Cowboys going for it on 4th down

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
That was probably the dumbest call I've ever seen. It was 4th and THREE yards to go. They had an automatic FG there to tie the game, and lost by 3 points. McCarthy has some explaining to do. But thanks anyway, thanks for handing us the victory on a platter.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
One thing's for sure: it's always dumb when you don't make it. :beer2::ROFLMAO:

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
One thing's for sure: it's always dumb when you don't make it. :beer2::ROFLMAO:

If they kicked the FG, the Rams would have had to drive the whole field and score somehow. If they don't convert, the Rams didn't have to score again at all. BIG difference. 4th and 1 I could have seen the argument, but three yards? Take the points.

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.
... I think the call may have come from Bones ..

tenor.gif

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
Thought it was kind of a slap in the face to the Rams thinking the could go for it and get another opportunity later.

TexasRam

Legend
There was 12 minutes left in the game when they went for it on 4th down.

I don't see a problem with that. Our defense was shit and 3 yards is doable at that point.

Fuller made one hell of a play wading through traffic. I give credit to him. Also, Dak through it low and a tad behind Lamb. Ball placement is everything and this is on Dak. Ball placement was critical.

Honestly, the data is showing that going for it on 4th down is often the best decision. That's why I wasn't happy when MCvay didn't do it. The Ravens owned the league last year with the data driven 4th down aggressive calls.

Now if there was 5 mins left then take the FG is the right call in my book. But 12 minutes left, I liked the call.

Last edited:

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I don't see a problem with that. Our defense was shit and 3 yards is doable at that point.

Fuller made one hell of a play wading through traffic. I give credit to him. Also, Dak through it low and a tad behind Lamb. Ball placement is everything and this is on Dak. Ball placement was critical.

Honestly, the data is showing that going for it on 4th down is often the best decision. That's why I wasn't happy when MCvay didn't do it. The Ravens owned the league last year with the data driven 4th down aggressive calls.

Now if there was 5 mins left then take the FG is the right call in my book. But 12 minutes left, I liked the call.

THEY LOST BY THREE POINTS. Tell me where and when it's acceptable to not tie the game when it's almost guaranteed?

Ants

Starter

Don't agree at all. (n)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
THEY LOST BY THREE POINTS. Tell me where and when it's acceptable to not tie the game when it's almost guaranteed?
When they convert the 4th down and take a 4 point lead.....
They did get 2 more opportunities, so there is some logic upheld, but yeah I would kick the 3 every time in that scenario. Had the Rams scored again it would have made the decision look really bad, but they sorta helped out there

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
There was still time. 12 minutes left is a lot and the Cowboys defense had been playing better once they got more pressure on Jared Goff. So a TD there likely wins the game by four points. It really was poor execution by Dam Prescott, combined with a great veteran recognizing what was coming and a rookie making a great stop. That easily could have been a first and in many games would have been.

What McCarthy seemed to fail to account for is that if the Rams made the stop it would really fire up the their defense, which it did.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Based on how the Cowboys were moving the ball in Rams territory I thought they were gonna make it. But then here comes Fuller smacking the receiver short of the sticks. Awesome unbelievable play.

McCarthy was always an average coach to me. I was amused when they hired him because it's really not an improvement. I think he's one of the worst coaches who ever won a SB.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Dallas had two more possessions after the failed fourth down play.

Yes- so it wasn’t such a bad call.
what about the PI call?
The Niners did the same thing at the goal line. Cost them the game.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
McCarthy was always an average coach to me. I was amused when they hired him because it's really not an improvement. I think he's one of the worst coaches who ever won a SB.

I agree Jason Garret to McCarthy was just a lateral move. When I think of McCarthy's GB teams, it was pretty much Rogers and not much else going on.