Curiosity made me do it. Gerald Everett and the H-back

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
We've all seen, heard, and witnessed that when Everett has the ball in his hands he looks like a running back.

Let's see him in that H-back role a little bit. Having a threat of Everett, Gurley, and Tavon with the sweep.

I really can't imagine how teams could plan for an attack like that, then you add in play action.

I've always loved play design with sports and my mind is going crazy with ways you could deploy this group of players as run options.

This kind of started with rewatching the Everett TD a few times. Not only does he do a great job of securing that shovel pass, but then he gets his head down, and finds the hole.

What do you guys think? Sean are you reading? How about you Kromer? Lafluer?

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
We've all seen, heard, and witnessed that when Everett has the ball in his hands he looks like a running back.

Let's see him in that H-back role a little bit. Having a threat of Everett, Gurley, and Tavon with the sweep.

I really can't imagine how teams could plan for an attack like that, then you add in play action.

I've always loved play design with sports and my mind is going crazy with ways you could deploy this group of players as run options.

This kind of started with rewatching the Everett TD a few times. Not only does he do a great job of securing that shovel pass, but then he gets his head down, and finds the hole.

What do you guys think? Sean are you reading? How about you Kromer? Lafluer?
Could definitely see him being used like Ty Montgomery, seems to fit that mold to a T.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
H-back as in move tight end. Play that full back role, every once in a while get the hand off. Keep everything off balance. Also be a straight down the seam receiver from there.

Ty Montgomery I'd compare more to a Tavon.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Not a bad idea but honestly I think Everett is more of a threat down the field, not running the ball. Defenses would treat it the same as any other fb/rb formation.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Not a bad idea but honestly I think Everett is more of a threat down the field, not running the ball. Defenses would treat it the same as any other fb/rb formation.

He can still run routes out of that formation. Probably dictate matchups as well, he's a nightmare for most linebackers - especially if they can't jam him.

Higbee's blocking has also been improving a ton, Carrier helping out some? But I don't love Higbee from the H-back role in the same manner.

Everett is a legitimate runner with the ball in his hands. He has vision, footwork, and the ability to break tackles.

If anyone will teach me how to grab film from these games in short clips. I'll start grabbing some all 22 and showing you the effect having just Tavon and Todd on the field together brings. Adding another running element. Yikes!

Sammy is already grabbing so much attention that Woods is running wide open.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
He can still run routes out of that formation. Probably dictate matchups as well, he's a nightmare for most linebackers - especially if they can't jam him.

Higbee's blocking has also been improving a ton, Carrier helping out some? But I don't love Higbee from the H-back role in the same manner.

Everett is a legitimate runner with the ball in his hands. He has vision, footwork, and the ability to break tackles.

If anyone will teach me how to grab film from these games in short clips. I'll start grabbing some all 22 and showing you the effect having just Tavon and Todd on the field together brings. Adding another running element. Yikes!

Sammy is already grabbing so much attention that Woods is running wide open.
I'd rather see Everett catch the ball crossing the field and down the seam instead of flats and wheel routes. He has speed and a quick change of direction, but for a tight end. He doesn't have an rbs initial burst so we have to get him going first imo.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I'd rather see Everett catch the ball crossing the field and down the seam instead of flats and wheel routes. He has speed and a quick change of direction, but for a tight end. He doesn't have an rbs initial burst so we have to get him going first imo.

These are the things that have me salivating. He could set up in the eye formation and then move down inline, or into the slot. He could still be used in the running game from those spots as evidenced by his touchdown this week.

When you have those people that can do multiple things with the ball. You can dictate coverage and matchups for your defense.

What do you think about Watkins getting some end arounds? Getting the ball into his hands quick? He has breakaway ability.

TexasRam

Legend
We had 2 drives stalled on 3rd and 1 on Sunday by handing off to Gurley.

This has stalled at least 5 drives in the last 3 games. It really starting to annoy me because as much as I like Mcvay, this is a very uncreative, ineffective predictable play., that is killing offensive drives.

I hope he tries something else. Play action. Passing formation handoff, or even use a short yardage back paired with Gurley so they don't know where the ball is going.

Maybe an Hback will help. Dont' know. I mainly wanted to complain about this in hopes that Mcvay would get the point and stop hijacking possesions with Fisher ball.

The End.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
If I'm having Everett emulate anyone, it's no doubt Kelce from the Chiefs. Put their game on sometime and watch how brilliant Reid is with Kelce in the H-back set!

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
We had 2 drives stalled on 3rd and 1 on Sunday by handing off to Gurley.

This has stalled at least 5 drives in the last 3 games. It really starting to annoy me because as much as I like Mcvay, this is a very uncreative, ineffective predictable play., that is killing offensive drives.

I hope he tries something else. Play action. Passing formation handoff, or even use a short yardage back paired with Gurley so they don't know where the ball is going.

Maybe an Hback will help. Dont' know. I mainly wanted to complain about this in hopes that Mcvay would get the point and stop hijacking possesions with Fisher ball.

The End.

Some of those hurry up 3rd and 1's have been hard to watch. Trying to catch the defense off guard with a very predictable play?

Sure hurry up can be great in those situations but those are the 3rd downs we have to convert. Cannot be punting that ball.

Ram65

Legend
Everett has lined up in the H Back spot. I think that TD play was a Kelce KC play. I guess you can run that now and then from different spots on the field. Seems McVay is using Everett as a check down option. Not enough balls to go around. I would like to see him get more plays down the seem or running in the flats so he can use his running skills.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Hey @A.J. Hicks - wasn't that Everett they put at fullback on one of Gurley's best runs up the middle? I didn't catch the number but I thought it was 80-something.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Everette is best in space. He's a guy who can catch short to intermediate passes and make dudes miss or drag them for some extra yards. Naturally elusive runner, but I wouldn't take snaps from Gurley to give it to him behind the LOS too often.

Give him Tavon's snaps now? Ok.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
wherever he works.....I always thought he was a RB playing TE....

still doesn't block for shit tho...