Daily Dose: Who is the Rams’ most dangerous new weapon?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://www.therams.com/news/daily-dose-who-is-the-rams-most-dangerous-new-weapon

Daily Dose: Who is the Rams’ most dangerous new weapon?

Myles Simmons
Monday, May 27, 2019 09:30 AM

Each weekday, theRams.com will be taking a look around the internet for the top Rams headlines of the day. Here’s a look at what’s out there for Monday, May 27 about your Los Angeles Rams.
PREDICTING THE STORY OF THE SEASON

We’re still a few months away from the Rams taking on the Panthers to kick off the 2019 campaign, but ESPN’s NFL Nation reporters have given a prediction for thaw the story of the season will be for each of the league’s 32 teams.

For some teams, that question is about quarterbacks or new head coaches — how will they respond to their circumstance?

But for the Rams, reporter Lindsey Thiry boils it down to one question: Will the Rams return to the Super Bowl?

“The Rams must regroup as they go into the 2019 season and put their disappointing 13-3 Super Bowl loss to the Patriots behind them,” Thiry writes. “Their roster had some turnover at key positions, including two spots on the offensive line, but quarterback Jared Goff is more comfortable going into Year 3 of coach Sean McVay's scheme.”

WHO’S THE MOST DANGEROUS NEW WEAPON?

The Rams made a number of roster moves in both free agency and the NFL Draft to re-up the roster for a run at Super Bowl LIV. According to Bleacher Report’s Maurice Moton, of all the acquisitions, safety Taylor Rapp is Los Angeles’ most dangerous new weapon.

The criteria?

“The selections feature players who have versatile skill sets or display top-notch abilities in a specific area of their games.”

Here’s what Moton had to say specifically about Rapp:

“Rapp's versatility will allow him to see the field early in his career. … In all three of his seasons at Washington, Rapp logged at least 51 combined tackles. The coaching staff could utilize him as a small linebacker in nickel or dime sub-packages, but wherever Rapp lines up, he's capable of making a play.”

LONG LOCKDOWN

Speaking of new and dangerous weapons, the Rams selected Michigan cornerback David Long in the third round of the NFL Draft. And according to Pro Football Focus, Long had the lowest completion percentage allowed of any 2019 selection.

No CB in this past draft class allowed a lower completion percentage on targets than Rams CB David Long pic.twitter.com/YouD7JmRAx

— Pro Football Focus (@PFF) May 27, 2019

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It’s hard to choose but I think it could be Henderson. The man is downright explosive. He brings a different element that McVay can exploit. Henderson is lightning to Gurley’s/Brown’s thunder. Don’t forget, he can catch too. I can’t wait to see how McVay draws this all up. Especially adding Kupp back into the mix.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It’s hard to choose but I think it could be Henderson. .

Great avatar BTW....The other point with Henderson is the Jet Sweeps I expect many by him as I don't think Cooper Kupp will be running anymore of them. Again in the Super Bowl Belichick took many things away, but Mcvay did not have an option like Henderson and that should add more diversity to the offense and hopefully lesson the load to keep Guley fresh for post season.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Great avatar BTW....The other point with Henderson is the Jet Sweeps I expect many by him as I don't think Cooper Kupp will be running anymore of them. Again in the Super Bowl Belichick took many things away, but Mcvay did not have an option like Henderson and that should add more diversity to the offense and hopefully lesson the load to keep Guley fresh for post season.
Thank you on my avatar. That was me in the late 70s. You make a good point. I think McVay took some notes in the SB that will help us this year. I hope we find a way back to the big dance.

fearsomefour

Legend
I think Long and Gaines will see the field right away.
Rapp will work his way into certain sets as the season progresses.
If Henderson is a big contributor it means Todd is not healthy. I think Henderson will contribute no matter what but there's a big difference between 5 touches and 15 + touches a game.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Tough call at this point.

If Gaines is a starter, how is he not the most impactful?

Henderson is literally a threat to score every time he touches the ball. And he’s gonna get a lot of touches, I think.

Or what if one of Evans or Edwards beats out Blythe for starting RG? Same question.

Still, I see lots of snaps for both Rapp and Long in packages and both are capable of making big plays.

Man, I’m loving this draft.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Yep! Born in ’68. We could’ve been brothers.
Fallon-Batch-2-Photo-1.jpeg

Ram65

Legend
Looks like the Rams will have more than one dangerous new weapon. What about Mathews and Weddle? Since this becoming an older guy thread!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It’s hard to choose but I think it could be Henderson. The man is downright explosive. He brings a different element that McVay can exploit. Henderson is lightning to Gurley’s/Brown’s thunder. Don’t forget, he can catch too. I can’t wait to see how McVay draws this all up. Especially adding Kupp back into the mix.

Agreed. He is such a great fit teams are going to fear him. There won't be any relaxing when TG comes off.

Also defensively Rapp isn't really in the running. IMO the list is Matthews, Fowler, Weddle, etc. Rapp should see up to half the snaps and is in year one of a flexible scheme.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
I’ve got to go with Gaines for a few different reasons. First, Gaines is going to come with way more effort than Suh ever did during the regular season. Second, Gaines actually enjoys being doubled teamed, meaning he won’t ever give up on the play. Third, because he’s willing to take on double teams he’s the perfect type of player to line up next to Donald. Fourth, Donald is frustrated and hungry after that Super Bowl loss, plus he now has an entire off season to prepare to seek his vengeance. And who will benefit the most from that. Gaines, Fowler, and Matthews.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree that Gaines is the most dangerous new weapon. He won't be spectacular, but he should take up a lot of space on the line allowing the other weapons to be more productive - and most importantly, by soaking up so much space and actually not freelancing he should make a big difference for the Rams' atrocious yards per rush given up. That will create more 2nd and 3rd and longs, to allow the Rams to get to the QB even more often.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam

Totally Agree! Henderson looks like a Legitimate TD Threat every time he touches the ball!!!

nighttrain

Legend
I agree that Gaines is the most dangerous new weapon. He won't be spectacular, but he WILL take up a lot of space on the line allowing the other weapons to be more productive - and most importantly, by soaking up so much space and actually not freelancing he should make a big difference for the Rams' atrocious yards per rush given up. That will create more 2nd and 3rd and longs, to allow the Rams to get to the QB even more often.

dang

Legend
Totally Agree! Henderson looks like a Legitimate TD Threat every time he touches the ball!!!
That would be great but I am tempering my enthusiasm as I look at the level of competition Henderson played against in college. Not exactly NFL caliber. At the least he is another tool in the tool belt.