Cusumano: Bumping into Spagnuolo on the elevator

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
[5]2638891816001[/5]

(KSDK Sport) -- In today's "Frankly Speaking Show" Frank Cusumano discusses this weekend's Cards series with the Pirates as well bumping into former Rams head coach Steve Spagnuolo in an elevator Thursday night.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.ksdk.com/sports/pro_football/article/395627/30/Cusumano--Bumping-into-Spagnuolo-on-the-elevator" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.ksdk.com/sports/pro_football ... e-elevator</a>

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Selassie I said:
I KNEW IT!

I thought, as I was posting this, "George is gonna be the first one to comment on this, and it won't be pleasant." lol. And the gods even kept everyone else from posting until you got around to reading it, just to fulfill my prophecy.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Did not speak to Spags he saw him from the elevator and just waved, but talked about how bad it went in St. Louis & then New Orleans. Nothing to see here IMO Spagnuolo will come back most likely after the Chiefs implode on defense under Bob Sutton then Spagnuolo will be reunited with Andy Reid in Kansas City.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
den-the-coach said:
Did not speak to Spags he saw him from the elevator and just waved, but talked about how bad it went in St. Louis & then New Orleans. Nothing to see here IMO Spagnuolo will come back most likely after the Chiefs implode on defense under Bob Sutton then Spagnuolo will be reunited with Andy Reid in Kansas City.
I have absolutely nothing bad to say about Spagnuolo. He was in a situation here that a few high-profile people said (after the fact) was a no-win proposition. And then he goes to New Orleans to try and install a COMPLETELY new defense with several suspended players and a suspended head coach. Both attempts to turn things around could not have come at a worse time for him. Does that mean that under difference circumstances (like Les and Jeff's gorgeous opportunity) he could have done better? I don't have the answer to that. I do know it wouldn't have been as bad though.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
I had no problem with Spagz either. As X stated, out of the frying pan and into the fire. He did make some decisions about our D that were head scratchers to me and I think he was over hyped as a DC after the Giants (thank you Buddha!) beat the Cheatriots. I think he's a good DC and a less than stellar HC.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
X said:
Selassie I said:
I KNEW IT!

I thought, as I was posting this, "George is gonna be the first one to comment on this, and it won't be pleasant." lol. And the gods even kept everyone else from posting until you got around to reading it, just to fulfill my prophecy.

That's funny. Believe me, I withheld all of the things that my fingers wanted to type.

I do my best to block those days out of my thoughts. I won't ever be able to forget unfortunately. My self imposed therapy is doing my best to refuse to relive it by not talking about it. I will go ahead and admit it... I'm scared for life... but I'm doing my best to move forward :boing:

As a side note... I couldn't help but wonder how I would react if I were to ever step into an elevator and find it was just me and him in there. I'll just say that several scenarios went through my head. None of them mature.

V3

Hall of Fame
I thought it was a gossip piece by Frank. Nothing more than Frank wanting to trash talk Spags. Who the hell cares if Frank saw him in an elevator? Why even bring up the past? Frank's a tool, IMO.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
V3 said:
I thought it was a gossip piece by Frank. Nothing more than Frank wanting to trash talk Spags. Who the hell cares if Frank saw him in an elevator? Why even bring up the past? Frank's a tool, IMO.
Pretty much. And if he was a man, he would go ahead and express his displeasure in person.

fearsomefour

Legend
I think I would have asked him for $40 to replace the remote that learned how to fly after Peterson ran that punt back to lose the Cardinals game....then punched him in the pussy.

But, you know, Im sure hes a good guy.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
fearsomefour said:
I think I would have asked him for $40 to replace the remote that learned how to fly after Peterson ran that punt back to lose the Cardinals game....
Donnie Jones was told to punt that out of bounds, but shanked it straight. :lol:

And if we win that game, then what does our draft position look like at the end of the year? Do the Vikings get the #2 spot? I honestly don't know without looking at the conference records. Thank God for small favors if we needed to lose that one.

fearsomefour

Legend
Come on X dont use logic and reason!!
Those Spags years were so bad. You are correct of course that his hands were tied with many things. That game was just so inexcusably bad....maybe Jones was supposed to kick out of bounds and blew it, certainly possible. But, I dont want to hear it. Sometimes you just wanna yell at the waiter when the chef messes up.
I guess it is all in the process of working out.

That seriously was one of the worst losses in a decade that saw many bad losses. I dont think I would have allowed Spags to fly back with the team after that if I were the owner....one of many reasons I would be a bad owner.

But, ever forward....

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
fearsomefour said:
Sometimes you just wanna yell at the waiter when the chef messes up.
I guess it is all in the process of working out.
Great analogy, my man. I can totally relate.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Worst thing that happened to Spags was almost winning the division in 2010 with 7 wins. Changed The perception of the team and cause the team to switch from development to win now.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Yamahopper said:
Worst thing that happened to Spags was almost winning the division in 2010 with 7 wins. Changed The perception of the team and cause the team to switch from development to win now.

Yep, and I think the inexperience of the staff really hurt there. An experienced coach and staff (like Fisher) would have kept things a little more in check, and kept to the plan.. Which is really what Fisher has done in his first year. Spags completely changed things and tried to get aging vets instead of developing his young players.

Although I don't think it would have helped that much, ultimately the drafting was better than before but nowhere near as good as it needed to be in order for the Rams to be a sustainable good team. However it could have easily gotten him another year.