Daily Dose: Rams free agency and breakout player predictions for 2020

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Daily Dose: Rams free agency and breakout player predictions for 2020

Throughout the offseason, theRams.com will be taking a look around the internet for the top Rams headlines of the day. Here's a look at what's out there for Thursday, February 6 about your Los Angeles Rams.

EYE ON EBUKAM

Late last month, Bleacher Report's Kristopher Knox was tasked with naming each NFL team's biggest potential breakout player for 2020.

For the Rams, Knox chose outside linebacker Samson Ebukam, given key members of the team's front seven who are pending free agents.

"Entering a contract year, Ebukam will have a chance to be one of L.A.'s most important defenders," Knox wrote.
"The reason? The Rams could be on the verge of losing key defenders in linebacker Cory Littleton, defensive tackle Michael Brockers and edge-rusher Dante Fowler Jr."

Click here to read the rest of Knox's explanation as well as his pick for the other 31 teams.

BLEACHER REPORT'S BOLD FREE AGENCY PREDICTION FOR RAMS

Knox also compiled bold free agency predictions for each of the NFL's 32 teams.

His take for the Rams: signing free agent offensive guard Brandon Scherff.

"Since being drafted by the Washington Redskins in 2015, he has gone on to become one of the league's best interior lineman," Knox wrote. "A three-time Pro Bowler, he would be a phenomenal add."

Click here to read Knox's full breakdown.

WAY TOO EARLY POWER RANKINGS: WHERE DO RAMS LAND?

ESPN asked its NFL Nation reporters to put together a way-too-early edition of 2020 power rankings with a reason for optimism for each team they covered.
The Rams came in at No. 13, and reporter Lindsey Thiry wrote Sean McVay's willingness to adapt as reason for optimism for Los Angeles.

ESPN's full rankings can be viewed here.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams biggest potential breakout player for 2020:

I have no doubht that Samson Ebukam will secure one of the Edge Rusher posts in 2020 & he certainly will have the opportunity to shine going into his 4th season with new DC Brandon Staley but I also believe in safety JJ III.

John Johnson III had a very short 2019 season after an injury took him out & placed him in surgery & the IR. With the announcement of the retirement of veteran starting deep safety Eric Weddle a few days ago it will clear the way for JJ III to move into this open post.

JJ III who in his 3 season with the Rams has principally played the role known as strong safety post even though former DC Wade uses his safeties an interchangeable pieces. I expect that the 2019 top draft selection Taylor Rams to play the safety post closer to the LOS.

We have seen some flashes from JJ III the last 3 season of his athleticism and ball skills. His diagnosing seems to be at its best when he can do so from the free safety role. We know he has the soft hands to finish at the catch-point against receivers.

I truly expect JJ III to have a major breakout role in this dynamic Ram secondary. When you review what the Rams secondary for this upcoming season it is by far the strongest unit on this Ram team. Giving JJ III his real first opportunity to play the position that best fits his talents & skills.

CB-Ramsey/ Alexander
CB-Hill/ Williams
NK- NRC/ Long
SS-Rapp/ Gervase
FS- JJ III/ Scott

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
On defense I look for both safeties Johnson and Rapp along with Obo to break out this year.

On Offense im going with Henderson and Everett.

I also think Corbett and Edward's show noticeable progress from last year.

This could be more hope than prediction but you never know!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Edwards is my huckleberry for breakout player. I really think he's gonna be something.

Another great choice would be Rapp. Who was already a fine player in his rookie year but he should be a lot better in zone next season.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm picking Henderson on offense and David Long and Travin Howard on defense. I'm betting that NRC isn't on the team by the time the draft is over, and I'm picking Long to succeed him at nickel. Brown, I think, has lost his spot with all of the injuries, and Henderson should break out with a better O-line.

As for Howard, I think he takes Littleton's spot at inside linebacker/coverage linebacker and runs with it.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Some might say Higbee had his breakout in the second half of last season, I think it's just a beginning and he establishes himself as a 1000 yard per season receiver. If the Rams solidify that creaky OL & Havenstein comes back in shape, I look to Henderson having a break-out type season.

On defense, I think one of our depth OLB'ers is going to help make us forget Fowler, whether it's Obo, Polite, Durham or Carraway, I just can't say yet. I believe our defensive backfield will be top 5 if everyone remains healthy.
jmo.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Some might say Higbee had his breakout in the second half of last season, I think it's just a beginning and he establishes himself as a 1000 yard per season receiver. If the Rams solidify that creaky OL & Havenstein comes back in shape, I look to Henderson having a break-out type season.

On defense, I think one of our depth OLB'ers is going to help make us forget Fowler, whether it's Obo, Polite, Durham or Holland, I just can't say yet. I believe our defensive backfield will be top 5 if everyone remains healthy.
jmo.

Fixed.

Carraway's coming off of an ACL, and he's older than the others, so I don't expect him to make the team. Durham apparently has an injury problem, but he's only twenty-two, so I expect him to make the practice squad. Okoronkwo, Polite, and Holland, though...they're interesting. I expect all three to make the roster. Just a hunch.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Fixed.

Carraway's coming off of an ACL, and he's older than the others, so I don't expect him to make the team. Durham apparently has an injury problem, but he's only twenty-two, so I expect him to make the practice squad. Okoronkwo, Polite, and Holland, though...they're interesting. I expect all three to make the roster. Just a hunch.

I'm not going to dismiss Carraway as I liked what I observed of him during the pre-season, i'll hope he and Durham make a full recovery and that both return healthy.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
On defense I look for both safeties Johnson and Rapp along with Obo to break out this year.

On Offense im going with Henderson and Everett.

I also think Corbett and Edward's show noticeable progress from last year.

This could be more hope than prediction but you never know!

What Free Agent do you like out there ??

I think Gervase is more of a FS ??

This DL from Denver Derek Wolfe could be a nice FA signing. I think The D’front interior is key.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Edwards is my huckleberry for breakout player. I really think he's gonna be something.

Another great choice would be Rapp. Who was already a fine player in his rookie year but he should be a lot better in zone next season.

So you really like him at Guard ?? I actually think he could be The Rams best option at RT. He had to learn the guard spot on the fly, but has always played Tackle.

Rapp is a guy I really don’t like. I do see his talent, but chewing gum in a interview really makes me think he is not the smartest guy. He got burned so many times as well last season. -Dumb mistakes. Just my opinion?? So his upside should be there, he is 22 so agree !!

Polite is a guy I find interesting.

David Long is a young guy at 21, think he has a lot of growth.

Edwards & Evans both being only 22 as well as Brewer is impressive the way they handled themselves & the experience they received. Compared to Noteboom & Allen I think The Rams are in a better spot upfront than last season at this time.

Last edited:

dang

Legend
I don’t see bringing back Brockers, Fowler or Littleton unless they sign at less than FA will bring them. I do see The Rams and Whit/Greg Z coming to terms. With that said I want an OC or OG FA to strengthen the interior OL. Someone like Garland at OC seems like a nice add. On defense we need a run stopping ILB and a stud NT. Van Noy at ILB and Jordan Phillips at NT would be nice. Not sure this is in line with what the Rams have planned but it would strengthen some weaknesses IMO.