Cromartie: Sanchez isn't the problem here.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
By Andy Fenelon NFL.com
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... s-problems

image.JPG

KAPOLEI, Hawaii -- With lots of news swirling around the possibility of the New York Jets trading All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis, the team's ever-controversial quarterback situation has been knocked off the New York tabloids' back pages.

But it's just as relevant. And the lone member of the Jets in Hawaii this week for the Pro Bowl believes the solution already exists on the roster.

More importantly, cornerback Antonio Cromartie insinuates, a change at general manager should be the impetus for improvement.

Cromartie -- without mentioning Mike Tannenbaum's name -- threw the former Jets GM under the bus that Tannenbaum left town on earlier this month, saying the problems quarterback Mark Sanchez had in 2012 laid at the feet of Tannenbaum, not Sanchez.

"We have confidence in Mark," Cromartie said Friday after the AFC team's morning walk-through. "Like I've always said, even with the whole (Tim) Tebow thing, if we're going to sign Mark to a three-year extension, we need to make sure we put guys around him.

[hil]"If he has good, veteran players around him -- ones that know how to practice and compete at a high level every day -- then you'll have a better quarterback. But when you don't have a supporting cast around him, you're going to get an average or below-average quarterback. That's what we got."[/hil]

Clearly the implication here is that Tannenbaum, in Cromartie's mind, failed to do his job. And, in general, Jets owner Woody Johnson agreed, firing Tannebaum on Jan. 2, then hiring John Idzik away from the Seattle Seahawks to fill the vacant GM post and start cleaning up the mess.

Idzik so far has been low-key, unlike his head coach, and has refused to engage in conversations regarding the future of Sanchez. Of course, as he stated at his introductory press conference on Thursday, "I'm literally only hours into the job."

But as Idzik begins the process of evaluating the quarterbacks on his roster, players who endured another circus-like season with the Jets are already forming their opinions. Some, like Cromartie, are offering suggestions.

[hil]"He needs a better supporting cast," Cromartie said about Sanchez. "That's something the new GM has to look at and evaluate as he's looking at the roster. He needs to get Mark some help."[/hil]

That's easier said than done. The Jets' cap situation in 2013 is as bad as the Oakland Raiders' was last year, a reason several GM candidates were leery of taking the job. The Jets brought in 10 candidates over a two-week period before settling on Idzik.

And Sanchez's contract complicates matters even further. If the Jets keep him, he will count $12.8 million against a cap that is already bulging. And if the Jets cut Sanchez, he'll still count even more toward the cap -- $17.2 million.

It's a mess Idzik has inherited and it's his job to figure out. Even Cromartie turned down an offer to help solve that one.

"That's above my pay grade," he said.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Personally, I tend to agree. The Rams have better weapons on offense compared to the Jets, particularly when they lost Santonio Holmes the first month of the season.

Sanchez wasn't bad as a rookie. I think NY is a tough gig for any player, but with few weapons Sanchez forced more because he had to.

Now, I'm not saying Sanchez is one of my favorite QB's.. but he could be top 20, maybe even top 15 with better help around him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
CGI_Ram said:
Personally, I tend to agree. The Rams have better weapons on offense compared to the Jets, particularly when they lost Santonio Holmes the first month of the season.

Sanchez wasn't bad as a rookie. I think NY is a tough gig for any player, but with few weapons Sanchez forced more because he had to.

Now, I'm not saying Sanchez is one of my favorite QB's.. but he could be top 20, maybe even top 15 with better help around him.

I disagree. I think Sanchez is a bad starter no matter the situation. Statistically, he might look better with an All Pro cast and A+ coaching but he'd still be the same guy imo. I didn't think much of him as a rookie and have never seen him as anything more than a bad starter. Makes far too many bad decision and stupid mistakes. Doesn't really show enough flashes either imo.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
jrry32 said:
CGI_Ram said:

I disagree. I think Sanchez is a bad starter no matter the situation. Statistically, he might look better with an All Pro cast and A+ coaching but he'd still be the same guy imo. I didn't think much of him as a rookie and have never seen him as anything more than a bad starter. Makes far too many bad decision and stupid mistakes. Doesn't really show enough flashes either imo.

He won in the playoffs.

Bad decisions are the death of a QB. Sanchez made a lot of bad decisions this year, and made enough of them before to be considered a marginal QB.

But, he's played well at times. I think he can win with talent around him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
CGI_Ram said:
jrry32 said:
CGI_Ram said:

He won in the playoffs.

Bad decisions are the death of a QB. Sanchez made a lot of bad decisions this year, and made enough of them before to be considered a marginal QB.

Just about any QB can win with the right talent around him. I just don't think he'll ever be good...no matter the talent. Just doesn't have that sort of ability.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
jrry32 said:
CGI_Ram said:
jrry32 said:
CGI_Ram said:

He won in the playoffs.

Just about any QB can win with the right talent around him. I just don't think he'll ever be good...no matter the talent. Just doesn't have that sort of ability.

Okay, well... let's try to reach a little middle ground; have you ever seen anyone ass tackled as awesome as Sanchez?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vuvz15OjCVc[/youtube]

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
CGI_Ram said:
jrry32 said:
CGI_Ram said:
jrry32 said:
CGI_Ram said:

He won in the playoffs.

Okay, well... let's try to reach a little middle ground; have you ever seen anyone ass tackled as awesome as Sanchez?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vuvz15OjCVc[/youtube]

It was pretty legendary and he did complete the pass to the OL's butt. Too bad the OL couldn't hold onto it.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Antonio,,, 10 kids from 8 different women,,, Cromartie

That's gotta be a record right ?

…..

Legend
Selassie I said:
Antonio,,, 10 kids from 8 different women,,, Cromartie

That's gotta be a record right ?

and speaking of stupid......Its never a good idea for current players to discuss talent levels (or lack of) on thier teams, cause you tend to get not invited to the BBQ's after that.

Nobody wants to be that guy.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I watched Sanchez play a lot in college being out here in Pac 10 land. I always thought he was a mediocre QB at best and nothing he has done has changed that opinion. I have nothing against Mark. I just never saw the huge upside. And it's not like the Jets have always been devoid of talent. He's only been in the league for 4 years and it would have been difficult for anyone to thrive on that team this past season. But I have rarely seen him make plays that made me think he's being held back by anyone more than his own lack of talent.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
RamFan503 said:
I watched Sanchez play a lot in college being out here in Pac 10 land. I always thought he was a mediocre QB at best and nothing he has done has changed that opinion. I have nothing against Mark. I just never saw the huge upside. And it's not like the Jets have always been devoid of talent. He's only been in the league for 4 years and it would have been difficult for anyone to thrive on that team this past season. But I have rarely seen him make plays that made me think he's being held back by anyone more than his own lack of talent.

I even thought he could develop. But BSPN hyped Mr. 16 college starts as the next big thing and basically had all the eyes on him from the get-go.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Angry Ram said:
RamFan503 said:

I even thought he could develop. But BSPN hyped Mr. 16 college starts as the next big thing and basically had all the eyes on him from the get-go.

I think most of it was the almost total lack of QB talent in that draft. Stafford, Sanchez, Freeman - Sanchez was highly touted coming out of high school and had a good year at USC. I doubt you were alone in thinking as a Junior, the trend would be up. He finished with a hell of a game in the Rose Bowl that sent his stock soaring in a really bad QB year. If Sam had come out that year, I bet Mark would have stayed in school. It would have been idiotic for him to wait instead of entering the draft knowing teams would be fighting over him. I think it was his brother that told him to ignore Petey and get out. Smart man.

RamsLife

UDFA
Sanchez blows. If it wasn't for their top 5 defense in '09 and '10 they would of NEVER made it to the AFC Championship those 2 yrs. Hell, they prob wouldn't of even made the playoffs.

People can make excuses for him playing horribly this yr due to "lack of talent" around him, but what about last yr? Had Holmes and a pretty good Plaxico Burress, Keller at TE, and a very good O-Line (not to mention their D was top 10 to 15) and he still couldn't get it done and get them into the playoffs. Bottom line is Sanchez is barley backup material. Will never be a good or even decent starting QB in this league. He never was to begin with.