Dan Marino wouldn’t trade the Hall of Fame for a Super Bowl ring

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...trade-the-hall-of-fame-for-a-super-bowl-ring/

Dan Marino wouldn’t trade the Hall of Fame for a Super Bowl ring
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 25, 2015

marino.jpg
Getty Images

Dan Marino is on the short list of the greatest players never to win a championship, and he’s just fine with that.

Appearing at a Pro Football Hall of Fame function on Friday, Marino was asked whether he would trade the gold jacket that comes with Hall of Fame induction for a Super Bowl ring. Marino’s one-word answer: “No.”

Enshrinement in Canton represents the greatest individual achievement a pro football player can aspire to, and Marino isn’t just in Canton, but he’s even among the elite in the Hall of Fame, an easy choice as a first-ballot Hall of Famer.

And yet a Super Bowl ring is what every player is playing for every year, and although this is probably unfair, virtually every story about Marino’s career mentions the absence of a ring.

Marino’s comments are reminiscent of a story from a couple years ago, when LaDainian Tomlinson said he’d take the Hall of Fame over a Super Bowl ring, while Tedy Bruschi shot back that a ring is the greater accomplishment. Tomlinson, of course, never got a ring but will likely get to the Hall of Fame, while Bruschi isn’t going to Canton but does have three Super Bowl rings.

Marino’s comments may be an accurate representation of the status of enshrinement in Canton as the greatest achievement for a football player. Or they may just be an attempt to look on the bright side on the one count where Marino’s career fell short.

Which symbolizes a greater achievement?

A Hall of Fame gold jacket - 80.67% (4,674 votes)

A Super Bowl ring - 19.33% (1,120 votes)

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
No wonder why he was such a fucking loser. You think Elway would trade the Hall for a few more Super Bowl rings? You think that even Fran fucking Tarkenton would trade the Hall for just one?

Marino is a fucking disgrace to anyone who wants to win.

SierraRam

Recreational User
How many good, average & below average players have rings? Hundreds

How many are in the HOF? 1 - Joe Namath

Besides, Dan can pick up a ring from a fromer 49er anytime on Craig's list

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Dan Marino had a hall of fame career while shooting the series Night Rider. How many QB's can add that to their resume?

Knight_Rider.jpg

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
It's funny how people judge how good a QB is by the number of rings he has. By those standards, Dan Marino isn't a good QB then.

Memento

Name
Jemma
It's funny how people judge how good a QB is by the number of rings he has. By those standards, Dan Marino isn't a good QB then.

I think that Marino is most definitely a great quarterback. He is not, however, a winner. Ultimately, who's going to remember Marino's accomplishments aside from Dolphins fans? Will they even care as much about his accomplishments rather than their perfect season? I doubt it. He was surpassed in everything by Peyton Manning and Brett Favre, both of whom actually won it all.

Again, he's a great quarterback. Just not one that I'd pick for a Super Bowl winning team.

V3

Hall of Fame
Have to agree with Marino. Team sports are dependant on the other players so not having a ring doesn't really mean much. Is Barry Sanders any less of a RB because he didn't get a ring? No. He was one of the best of all time. You don't need rings to prove your greatness. You do need to be great to get into the HOF, though.

So yeah, I'd rather be one of the best players of all time and be remembered forever than get a ring simply because the rest of my team was great. Dilfer has a SB ring, for crying out loud. A SB ring doesn't mean nearly as much as a gold jacket and bust.

V3

Hall of Fame
I think that Marino is most definitely a great quarterback. He is not, however, a winner. Ultimately, who's going to remember Marino's accomplishments aside from Dolphins fans? Will they even care as much about his accomplishments rather than their perfect season? I doubt it. He was surpassed in everything by Peyton Manning and Brett Favre, both of whom actually won it all.

Again, he's a great quarterback. Just not one that I'd pick for a Super Bowl winning team.
Umm, everyone will remember his accomplishments. He's a legend of the sport. He'll be remembered forever. How many people will remember that Joe Germaine has a SB ring?

Memento

Name
Jemma
Have to agree with Marino. Team sports are dependant on the other players so not having a ring doesn't really mean much. Is Barry Sanders any less of a RB because he didn't get a ring? No. He was one of the best of all time. You don't need rings to prove your greatness. You do need to be great to get into the HOF, though.

So yeah, I'd rather be one of the best players of all time and be remembered forever than get a ring simply because the rest of my team was great. Dilfer has a SB ring, for crying out loud. A SB ring doesn't mean nearly as much as a gold jacket and bust.

That's not the point. You play to win the game. You ask Sanders what he would've rather had over individual accomplishments, and he'd say a ring. No doubt in my mind. Gonzalez and Jackson? They've got a chance at the Hall (I mean, if Jerome fucking Bettis can get in, why not Steven Jackson?), and I bet you that they would've both rather had the rings.

That's what I respect in a player. I don't care if they're a Hall of Famer or not, so long as they have the drive for a Super Bowl. Isn't that what people are supposed to strive for in team sports? Winning the whole damned thing? You can be a first-ballot Hall of Famer like Marino, but the second he said that he'll keep the bust and fuck the ring is the second I lost most of my respect for him. Again, what a loser.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Umm, everyone will remember his accomplishments. He's a legend of the sport. He'll be remembered forever. How many people will remember that Joe Germaine has a SB ring?

By his fans and historians. The only footnote he'll have is being the third guy behind Manning and Favre. Again, you think that most Dolphins fans care more about Marino than their perfect Super Bowl winning season?

V3

Hall of Fame
That's not the point. You play to win the game. You ask Sanders what he would've rather had over individual accomplishments, and he'd say a ring. No doubt in my mind. Gonzalez and Jackson? They've got a chance at the Hall (I mean, if Jerome freaking Bettis can get in, why not Steven Jackson?), and I bet you that they would've both rather had the rings.

That's what I respect in a player. I don't care if they're a Hall of Famer or not, so long as they have the drive for a Super Bowl. Isn't that what people are supposed to strive for in team sports? Winning the whole damned thing? You can be a first-ballot Hall of Famer like Marino, but the second he said that he'll keep the bust and freak the ring is the second I lost most of my respect for him. Again, what a loser.
You play to win but you also play to try and be one of the best. It's a LOT harder to be one of the best than to get a SB ring. Not having a ring doesn't make Marino any less of a player. Football is too team oriented for me to care about rings of a single player. Other players can ruin a chance at a SB ring. If Mike Jones hadn't made that tackle in the SB and they went on to lose the SB, Warner and Faulk would have never won a SB ring. They're still the same players, IMO, regardless of the ring.

If you look at the two options: winning a SB or being one of the best, being one of the best is by far more prestigious. You obviously want both but if you can't have both, you take the one that's harder to do. That's how I look at it, at least.

Memento

Name
Jemma
You play to win but you also play to try and be one of the best. It's a LOT harder to be one of the best than to get a SB ring. Not having a ring doesn't make Marino any less of a player. Football is too team oriented for me to care about rings of a single player. Other players can ruin a chance at a SB ring. If Mike Jones hadn't made that tackle in the SB and they went on to lose the SB, Warner and Faulk would have never won a SB ring. They're still the same players, IMO, regardless of the ring.

If you look at the two options: winning a SB or being one of the best, being one of the best is by far more prestigious. You obviously want both but if you can't have both, you take the one that's harder to do. That's how I look at it, at least.

And if the Patriots hadn't blatantly cheated their way to four Super Bowls, Tom Brady would have never won a ring, and Warner, Faulk, Bruce, Holt, and Pace would have had two, as they rightfully deserved. Lot of ways you can use if. Regardless, that's what happened.

When I played team sports (basketball in high school), I didn't care about starting or having individual accolades. I wanted to win. I felt like shit if I lost. I felt like I won the lottery when I won. It was all about the adrenaline rush for me.

I understand that I wasn't the greatest, and I know that I don't speak for every player, but I just can't fathom the thought of taking individual accolades over winning a championship.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Find it funny how some of the posters here want to talk a lot of shit on a guy who practically said something harmless but for some reason responds as though he insulted your mother. The guy has a personal preference, I couldn't careless what he says.

Memphis Ram

Legend

Best NFL QB that I've ever seen. I'll remember and I'm not a Dolphins fan.

It's still a team sport and Marino hasn't had the same talent surrounding him as many others who have won Super Bowl rings with their teams.

lockdnram21

Legend
By his fans and historians. The only footnote he'll have is being the third guy behind Manning and Favre. Again, you think that most Dolphins fans care more about Marino than their perfect Super Bowl winning season?
im taking Marino over both of them. Nfl is a team game they both had better teams aroundthem.