Dang. Good piece on Laurent Robinson.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
[nfl]0ap2000000133307[/nfl]
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap2000000133307/Health-of-the-Game-Robinson-s-concussion-recovery" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-t ... n-recovery</a>

By Andrea Kremer and Christine Detz, Special to NFL.com
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nflevolution.com/article/Jaguars-8217-Laurent-Robinson-worried-about-future-after-concussions?ref=4846" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nflevolution.com/article/Jag ... s?ref=4846</a>

This was supposed to be the season when Laurent Robinson became a household name.

Robinson, coming off a career year in 2011 with the Dallas Cowboys, returned to his home state of Florida by signing a five-year, $32.5 million contract with the Jacksonville Jaguars. But four concussions in a four-month period landed Robinson on injured reserve and robbed him of most of the 2012 season.

“I had great goals and I wanted to prove to everybody that I could play and be a starter from Week 1 all the way through the season and make big plays for the team,” Robinson told NFL Network. “Unfortunately in the third week of the season, I’m out with a concussion, and it just went downhill from there,”

Robinson suffered a concussion during the first week of training camp, followed by concussions in Week 3 against the Indianapolis Colts, Week 4 against the Cincinnati Bengals and Week 11 against the Houston Texans. The Jaguars placed him on IR on Nov. 21.

Recovering from a concussion is different from other injuries, according to Robinson.

“There’s no brace, no walking boot, there’s no shoulder sling,” he said. “It’s just all internal, so people don’t really understand what you’re going through. It’s headache after headache. I can’t deal with the noise, the light.”

Added Robinson’s wife, Kat: “I’m constantly worried. If he has a headache, I’m worried. Why does he have a headache? If he’s tired, why is he tired? I’m trying to understand it, but at the same time, I’m worried everyday that it’s going to affect our future.”

[nfl]0ap2000000133960[/nfl]
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap2000000133960/Health-of-the-Game-Laurent-Robinson-s-recovery" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0a ... s-recovery</a>

Laurent is determined to do whatever he can to get back on the field. He and his wife are exploring different treatment options, including hyperbaric chamber sessions and resistance flexibility training.

Kat supports Laurent’s decision to play football again once he is medically cleared, but she said she won’t fully have peace of mind until he retires.

“The players know when they sign up for this in the NFL that they’re susceptible to getting injuries,” Laurent said. “I don’t know if it’s worth it or not. I’ve been playing for six years and I want to continue to play, but I still want to live until I’m 80, 90 years old.”

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
Those concussions are a dangerous thing, he needs to seriously consider retirement if he indeed gets another one. This is why I was very ok with Marc Bulger retiring when he did. That guy took a beating for this team when the OLine (and WRs) collapsed and disappeared. Bulger said he had countless concussions. I remember specifically counting 7 (maybe 8).

On a side note. I was big Laurent Robinson fan when he came out of college. He bursted on the scene and did some great things in his rookie season in Atlanta. So two years later when he was traded to St. Louis I was pretty ecstatic because I liked his game and thought he could turn into something special. 2009 came and Laurent had a terrific pre-season, then had a great start to the regular season. Looking like he was going to be Bulger's primary target. Packers game in week 3 comes, and Laurent had a great start to the game making a couple tough grabs on Al Harris. Then on a running play one of our Olineman rolls right on his leg and Laurent tears his ACL. Unfortunate.

2010 comes and Robinson is ahead of schedule on his rehab and is ready to play in training camp. Seeing this I assumed that we would be getting the same Robinson we saw in a few doses the previous year. I thought Robinson had the ability to be Sam's starting WR for years to come. Unfortunately while Robinson still had his fast straight line speed, it was evident that his quickness in routes and power in his lower legs (for getting off the jam) was not 100% back. Robinson never really seemed on the same page as Sam too, in addition to being in a offense that did not fit his skill set. Robinson started 14 games and had a very disappointing season. I was very down because he just did not pan out to what I expected that season.

I knew he was as good as gone the next year, and I was fine with it. Things just did not work. Well Robinson plays very well as a Charger in a few pre-season games in 2011, which got him a spot on the Cowboys roster. Robinson appeared to have found an offense he fit (more down the field type, as apposed to the M(Sh)urmur offense smh), as well as gaining more strength in his once injured leg. Playing in a spot starter role, 3rd WR for Romo (not slot) Robinson did terrific and I did not feel any animosity, in fact I was happy for the guy. Pissed he didn't work out here, but happy that he had the game that I thought he did.

I noticed in Dallas that Robinson may not be 55 snap per game starting material, but as a 3rd WR (again not slot) as first backup flanker. Yes I do think Jax overpayed for him because at best he a #2 WR, but in his best role he is a #3 target.

Like the Randy McMichael story with the Rams, I was disappointed how Robinson's tenure with the Rams ended, because I personally expected more. I expected a 850-1000 yard WR for a couple years. And while he will never be that guy, I think in the right situation he can get similar stats to what he got in Dallas. 650-800 yards. Watching him the past 4 years I notice his skill set is that he does not exactly excel in anything, but he can do just about everything well.

I guess the point in all this write up BS is that I have no hard feelings for the guy for what happened in STL. I liked and still do like Laurent Robinson. Hope he can overcome the concussions and have success in Jax.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
biggame1190 said:
I guess the point in all this write up BS is that I have no hard feelings for the guy for what happened in STL. I liked and still do like Laurent Robinson. Hope he can overcome the concussions and have success in Jax.

Reading what you wrote. I'm right there with you.

And... that many concussions in such a short period is scary. Obviously, his brain didn't completely heal from the preseason concussion.

iced

This hit home to me. I had a mild TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) about 2 years ago. I can relate to a lot of stuff he goes through, especially lights. I've been out with a buddy at one of my favorite clubs/bars shootin' pools when I get a glimpse of a strobe light and the next thing I know, I'm getting dizzy about and to faint.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
iced said:
This hit home to me. I had a mild TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) about 2 years ago. I can relate to a lot of stuff he goes through, especially lights. I've been out with a buddy at one of my favorite clubs/bars shootin' pools when I get a glimpse of a strobe light and the next thing I know, I'm getting dizzy about and to faint.
Sorry to hear that. I've gotta deal with that too from time to time as well after being T-boned and hospitalized back in 1995. Everything kinda changed after that. I get vertigo, migraines, motion sickness, all kinds of happy horse shit. If I even watch my son play a 1st-person shooter game, I feel like I'm gonna vomit.

bluecoconuts

Legend
iced said:

Feel your pain brother, it really sucks. Has ruined more than one movie for me as well. Went to Vegas for a friends birthday and couldn't do much because noise and lights were too much. Not fun, and they can last for years.