D faking injury to slow offense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

V3

Hall of Fame
I'm sorry, the Redskins were faking it just like the Giants did to us a year or two ago. The whole reason for Chip Kelly's style of offense is to wear the D down. If they're going to be allowed to just fake a muscle cramp whenever they want then what's the point of Kelly's system. It's BS.

I think a solution could be that if you claim you have an injury, you have to sit out the rest of the entire series- not just one play. It's pretty hard to prove someone is faking so just say it's to protect the player who claims they're injured.

Does anyone else have any suggestions on how to combat the faking? I have a feeling the Eagles are going to be seeing a lot of "injuries" this year.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Good question V.

Its hard to prove a fake. So, your suggestion makes sense.

Shanahan is a fake kind of coach... his silly games on the injury report prove that.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
I have a solution. If a defensive player goes down during an uptempo offensive series, the defense can replace that player, but no one else. Doesn't keep the game moving, but it does prevent the defense from making multiple substitutions--which is the real reason for the fake injuries.

In this way, the refs don't ever have to decide whether an injury is fake or not. It's a simple substitution rule.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Ram Quixote said:
I have a solution. If a defensive player goes down during an uptempo offensive series, the defense can replace that player, but no one else. Doesn't keep the game moving, but it does prevent the defense from making multiple substitutions--which is the real reason for the fake injuries.

In this way, the refs don't ever have to decide whether an injury is fake or not. It's a simple substitution rule.

Player should also have to sit out the remainder of the series.

If it's a very obvious offense (like when they did it against us) refs should asses a penalty, similar in hockey.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
bluecoconuts said:
Ram Quixote said:

Player should also have to sit out the remainder of the series.

If it's a very obvious offense (like when they did it against us) refs should asses a penalty, similar in hockey.
Never gonna happen. The league is too safety conscious right now. My way, that player who faked to slow down the offense doesn't get back in for several plays anyway. And remember, it's not always about slowing down the offense; the defense wants to swap out a bunch of players, not one.

iced

sit out whole series? won't work. what if your QB gets the wind knocked out of him and only misses a play? remember the stafford thing 2 years ago, where he separated his shoulder at the end of the game but because they called timeout, he went back in and threw the td to win the game...yea that's exactly why that won't happen.

heavy fines and suspensions are the only thing that will get their attention

V3

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
iced said:
sit out whole series? won't work. what if your QB gets the wind knocked out of him and only misses a play? remember the stafford thing 2 years ago, where he separated his shoulder at the end of the game but because they called timeout, he went back in and threw the td to win the game...yea that's exactly why that won't happen.

heavy fines and suspensions are the only thing that will get their attention

I'm only talking about the defense. Defenses are the ones that are more likely to fake an injury so it only applies to them.

The thing that won't happen are fines and suspensions. There no way to prove if it was real or fake. The players union won't allow suspensions or fines without proof.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
V3 said:
I'm sorry, the Redskins were faking it just like the Giants did to us a year or two ago. The whole reason for Chip Kelly's style of offense is to wear the D down. If they're going to be allowed to just fake a muscle cramp whenever they want then what's the point of Kelly's system. It's BS.

I think a solution could be that if you claim you have an injury, you have to sit out the rest of the entire series- not just one play. It's pretty hard to prove someone is faking so just say it's to protect the player who claims they're injured.

Does anyone else have any suggestions on how to combat the faking? I have a feeling the Eagles are going to be seeing a lot of "injuries" this year.

Some were saying yesterday the Giants were doing it Sunday against the Cowboys too.

Did we give up a timeout to send Long back in the game Sunday ? Cuz I thought he had to come out there or call one, kinda get lost sometimes Alzheimer's ya know.

Don't really have a solution fer ya man ,kinda a "damned if ya do pay me later" thing there.
The league CAN'T be seen to be asking players to keep playing if they are hurt and the additional scrutiny of watching so a player stays out for a whole series, maybe till the next first down.

This brings up something I've been sittin on for a while, in states where they have snow skiing, the inherent risks of the sport are considered by law to be NOT the fault nor responsibility of the ski resorts,I think the league needs some legislation enacted to keep lawyers from bleeding it dry.
Maybe ,if they went to all the state legislatures and just said, "hey give us protection or we have to move".
I know the Jr. S thing was a friggin tragedy and all, but at some point we gotta say ,"c'mon man you KNEW you were scramblin your brains,you lived large, don't blame us cuz you took this path,there was no gun to your head".