Creating the All-Time Rams Roster: Defensive tackle

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Who belongs next to Merlin Olsen on the all-time Rams DT postion?

• Aaron Donald

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Larry Brooks

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Creating the All-Time Rams Roster: Defensive tackle
gettyimages-501828802.jpg

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/2016/06/30/creating-the-all-time-rams-roster-defensive-tackle/

In this new series, we will break down our All-Time Rams roster position-by-position. We last covered defensive end, and now it’s time to move on to the defensive tackles. We’ll have two starters and three backups for this position.

Related:

Creating the All-Time Rams Roster: Defensive End

Starter: Merlin Olsen
merlinolsen.jpg

The Fearsome Foursome would not have been as incredible as they were without this Hall of Famer being in the fray. Merlin Olsen made the Pro Bowl every year except the final season of his 15-year career.

Olsen finished with unofficial tallies of 94 sacks in 208 games, according to the team’s official site. He was named first-team All-Pro six times and second-team All-Pro three times.

He is considered either the greatest defensive lineman in Rams history or the second greatest behind his former teammate Deacon Jones. Either way, Olsen is a legendary player and he automatically makes this line scary.

Starter: Aaron Donald
adonald.jpg

This may come as a shock to you, but Aaron Donald is on a crazy pace and could end up becoming the all-time best Ram ever. I do understand the possible disagreement with Donald being on this list, as he’s entering just his third year, and already being considered the second-best defensive tackle in Rams history.

I might be reaching, but in just year two of his career, he is already arguably the best defensive player in the NFL. If he continues on this pace his numbers and reputation will be second to none.

Backup: Larry Brooks
The former 14th-round pick in the NFL draft, Larry Brooks was a five-time Pro Bowler, and received honors twice on both the first and second All-Pro teams. Brooks played each of his 11 seasons with the Los Angeles Rams.

Brooks had a knee injury that caused him to retire early, but like a true Ram, he went right onto the sideline for the same team as a defensive line assistant coach for eight years.

Having Brooks as a backup is just how it goes with the all-time Rams team, since they had so much talent at seemingly every position besides maybe tight end.

Backup: Rosey Grier
usatsi_9361012.jpg

The well-respected Roosevelt Grier was a two-time Pro Bowler and three-time All-Pro during his time with the Giants. During the Fearsome Foursome era, the Rams decided to go out and trade for him.

Grier was stellar and helped the Fearsome Foursome dominate. He played just four seasons due to an unfortunate torn Achilles injury that forced him to retire.

Backup: Coy Bacon
Bacon was a Pro Bowler and two-time second-team All-Pro for the Los Angeles Rams. Bacon was with the team for five years, and wound up there thanks to a trade with the Dallas Cowboys. The Rams traded a fifth-round pick to the Cowboys to pick up the undrafted free agent.

When one of the members of the Fearsome Foursome, Lamar Lundy, retired, it left a starting opportunity wide open for Bacon. Obviously, he relished the opportunity, pulling off a Pro Bowl year.

Bacon was crazy depth for the Fearsome Foursome back in the day and would only be crazier to add on the line we built for the all-time Rams.

Honorable Mention
D’Marco Farr

gettyimages-490302.jpg

Farr’s seven-year career was all with the Rams. He was one of the rare players who began as a Los Angeles Ram, went to St. Louis with the team and won the Super Bowl in the 1999-00 season. Farr is well known by the St. Louis fans as the voice with Randy Karraker on 101 ESPN’s afternoon show The Fast Line.

His career was impressive in its own right. Farr went to a Pro Bowl and tallied 36.5 sacks in 100 career NFL games.

Michael Brockers

gettyimages-492294520.jpg

Maybe this is a little premature, but then again, maybe it’s not. Current defensive tackle Michael Brockers makes our honorable mention, and the reason is simple. Brockers has been the Lamar Lundy of the new-age Rams defensive line. He hasn’t been given the credit he truly deserves.

Brockers was drafted by the Rams in 2012 out of LSU. Since then he has racked up 153 tackles, 14.5 sacks, two forced fumbles and a fumble recovery. Brockers was named to the Pro Football Writers of America’s All-Rookie team in 2012.

He does many things the casual fan can’t see in the trenches. Brockers at times gives a boost to Robert Quinn, Aaron Donald and William Hayes by taking on double teams, which gives his teammates one-on-one matchups. Brockers has been nothing but a team player and continues to improve every year. Sooner or later he’s going to get the Pro Bowl nod.

Again, if you enjoyed this please share it here: http://theramswire.usatoday.com/2016/06/30/creating-the-all-time-rams-roster-defensive-tackle/

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I would have to go with Donald! Partly because Both Olsen and Brooks played LDT, but mostly because Donald is just the BEST I've ever seen except for Olsen!!
You should have added Ron Brown in their, he replaced Grier and was pretty damn good!!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It seems Rosey should at least be on the list of choices. But I'd have to go with Donald at this point. Let's keep in mind though that he has only played a couple seasons and has to continue his obvious greatness. It appears that will be the case but he needs several more seasons IN HORNS for me to put him squarely on that list.

And yeah - I realize Rosey's time with the Rams was limited as well.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It seems Rosey should at least be on the list of choices. But I'd have to go with Donald at this point. Let's keep in mind though that he has only played a couple seasons and has to continue his obvious greatness. It appears that will be the case but he needs several more seasons IN HORNS for me to put him squarely on that list.

And yeah - I realize Rosey's time with the Rams was limited as well.
Well I feel for Rosey because his time was limited due to an injury that today would have been no problem and he would have been able to continue playing...