Creating the All-Time Rams Roster: Safety

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Pick your 2 starting safeties

• Total voters

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Creating the All-Time Rams Roster: Safety
gettyimages-77160962.jpg

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/2016/07/05/creating-the-all-time-rams-roster-safety/

By: Jake Ellenbogen | 2 hours ago

In this new series, we will break down our All-Time Rams roster position-by-position. We last covered the cornerbacks, and now it’s time to move on to the safeties. We’ll have two starters and three backups for this position.

Related:

Creating the All-Time Rams Roster: Cornerback

Starter: Nolan Cromwell
gettyimages-771609691.jpg

Nolan Cromwell was an All-American out of Kansas University. In 1997 he was drafted as the No. 32 overall selection. He played his entire 11-year career with the Los Angeles Rams.

Cromwell started off as a key contributor at nickelback and on special teams. He went on to win the starting job at free safety in 1979, and would finish his career as arguably the greatest safety in Rams history. He racked up four Pro Bowls, three first-team All-Pro honors and a second-team All-Pro honor.

The former Jayhawk finished with 37 interceptions, four touchdowns and two forced fumbles. Cromwell also spent time as a coach with the Rams.

Starter: Eddie Meador
The seventh-round pick in 1959 out of Arkansas State started off his career at cornerback and received two second-team All-Pro honors. He was moved to safety in 1964 and that is when his career took off.

He was invited to six Pro Bowls, received three first-team All-Pro honors and another second-team All-Pro honor. Meador holds many records for the franchise, including most career interceptions (46), most career fumbles recovered (18), most career kicks blocked (10), most fumbles recovered in a season (four) and most kicks blocked in a season (four).

Meador had quite the career, as he had 46 interceptions, 22 fumble recoveries and five touchdowns in his 12 seasons with the Rams.

Backup: Aeneas Williams
gettyimages-82951465.jpg

The former six-time Pro Bowler left the Arizona Cardinals after 10 seasons as a cornerback. He came to the St. Louis Rams for four years and became a safety. While his time with the Rams was a little short, Aeneas Williams was a great talent for the franchise.

He went to two Pro Bowls with the Rams and received an All-Pro honor. Williams even played in a Super Bowl for the Rams against the New England Patriots, which unfortunately they lost.

The Hall of Famer finished his career with the Rams with 48 games started, 220 combined tackles, nine interceptions, nine fumble recoveries, four forced fumbles and three touchdowns.

Backup: Johnnie Johnson Jr.
gettyimages-71499080.jpg

Johnnie Johnson Jr. was drafted out of Texas No. 17 overall in the 1980 draft by the Los Angeles Rams. Johnson was a first-team All-Pro selection in 1983. He started 107 games over his 10 years with the Rams.

Johnson Jr. totaled 22 fumble recoveries, 21 interceptions, four touchdowns and two forced fumbles. He also currently holds the record for longest interception return (99 yards) for the franchise, in which he set during his rookie year.

Backup: Dave Elmendorf
The former third-round pick out of Texas A&M put up some impressive years with the Los Angeles Rams. He never went to a Pro Bowl, but Elmendorf did start all 130 games he played with the Rams.

He racked up 27 interceptions, 11 fumble recoveries, five forced fumbles and two touchdowns.

Honorable Mention
Adam Archuleta
gettyimages-1494513.jpg

Archuleta came on to the Arizona State football squad as a walk-on. He later went on to become a first-round selection by the St. Louis Rams in 2001. A pretty incredible story overall.

Archuleta spent five seasons with the Rams and excelled in Lovie Smith’s defensive scheme. In his rookie year with the Rams, the team went to the Super Bowl, but unfortunately lost to the Patriots.

He started 69 games with the Rams and in those games the strong safety recorded 409 combined tackles, 21 pass breakups, five fumble recoveries, three forced fumbles, three interceptions and a touchdown.

Michael Stewart
gettyimages-281659.jpg

The 1987 eighth-round pick by the Rams out of Fresno State played seven seasons with the Rams. He originally was drafted to play baseball, but decided to pursue football instead.

Michael Stewart started 76 games with the Rams totaling 416 tackles, eight fumble recoveries, seven interceptions, five sacks, four forced fumbles, one touchdown and a safety.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Nice List! I, personally have Elmendorf and Cromwell as My top two Strong Safeties and Meador as my Top Free-Safety! I can't think of anyone you missed that was worth mentioning!(y);)

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Nice list....Meador was a beast....wish I could have seen him play... I did see Nolan....great player...I'll always hold those two bombs by Swann & Stalworth against him...knocks him down a lil..
So I went Johnnie Johnson & Aneas...Sorry Nolan...either knock it down or make the tackle...

SierraRam

Recreational User
Nice List! I, personally have Elmendorf and Cromwell as My top two Strong Safeties and Meador as my Top Free-Safety! I can't think of anyone you missed that was worth mentioning!(y);)

I'd have Bill Simpson ahead of Archuleta or Stewart for sure. 34 interceptions & 2 Pro Bowls on our top defenses of the 70's
upload_2016-7-5_11-5-27.jpeg
images

Attachments

• upload_2016-7-5_11-6-44.jpeg
    upload_2016-7-5_11-6-44.jpeg
    9.6 KB · Views: 166
  • upload_2016-7-5_11-8-29.jpeg
    upload_2016-7-5_11-8-29.jpeg
    5.2 KB · Views: 150

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Nolan Cromwell and Dave Elmendorf for the win please!
45c0bfd5493672c23b491a130368f9ca.jpg

7de0543cf15e783ced44749d31af9fef.jpg

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
1 vote for the great Aeneas Williams and my 2nd vote goes to Toby Wright who absolutely beasted as a Ram for a short time, and would have been a superstar if not for the career ending injuries. Shame.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think McLeod was destined to crack the roster until he left us :(

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
The Top Twenty All Time Ram SAFETIES:

1. Nolan Cromwell 37/4 '77-87 (4) :banana:Ram it baby!
  2. Eddie Meador 46/5 '59-70 (6)
  3. Will Sherman 28/3 '52-60 (2)
  4. Johnny Johnson 21/4 '80-88
  5. Dave Elmendorf 27/2 '71-79 He was one of the first ball Hawks I remember.
  6. Aeneas Williams 9/3 '01-04 (2)Yeah, twice. He deserves mention at safety, too. HOF
  7. Bill Simpson 22/0 '74-78
  8. Keith Lyle 28/0 '94-00 Like Lyght, it was great to see him get a ring.
  9. :double:OJ Atogwe 22/1 '05-10 leave the Rams, career over. :fighting: The second most disgraceful OJ.
  10. Vince Newsome 12/1 '83-90
  11. Toby Wright 7/1 '94-98 :boxing:some guys still feel the pain from his blows. He actually hit harder than TJ Mac.
  12. TJ McDonald 2/0 '13-15
  13. Michael Stewart 7/1 '87-93
  14. Don Burroughs 21/0 '55-59
  15. Anthony Newman 11/1 '88-94
  16. Jim Nettles 16/1 '69-72
  17. Rodney McLeod 5/0 '12-15 He has really improved and earned respect.
  18. Herb Rich 14/2 '51-53
  19. Mark Barron 0/0 '14-15 He has found his impact with the Rams. Hopefully we retain him.
  20. Pat Terrell 4/0 '90-93 Second round pick-had higher hopes for him.

This was my top 20 from January. The interception/TD numbers listed, pro bowls in parenthesis, as well as years with the Rams. I think Will Sherman deserves some mention here, as does Keith Lyle. I would have placed either of those guys or Vince Newsome over Michael Stewart on your list Jake.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
This was my top 20 from January. The interception/TD numbers listed, pro bowls in parenthesis, as well as years with the Rams. I think Will Sherman deserves some mention here, as does Keith Lyle. I would have placed either of those guys or Vince Newsome over Michael Stewart on your list Jake.
that is a fair point

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
How does OJ Atogwe not get any say? Not saying he is the best, but I think he is in the conversation. Before his shoulder injuries (late 2009) which ultimately derailed his career, he was pro bowl caliber IMO and our record was the sole reason why he didn't make it as an AllStar for 2-3 times.

OJ is one of the best ball Hawks we have ever had when it comes to INTs, FFs, and FRs. He also had a nose for the endzone. He demanded the franchise tag twice.

OJ led the NFC with 8 interceptions in 2007 and was awarded Rams MVP in 2008 after an 85-tackle, 5 interception, 6 Forced Fumble, and 3 Fumble recovery season. Between 2006-2010 OJ led the league in individual takeaways.

I think OJ deserves his due credit to be in the conversation

Last edited:

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
How does OJ Atogwe not get any say? Not saying he is the best, but I think he is in the conversation. Before his shoulder injuries (late 2009) which ultimately derailed his career, he was pro bowl caliber IMO and our record was the sole reason why he didn't make it as an AllStar for 2-3 times.

OJ is one of the best ball Hawks we have ever had when it comes to INTs, FFs, and FRs. He also had a nose for the endzone. He demanded the franchise tag twice.

OJ led the NFC with 8 interceptions in 2007 and was awarded Rams MVP in 2008 after an 85-tackle, 5 interception, 6 Forced Fumble, and 3 Fumble recovery season. Between 2006-2010 OJ led the league in individual takeaways.

I think OJ deserves his due credit to be in the conversation
Trust me I am a huge fan of Atogwe but I couldn't put too many honorable mentions. Atogwe is my favorite safety I watched so I totally hear you!

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I voted the original 21 along with Cromwelll

Pretty much a no brainer thru my ancient eyes :sneaky:

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
Same here but I find it amazing that they forgot about Bill Simpson.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ive said it before but id love to see Archuleta play barrons "role" in his prime,he would of killed it

…..

Legend
I loved his game, but he only played 2 years of safety and Aneas Williams played 10 years @ cornerback for another team. I cant see him even making the list, let alone getting more votes than Ed Meador, a HOFer and one of the greatest DB's of all time.

jmo

Todd59

Rookie
I'm a little disappointed that OJ Atogwe wasn't on the list. I know he didn't have a long career, but he may have been one of the brightest spots on some god-awful Rams teams. Dude was a turnover machine.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
I'm a little disappointed that OJ Atogwe wasn't on the list. I know he didn't have a long career, but he may have been one of the brightest spots on some god-awful Rams teams. Dude was a turnover machine.
I love Atogwe he was my favorite safety but while he was considered I did snub Toby Wright who would definitely have priority of Atogwe