo and a couple of friends used to take them from their neighborhood in Echo Park to Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.

They would arrive about an hour before kickoff for basically every Los Angeles Rams home game, then find a nearby restroom and hide in the stalls until fans made their way into the facility. Then they would watch their favorite team for free.

"Hiding from the police was a little different then," Trejo said. "There wasn’t as much violence in L.A. in the '50s. It was a pretty mellow spot. It wasn’t that hard to sneak in."

Trejo, now a 72-year-old actor who has appeared in more than 200 films, recalled those times after Rams practice earlier this week. He was seated in a common area of the team's facility at Cal Lutheran University, wearing a throwback Todd Gurley jersey he purchased "the minute the Rams came back."

Behind him was his taco truck, plainly called "Trejo's Tacos," providing lunch for the only team he ever loved. In front of him was a football, autographed by a handful of prominent players.

And it was at this point that Trejo felt utmost bliss.

"I keep pinching myself," Trejo said, then suddenly he looked up to the heavens and raised both of his arms in the air. "‘Are you taking me now, Lord?'"

i

Actor Danny Trejo shakes hands with Rams defensive lineman Dominique Easley on Wednesday. Alden Gonzalez/ESPN.com

Trejo is from the days of Norm Van Brocklin and Elroy "Crazylegs" Hirsch and "The Fearsome Foursome." His favorite player was Jack Youngblood, the Hall of Fame defensive end who spent his entire 14-year career with the Rams.

"But that was back in the day," Trejo said. "Now, we’ve got Gurley."

The Rams were a fixture in Trejo's youth, a constant amid the chaos. He was a drug addict and a delinquent who spent the 1960s in and out of maximum-security California state prisons before turning his life around, counseling others and venturing into the acting world basically by happenstance.

He quickly became a fixture as the heavily-tattooed Chicano nobody ever wanted to mess with, holding indelible roles on hit films such as "Heat," "Desperado," "From Dusk Till Dawn" and "Con Air."

That was right around the mid-1990s, when the Rams left for St. Louis.

"I stopped having a football team," Trejo said. "I didn’t root for anybody. I just worried about point spreads. I would bet on games, but I didn’t care about the team. It was all about point spreads. I didn’t even care who was playing.

And then when the Raiders came, well, they had Raider Nation, but I wasn’t that into the Raiders. But now, it’s like, I’m back. I’m back. I’ve bet on the Rams and I’ve already won."

Asked about his emotions when he found out the Rams were coming back, Trejo shook his head.

"Just joy," he said. "Just so happy. It was kind of like part of Los Angeles came back. Los Angeles is this huge puzzle, and there was always a piece missing. Our sports team. Our football team. This is a football city, you understand? This is a football city.

We’ve got UCLA, we’ve got SC. This is a football city. And then our biggest piece of the puzzle was missing. And then -- bam! -- they came back with a vengeance. We’re 3-1."

Several Rams players were elated to meet Trejo on Wednesday, many remembering him for starring in "Machete" and appearing on recent movies like "Spy Kids" and "Anchorman."

The local guys know him for his tacos, too.

Trejo's mother was a gifted cook who always dreamed of owning her own restaurant, and now Trejo is living her vision out for her. He joined a couple of producer friends, Ash Shah and Jeff Georgino, and opened up a Trejo's Tacos location on La Brea Avenue early this year to rave reviews.

A second, Trejo's Cantina, opened on the corner of Selma Avenue and Cahuenga Boulevard in October. Trejo wants to open at least a couple more in the area, then venture out to Las Vegas and San Antonio.

He also has the truck, which now stops at Rams games.

Trejo and his black taco truck were there for the home opener against the Seattle Seahawks on Sept. 18, an eventual 9-3 win that was attended by more than 91,000 fans.

"It was alive, homes," Trejo said, his eyes widening. "It was alive. I felt like I was back in 1954, when everybody loved the Rams. It was like there were no haters. I don’t think there was a Seahawks fan there. It was just an unbelievable atmosphere. Like, our team is back. That was awesome. "

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
This is awesome - i have a Trejo story
i had the pleasure of hanging with Mr. Trejo at his house with all his family while shooting a project and we got talking football for the longest time, and most of the conversation was centered around the Cowboys loss and the Rams having just beaten Denver - i was wesring my Rams hat and professed my love for the greatest team ever and thats when Mr. Trejo revealed he was a Raider fan hahhaha
So I'm thrilled two years later he's come to the light!
Maybe our conversation helped chsnge his mind!!!
GO RAMS!!!!

Here are some shots of me hanging in Machete's garage
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I saw Danny interviewed at the Home opener. He said he used to sneak into games as a kid by walking up and holding a strangers hand and acting like he was their kid and walk threw the gate he would get in Free!!!
I feel a Kin-Ship with him because we are the same exact age and grew up in L.A. Loving the Rams at the same Time! He's Cool, I like him!!(y):D

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This is awesome - i have a Trejo story
i had the pleasure of hanging with Mr. Trejo at his house with all his family while shooting a project and we got talking football for the longest time, and most of the conversation was centered around the Cowboys loss and the Rams having just beaten Denver - i was wesring my Rams hat and professed my love for the greatest team ever and thats when Mr. Trejo revealed he was a Raider fan hahhaha
So I'm thrilled two years later he's come to the light!
Maybe our conversation helped chsnge his mind!!!
GO RAMS!!!!

Here are some shots of me hanging in Machete's garage View attachment 16976View attachment 16977

Oh. That's nice!

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
thx for sharing, very cool story. great to hear something positive on ROD

ROTFLMAO :hiding: :icare::deadhorse:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This story is so cool......He even preceded my fandom, which is hard to do any more, as old bastid!

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
as actor Danny Trejo provided lunch Wednesday to the only team he ever loved.

I'm not going to mess with that vibe right there.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter