Cowboys writer/analyst on the Rams (dallascowboys.com)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Bryan Broaddus
Football Analyst/Scout
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-BryanBroaddusBlog/Broaddus-Rams-Face-Big-Challenge-With-Starting-OT-Out/73f2a3b0-02fc-4108-a1cf-0ab1ea9b8c23" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/artic ... b1ea9b8c23</a>

Saffold_091813_650.jpg

The loss of offensive tackle Rodger Saffold to a knee injury is a big blow to this Rams offense. Saffold for such a large man is an outstanding athlete. He is a right tackle with left tackle feet. In the Arizona and Atlanta games to start the season, I felt like he was better than Jake Long on the left side Saffold is a hard guy to play because he is so long and it was rare to see him out of position run or pass. Joe Barksdale replaces him who they got off waivers from the Raiders. Barksdale is a large man himself but he tends to be very slow out of his stance and will give up the edge much too often.

These Cowboys safeties will have their hands full in coverage with tight end, Jared Cook who will line up all over the place in these Rams formations. I have seen him play as the inline “Y” and arc release up the field against the Cardinals, snatch the ball and head for the goal line with a burst of speed. Would be interested to see if these defensive coaches would try and match up against him more with size than speed. This could be a game where we see Barry Church or maybe even J.J. Wilcox, line up across from him then try and bang him down the field. Will Allen could cover but I don't believe is physical enough to handle the job.

Michael Brockers was a draft candidate for the Cowboys, two seasons ago as a defensive end in the Rob Ryan 3-4 scheme. For the Rams, he plays as a load inside at tackle. There is a great deal of power in his game and when he is on the move can be trouble to stop because of his strength. Brockers’ best trait is his strength and power but his weakness is that he doesn’t have many pass rush moves. In the Arizona and Atlanta games, there were times on pass plays with he was stuck on blocks and it was difficult to disengage and work toward the ball. Kendall Langford who plays tackle next to him does a much better job of getting up the field and being disruptive from that stand point. He doesn’t have the power of Brockers but he does a much better job attacking the blockers.

Cornerback Janoris Jenkins was a first round talent that scared NFL teams away from him because of some serious off field character concerns. Jenkins started his career at Florida and was only one of two freshmen to ever start at cornerback there but was kicked off the team after he was found with possession of marijuana. There was a thought that Jenkins might try for the Supplemental Draft but instead transferred to North Alabama for his senior season and he finished his career there. At the time of the draft, the Cowboys front office had Jenkins completely off their board and was not considered a draftable player. The Rams took him in the 2nd round and he has been their starter the last two seasons. He is one of those cornerbacks that has tremendous skill and talent. He tends to play with feel and he is not afraid to take a risk or two because he knows that he can recover if he makes a mistake. He likes to gamble for the big play and he can pull it off. He wants nothing to do with the physical side of the game when it comes to tackling but you have to be cautious when you attack him because he will make you pay for a mistake.

Last week against the Chiefs, I thought their linebackers were an outstanding group as a whole and were really the difference in that football game. This Rams group is not as good as the Chiefs but they are better than the Giants. James Laurinaitis, Alec Ogletree and Will Witherspoon are active and will find the ball on the move. Where I feel this group struggles at times is when they have to take on blocks. Their defensive line is an attacking one and get up the field quickly and it tends to expose these linebackers to some blocks. There were several times where they were bounced around one-on-one and were washed out of the play. I didn’t see the stoutness that I saw from the Chiefs who were outstanding playing with this hands, controlling blockers and making the secure tackle. Where this Cowboys offensive line had to biggest issues in the running game was not getting blockers consistently to the second level and securing those blocks. Unblocked defenders tend to lead small gains in the running game. I believe that these Rams linebackers will struggle badly if they have someone in their face the entire game.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I don't think the lb's will have the issues this writer states! D line will take care of that issue! Whup them cowgirls!

iced

i just finished reading the first paragraph and i'm already blown away by how inaccurate and bad this is...

Long has been a stud at LT - saffold was not

edit -

finished reading - yep..another misinformed, terrible article that clearly lacked a lot of research...not just some facts about the players but also the evaluation of the games.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
iced said:
i just finished reading the first paragraph and i'm already blown away by how inaccurate and bad this is...

I don't know how much credence you give the guys at PFF, but they saw it differently.

iced

X said:
iced said:

I don't know how much credence you give the guys at PFF, but they saw it differently.

-shrug-

I disagree with them then. I also remember saffold getting quite a few false starts - I think we've only heard Jake Long called once?

I remember watching saffold get beat a lot last season, while Bradford in 2 games has yet to be sacked with Long at LT, and Long I believe has given up very little pressures on the left side.

Also - PFF goes off of stats... Stuff I'm talking about is watching him get beat or start to get beat even if bradford got rid of the ball quickly

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
iced said:
X said:
iced said:

-shrug-

I disagree with them then. I also remember saffold getting quite a few false starts - I think we've only heard Jake Long called once?

I remember watching saffold get beat a lot last season, while Bradford in 2 games has yet to be sacked with Long at LT, and Long I believe has given up very little pressures on the left side.

Also - PFF goes off of stats... Stuff I'm talking about is watching him get beat or start to get beat even if bradford got rid of the ball quickly
Well, yeah. They go off of stats because they formulate them after watching every single snap of every single game. That's a large staff of individuals that put that stuff together. And I'm enjoying this thread now because once again ... I have to look shit up.

Let's take 2012 as a comparison, because Saffold and Long aren't playing LT this year.

Last year, Saffold gave up fewer sacks, fewer hits, fewer pressures, and had a MUCH higher rating in pass blocking and run blocking. And I mean by a lot. They're ranked 30 and 46 respectively last year. With regard to penalties, both of them had 7. So maybe that Cowboys guy is onto something.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Wow....Rams LBers aren't as stout as the Chiefs.......Maybe....just maybe....it's because the Chiefs play a 3-4 where their linemen number 1 task is keep the LBers clean. Who knew......a Chowboys pseudo reporter could figure that out. I'm amazed. :slap!:

iced

X said:
iced said:
X said:
iced said:

-shrug-

Well, yeah. They go off of stats because they formulate them after watching every single snap of every single game. That's a large staff of individuals that put that stuff together. And I'm enjoying this thread now because once again ... I have to look shyte up.

Let's take 2012 as a comparison, because Saffold and Long aren't playing LT this year.

Last year, Saffold gave up fewer sacks, fewer hits, fewer pressures, and had a MUCH higher rating in pass blocking and run blocking. And I mean by a lot. They're ranked 30 and 46 respectively last year. With regard to penalties, both of them had 7. So maybe that Cowboys guy is onto something.

saffold also didn't play a whole lot.

he missed 6 games, and he also missed some QUALITY competition - starting with Julius Peppers, the week after he got hurt. And he went down early in the Washington game, Orakpo also went down at some point too.

He missed: @ Chicago
Seattle
Arizona
Miami
Green bay
Patriots

almost all of those teams have players he'd be going 1 on 1 with a player that's not a JAG. however, look at who he played after that:
Jets
@SF
@Arizona
SF
@Buffalo
Minnesota
@Tampa
@Sea

Plus, how many stretches of games did he miss with other "little" injuries?

I don't think the sample size is all that big... and let's not discuss how ugly the season before was

PFF also doesn't account for when the coordinator has to alter his play calling, like calling shorter passes or sending an RB/TE to chip to that side to help his blocker.

They've been leavin Long 1-on-1, that's for sure. I remember saffold gettin some help last season.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
iced said:
X said:
iced said:
X said:
iced said:

-shrug-

Well, yeah. They go off of stats because they formulate them after watching every single snap of every single game. That's a large staff of individuals that put that stuff together. And I'm enjoying this thread now because once again ... I have to look shyte up.

saffold also didn't play a whole lot.

he missed 6 games, and he also missed some QUALITY competition - starting with Julius Peppers, the week after he got hurt. And he went down early in the Washington game, Orakpo also went down at some point too.

He missed: @ Chicago
Seattle
Arizona
Miami
Green bay
Patriots

almost all of those teams have players he'd be going 1 on 1 with a player that's not a JAG. however, look at who he played after that:
Jets
@SF
@Arizona
SF
@Buffalo
Minnesota
@Tampa
@Sea

Plus, how many stretches of games did he miss with other "little" injuries?

I don't think the sample size is all that big... and let's not discuss how ugly the season before was
Well you've got a point there. Saffold had 124 less snaps on the year. But both guys have had injury issues, and 2011 was an abomination with the way that offense was expected to execute a different game plan every week (in a new system) while they were all dropping like flies due to injury. If the LG is supposed to be the LT's support, then you can't compare 2011 season stats at all. It's filthy.

It's all that guy's opinion anyway. He's an analyst of sorts (I'll have to dig up how he qualifies), and he sees Saffold as being more technically sound I guess, with a longer frame. I, personally, think Jake Long is WAY BETTER suited for this type of offense because he's just that much more physical. But Saffold is no slouch. I think people's perceptions of him are clouded by his injuries and the uber-magnified false starts he's had.

iced

X said:
Well you've got a point there. Saffold had 124 less snaps on the year. But both guys have had injury issues, and 2011 was an abomination with the way that offense was expected to execute a different game plan every week (in a new system) while they were all dropping like flies due to injury. If the LG is supposed to be the LT's support, then you can't compare 2011 season stats at all. It's filthy.

It's all that guy's opinion anyway. He's an analyst of sorts (I'll have to dig up how he qualifies), and he sees Saffold as being more technically sound I guess, with a longer frame. I, personally, think Jake Long is WAY BETTER suited for this type of offense because he's just that much more physical. But Saffold is no slouch. I think people's perceptions of him are clouded by his injuries and the uber-magnified false starts he's had.

PFF also doesn't account for when the coordinator has to alter his play calling, like calling shorter passes or sending an RB/TE to chip to that side to help his blocker.

They've been leavin Long 1-on-1, that's for sure. I remember saffold gettin some help last season.

His penalties are another thing too (probably why he was so good against the pass, he got a good jump lol)... he had 8 penalties in only 10 games.. doug free led the league with 13, and he played all 16 (next 9 had 10-12 penalties)... i think saffold easily would have led the league

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
iced said:
Well ... they kinda do. Obviously not every stat harvesting site is exact science, but these guys do put a lot of time into it and they do take extenuating circumstances into account more often than not.

[textarea]3) How do you know exactly what a player’s job is on any given play and whether negatives were his fault?

This question obviously changes depending on the position and the specific play. Much of our methodology can be found in our explanation of our grading, but we will go into a quick summary:

• Pass Protection

This is a measure of how much total pressure a player gives away during a game. It isn’t a simple formula like -1.5 for a sack, -1 for a hit, as time taken to get the pressure is also very important. This is then normalized by adding a small positive factor for every drop-back he played. It is usually simple enough to determine what a player’s assignment is in pass protection, as we have the benefit of being able to watch one player closely and specifically multiple times. It is possible that a blocker is directed by the quarterback to take a specific man, resulting in a pass rusher that appears to be his responsibility getting a pressure and us grading that blocker down. This is an inherent inaccuracy in the grading, but despite this potential inaccuracy we have had NFL sources, including Bengals OG Evan Mathis, confirm that our grades are accurate, and reflect closely what they receive as internal feedback. There may be an inherent margin of error in what we do, but it is still more accurate than anything outside of a team meeting room.

• Run Blocking

Again, it is rare not to be able to determine where a run was supposed to go, and what a blocker’s assignment was on a particular play. Players don’t make the kind of mental lapses often that would see them going to a totally different place than where they should have been. If they did they wouldn’t be in the league long. If a player attempts a block on somebody, whether they win the encounter or lose it, it was almost certainly their assignment on the play. This is obviously not easy to pick up live and in real time, but again we have the benefit of being able to go back retrospectively and watch multiple replays of a play developing to get the information.[/textarea]

iced

X said:
iced said:
Well ... they kinda do. Obviously not every stat harvesting site is exact science, but these guys do put a lot of time into it and they do take extenuating circumstances into account more often than not.

[textarea]3) How do you know exactly what a player’s job is on any given play and whether negatives were his fault?

This question obviously changes depending on the position and the specific play. Much of our methodology can be found in our explanation of our grading, but we will go into a quick summary:

• Pass Protection

This is a measure of how much total pressure a player gives away during a game. It isn’t a simple formula like -1.5 for a sack, -1 for a hit, as time taken to get the pressure is also very important. This is then normalized by adding a small positive factor for every drop-back he played. It is usually simple enough to determine what a player’s assignment is in pass protection, as we have the benefit of being able to watch one player closely and specifically multiple times. It is possible that a blocker is directed by the quarterback to take a specific man, resulting in a pass rusher that appears to be his responsibility getting a pressure and us grading that blocker down. This is an inherent inaccuracy in the grading, but despite this potential inaccuracy we have had NFL sources, including Bengals OG Evan Mathis, confirm that our grades are accurate, and reflect closely what they receive as internal feedback. There may be an inherent margin of error in what we do, but it is still more accurate than anything outside of a team meeting room.

• Run Blocking

Again, it is rare not to be able to determine where a run was supposed to go, and what a blocker’s assignment was on a particular play. Players don’t make the kind of mental lapses often that would see them going to a totally different place than where they should have been. If they did they wouldn’t be in the league long. If a player attempts a block on somebody, whether they win the encounter or lose it, it was almost certainly their assignment on the play. This is obviously not easy to pick up live and in real time, but again we have the benefit of being able to go back retrospectively and watch multiple replays of a play developing to get the information.[/textarea]

no you're not getting what i'm saying - if he's getting help he's going to have a higher rating vs 1 on 1, they don't account for that. that's what i meant by play calling and the players that help chip. didn't mean who was ultimately responsible for allowing the sack.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
iced said:
no you're not getting what i'm saying - if he's getting help he's going to have a higher rating vs 1 on 1, they don't account for that. that's what i meant by play calling and the players that help chip. didn't mean who was ultimately responsible for allowing the sack.
Barry Richardson was on the other side. If anyone was getting help last year, it was him. Besides, chips happen as often as possible on both sides of the line.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Cornerback Janoris Jenkins was a first round talent that scared NFL teams away from him because of some serious off field character concerns. Jenkins started his career at Florida and was only one of two freshmen to ever start at cornerback there but was kicked off the team after he was found with possession of marijuana. There was a thought that Jenkins might try for the Supplemental Draft but instead transferred to North Alabama for his senior season and he finished his career there. At the time of the draft, the Cowboys front office had Jenkins completely off their board and was not considered a draftable player. The Rams took him in the 2nd round and he has been their starter the last two seasons. He is one of those cornerbacks that has tremendous skill and talent. He tends to play with feel and he is not afraid to take a risk or two because he knows that he can recover if he makes a mistake. He likes to gamble for the big play and he can pull it off. He wants nothing to do with the physical side of the game when it comes to tackling but you have to be cautious when you attack him because he will make you pay for a mistake.

He didn't look like he wanted nothing to do with the physical side of the game when he nearly took the head off that Redskins player last season (Alfred Morris?)

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Fred Davis, but he got flagged for it. Total BS call BTW.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Ebonemalone

Rookie
Take aside all of the wrong things I think the guy said. I had trouble reading it because of grammar mistakes, many times where he put "this" where "is" should be, etc. had to reread a bunch of sentences

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
It's really astounding to me that so few writers actually edit their work anymore. I find it hard to believe that they're so pressed for time that they can't look and be professional.

V3

Hall of Fame
LumberTubs said:

He didn't look like he wanted nothing to do with the physical side of the game when he nearly took the head off that Redskins player last season (Alfred Morris?)

That's probably his best hit so far but it wasn't a tackle. Sorry, but JJ is a bad tackler. He misses a lot of tackles.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
V3 said:
LumberTubs said:

That's probably his best hit so far but it wasn't a tackle. Sorry, but JJ is a bad tackler. He misses a lot of tackles.

I, too, have seen him miss SOME tackles but, IMO, "a lot" is both ambiguous and incorrect. The issue I had with this "analyst" however was his claim that JJ "wants nothing to do with tackling". I have not seen that from him at all.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
BigRamFan said:
V3 said:
LumberTubs said:

I, too, have seen him miss SOME tackles but, IMO, "a lot" is both ambiguous and incorrect. The issue I had with this "analyst" however was his claim that JJ "wants nothing to do with tackling". I have not seen that from him at all.
+1 He handled Adrian Peterson just fine on a solo tackle on the edge last year. I believe it was a tackle for a loss, too.