Cunningham likely to start for Rams/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Cunningham likely to start for Rams
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_f6a9e6ca-020b-5c6d-8114-27b48da2930c.html

In the running back “section” of the Rams’ locker room, Benny Cunningham’s stall is surrounded by former first-, second- and third-round draft picks.

Yet it is Cunningham, undrafted out of Middle Tennessee State in 2013, who is the probable starter for the Rams on Sunday against Seattle.

Rookie Todd Gurley was listed as “out” on Friday’s injury report as he puts the finishing touches on his rehab and recovery from knee surgery while at the University of Georgia. It might be another couple of weeks before he makes his Rams debut.

Tre Mason, the Rams’ leading rusher a year ago (with 765 yards), did not practice all week and is listed as questionable because of a hamstring injury.

Per NFL parlance, the “questionable” designation means a player has a 50-50 chance of playing. But with rare exception, players who don’t practice all week don’t play Sunday.

So the expectation at Rams Park, inside and outside the locker room, is that Cunningham will get the start against the Seahawks.

“I’m just trying to prepare myself as best as possible for this upcoming game, and trying to make the most of this opportunity right now,” he said.

In two seasons with the Rams, Cunningham has carried 113 times for 507 yards and four touchdowns, and caught 45 passes for 411 yards and one touchdown. So he has seen a fair amount of playing time in the NFL and has even started two games.

His first NFL start, in fact, came against these same Seahawks last Oct. 19, a game in which he had 45 yards on five receptions and a TD and returned a kickoff 75 yards but had only two carries for 3 yards.

Because he has some seasoning, stage fright shouldn’t be a problem. But can he carry the load against a Seattle defense that ranked first in scoring defense and total defense, and third in rushing defense, a year ago? Cunningham never has had more than 13 carries in a game.

“I feel like I’ve done a good job of preparing this offseason, and most definitely this week, to get ready for moments like this,” Cunningham said with a quiet confidence. “Throughout the offseason you don’t prepare to go be a backup. You prepare to be a starter. I feel like that’s every running back in the NFL. So when the opportunity is given to us, we just want to make the most of it.”

Cunningham certainly has the confidence of his teammates.

“He’s gonna perform,” said linebacker Daren Bates, newly named as one of the Rams’ special teams captains. “He’s played some downs of offense in the past since he’s been here.”

So Cunningham starting against Seattle is no big deal?

“It’s nothing,” Bates said. “Just plug him in and keep playing because you know he’s gonna produce. Benny’s strong. He might be 5-5, but he can move the pile.”

Well, listing Cunningham at 5 feet 5 might be, uh, short-changing him, but his listed height of 5-10 might be stretching it.

A year ago, Cunningham was the Rams’ second-team running back behind the now-departed Zac Stacy and then Mason. He carved out a niche as the third-down back. A month from now, he’ll probably be third-string behind Gurley and Mason.

But in the Rams’ 2015 season opener, all signs point to him being the starter. As expected, coach Jeff Fisher was tight-lipped in discussing the injury situation in the backfield.

“(Mason) did not practice today, and he will be listed as questionable,” Fisher said Friday. “Todd Gurley was limited in practice and he is out, as we discussed.”

End of discussion. Earlier in the week, Fisher said Mason would be a “game-time” decision, which almost always is coach-speak for “probably not going to play.”

If Mason indeed joins Gurley in street clothes Sunday, and with Trey Watts suspended for the first four games, that means Isaiah Pead is the No. 2 back Sunday behind Cunningham.

Yes, Isaiah Pead, former second-round draft pick, former Big East offensive player of the year at the University of Cincinnati, a forgotten man on the Rams’ depth chart almost since his rookie season of 2012.

Pead missed the entire 2014 regular season because of a knee injury suffered against Green Bay that preseason. In 2012 and ’13, he carried a combined 17 times and caught only 14 passes.

There were times when it appeared his roster spot might be in jeopardy. But he kept working, most recently working through his knee rehab, and now he’s in line to see some playing time in the opener.

“He finished up really strong two years ago for us on special teams, and last year was a really big year for him, we thought, and then he had the injury,” Fisher said. “But he’s come back and he’s returned right back to where he was.

“The injury’s not an issue anymore and he’s a productive (special) teams player for us. He knows our offense and he’s definitely going to play.”

Pead even discarded his knee brace in the Rams’ preseason game against Indianapolis two weeks ago and hasn’t used it since. The knee feels that good.

Cunningham and Pead are in their third season together as teammates, so they know they can work together Sunday.

“As a running back group we hold each other accountable,” Pead said. “We all have a good vibe. We share information with whoever’s on the field. So me and Benny going 1-and-2 feels like it’s always felt.”

Cunningham added: “I know what he brings to the table; he knows what I bring to the table. We work well with each other. He’s competitive. He has a great work ethic. It’s good to know you’re going to war with somebody like him.”

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I expected BC all along.

We'll see some Pead, and the most productive will see the most carries.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
Who is our third RB for this game? Cunningham and Pead are the likely 1 and 2. Does Chase Reynolds finally take a snap outside ST's? Personally, I'd love to see Brown activated. I'd just hate to cut him again in hopes nobody picks him up once Mason and Gurley are active.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Who is our third RB for this game? Cunningham and Pead are the likely 1 and 2. Does Chase Reynolds finally take a snap outside ST's? Personally, I'd love to see Brown activated. I'd just hate to cut him again in hopes nobody picks him up once Mason and Gurley are active.

Reynolds is #3.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan

Let's just hope it isn't putting him at the halfback position and hoping he'll make a big run. Tavon needs to be in open space where he can make people miss.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
This is Cunningham's chance to show he can do it for an entire game.His value would go up if he can show that he can carry the load.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Big chance for bc and pead. I really feel pead can be the one to take charge.

Simba

Rookie
I think this is the right moment and the last chance for Pead.Cunningham will be starter, but Pead will have a lot of hand off too.It could be his rebirth.

RamzFanz

Damnit

Good point. I'm sure they will try a few things to see if they can get him rolling.

lockdnram21

Legend
Pead can be a big part of the offense this week. We know theres going to be a lot of short passes and screens. He should have a big game like vereen had in super bowl

Athos

Legend
I figured as much. Still worried about that run game for Sunday. Hopefully Tavon busts a big play or two and Foles does enough to win. I.e, no picks.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If we go by preseason Pead seems to be the better option running the football, whereas, Cunningham offers more in the passing game and in pass protection. Benny seems bigger this year and seemed somewhat tentative hitting the hole and a tad slower to the eye, but that was preseason.

Ball security will be a concern as well for Cunninham and Pead. Cunningham fumbled just before scoring last year in Seattle and Pead's ball security was never his strength although he has seemed to improve over the last couple of years.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think, for week #1, we will be just fine w/ Cunningham, Pead, Reynolds and Brown!!
This is still a pretty strong unit!
But I do tend to, :giggle:,when I think of how good it will be w/ Gurley, Mason, Watt and Cunningham in their!!:giggle::LOL::D

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I feel pretty good about Benny. He has a knack for making plays. He's not likely to bust one for 50 yards, but he can punish a D all game long. I also like his pass pro and receiving skills.

Pead will have a golden opportunity to impress, as well. Hope he takes full advantage. He might bolster his resume and that could be helpful if he's cut when Watts returns. No shortage of motivation for Pead, that's for sure.

Which brings me to the OL. Yeah, they're very inexperienced and Seattle will offer the sternest of tests. But these guys are not slouches when it comes to run blocking. Is it a big stretch to consider them an upgrade already over last year's season ending OL? So I think that Cunningham/Pead will see a few holes that they can utilize.

Gonna be fun to watch.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Cignetti needs to have great timing to run that special run play against the shegals (With Tavon Austin) used twice with Percy Harvin in their superbowl win. The Jet sweep was very succesfull both times it was called for great yards in shegals super bowl win. You have to have that special type player to even attempt running that play. With Tavon's quickness and speed we may really break something big. I'm sure with our RB depth that seattle will be looking for a big play like that. If we get a good wide side of the field I'd pull the trigger on that play. Maybe in a sped up offense we could catch them napping with TA in motion. Remember I called it when it goes for 30-40 yards.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Part of me thinks one of the reasons they installed the out-side zone run is to surprise people with Tavon in the backfield with it... then I thought about it and realized that Tavon wouldn't know a one-cut run if it came up and slapped him in the face.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
My boy Cunningham is going to prove a lot of doubters wrong tomorrow. I predict 80 yards on the the ground and another 30 through the air. Called it.