Cowboys, Giants backed off Odell Beckham Jr. in free agency because he misread his 'worth'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie

Yahoo Sports

Cowboys, Giants backed off Odell Beckham Jr. in free agency because he misread his 'worth'​

Charles Robinson
Charles Robinson
·NFL columnist
Tue, December 13, 2022 at 6:45 PM

In early October, when Odell Beckham Jr. was no longer in the mood to be cryptic about his disappointment with the Los Angeles Rams and their “lowest of lows” contract offer for 2022, a source from the team posed a question that resonates louder than ever this month. At the time, Beckham was still months from being viable on the football field due to a torn ACL last season, but the Rams were doing their best to stay in his good graces.
Then Beckham tweeted Oct. 12 that the Rams didn’t offer him “ANYthing” and that while the free-agent wideout knew his “worth,” the deal offered by the Rams “isn’t reflective of that.”
$50K Yahoo Cup
“What is his worth, and who is offering it to him?” a Rams source asked a few days after the Beckham tweet. “That’s everyone’s market, right?”
The source added that they weren’t trying to be dismissive and reiterated that the Rams wanted a reunion with Beckham after he helped win the Super Bowl in February. But they also expressed a caveat that three members of the Rams' braintrust offered when I visited training camp in August: Beckham wouldn’t be ready to play until late in the season. By then, circumstances could've changed for both sides.
In regard to the Rams, that was exactly right. Seemingly everything has gone wrong this season, knocking the team out of postseason contention and making a Beckham pursuit a moot point.
But for Beckham?
Free-agent wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. has visited with multiple teams this season, but a deal has yet to materialize. (AP Photo/Rick Scuteri)

Free-agent wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. has visited with multiple teams this season, but a deal has yet to materialize. (AP Photo/Rick Scuteri)

The circumstances surrounding his contract expectations are still pretty familiar. He believes he knows his worth. And as of Dec. 13 — two months since his complaints about the Rams — Beckham doesn’t have an NFL team willing to give it to him. Not the Dallas Cowboys. Not the New York Giants. Not the Buffalo Bills. And not any of the other Super Bowl contenders that could've lined up visits with him this week but curiously haven’t tried.
All of which makes a multitude of teams wrong about Beckham's worth, unless maybe he’s sailing with a free-agency map that’s upside down.
To underline that reality, let’s consider a line from from one of the founding fathers of day-trading, Jesse Livermore. As the 1900s stock market savant once framed it, “Markets are never wrong. Opinions often are.”
In this case, Beckham's opinion of his worth is demonstrably wrong. If it weren't, he’d be on an NFL roster right now. Instead, veteran players such as T.Y. Hilton and Cole Beasley have signed with the Cowboys and Bills, respectively. Meanwhile, nobody in the NFL seems entirely sure what Beckham looks like running around on a field after his second ACL surgery because he declined to work out on any of his free-agency visits earlier this month.
While they might not be in a hurry to say so publicly, that was a problem for the teams that were most eager to sign him. Meanwhile, Hilton worked out for Dallas on Monday morning and had a contract by the afternoon. And Beasley agreed to sign a practice squad deal that could very well make him a week-to-week roster decision for the team.
All of this comes just days after Beckham said publicly that he didn’t see the point of playing in the regular season. Which, if we’re being real here, is in the same zip code as a team not seeing the point of signing a player who doesn’t want to play in the regular season.
Different opinions. Different decisions. Beckham remains unsigned. Hilton and Beasley do not. That’s the market speaking.
Of course, it’s not like this is all because of a workout issue. Beckham does not want a short-term deal like the one he signed with the Rams last offseason. He made a bet on himself in 2021 that he wouldn’t get injured, and he lost. It’s understandable that he doesn’t want to make that bet again.
Instead, he went into last offseason wanting security. A one-year deal wasn’t going to entice him, especially not when it would give him only a sink-or-swim window of a few games — which might be just enough for him to get injured again but not quite enough to ramp up his free-agent market.

It was clear from talking to the Rams in the preseason that Beckham was looking for a long-term deal. He wanted something substantial from the team, given that he’d helped them win a Super Bowl. He expected some loyalty in return. When that didn’t happen, he was upset. But his contract attitude hadn’t changed. If he was going to sign somewhere, it was going to be for some long-term security, and it was going to be for the kind of money that made him — at worst — a mid-level No. 1 wideout in terms of salary.

What teams have in mind for Beckham is something different. In fact, the Cowboys just showcased roughly what Beckham would've been looking at in terms of contract structure with the team. Hilton got $600,000 for the remaining four games this season and will get $50,000 bonuses for each of those games that he's on the team’s active roster. Aside from that, he can land as much as $700,000 in postseason incentives.

A team source told Yahoo Sports that the Cowboys were prepared to offer Beckham more money than that if a deal had been discussed. However, it would've been heavily incentivized and short-term in nature. Unfortunately for Dallas, that’s the kind of structure Beckham isn't interested in. It might be the market, but it’s still not the market inside Beckham’s head.

At some point, one side has to give here. And time is getting extremely short. Either Beckham is going to step closer to a team’s short-term outlook, or a franchise is going to lean into the wideout’s long-term hopes.

As of Tuesday night, significant compromise appears dead. And until something changes, that’s the best way to describe the status of Beckham's 2022 season.

Ellard80

Legend
this is leaving out the fact that his knee is still not 100% and also why he can't work out yet.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
OBJ is gonna be 31 midway through next season. Its not looking good for him to sign a deal this season. I just don't think anyone's willing to commit to a long term deal at this point. Sucks for him. But he's gonna have to take what he can get if he wants to keep playing before he gets too old.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
More on the OBJ saga.

Jerry Jones said he had not given up on Odell Beckham when the player gave him a reason to do just that.

After the Dallas Cowboys’ win over the Houston Texans on Sunday in Arlington, Jerry told the Star-Telegram’s Clarence Hill that OBJ is still on the radar when Jerry was asked if this pursuit is over.

“Not at all. Put a big exclamation on that,” Jones said “That’s all I got on that.”

Jerry often says he reserves the right to change his mind. So maybe he wasn’t quite lying.

The Dallas Cowboys wisely looked at OBJ, and decided they were done once he handed them a reason not to sign him.

Rather than go with OBJ, the team signed former Indianapolis Colts veteran wideout T.Y. Hilton. The team announced the add on Monday.

Keep your expectations low.

T.Y. ain’t OBJ.

Hilton is 32, hasn’t played this season, and dealt with injuries last year with the Colts.

He is also a better option than Beckham for one reason. He can play football, and wants to play football.

The Odell Beckham 2022 Freeload Tour should never have been.

As part of his tour, the free agent wide receiver conned Jerry and the Cowboys into court side tickets to watch Luka Doncic and the Dallas Mavericks last week.

OBJ probably got some Luka swag, and a some free expensive meals out of it, too.

No sports journalist can rip on OBJ for freeloading. Probably can learn a thing or two from the man.

Once the Cowboys medical staff had a look, this process needed to end.

Once he took to a microphone, no NFL team could possibly be serious about looking at OBJ until the summer.

This fool all but handed the Cowboys, and any other NFL team remotely interested in his services, the reason to avoid him like an annoying relative at Christmas.

The football player said he doesn’t want to play football.

A few days after visiting with the Cowboys, OBJ told Amazon’s NFL broadcast crew, “I’m not saying I couldn’t step in and play regular season, but I don’t see the point. I really don’t. I’d rather play when that pressure’s on.”

He wasn’t kidding.

He was sincere.

Somewhere his agent threw his iPhone through his iTV.

Don’t ever give a player a dime, much less a trillion dimes, who does not want to play immediately.

That Odell is not saying he wants to play any NFL game today says everything about this player. Even if he can’t go, he needs to say, “I’d play on one leg if they’ll let me.”

The point is he’s a football player who doesn’t want to play football games.

Odell suffered a torn ACL in his left knee in the Super Bowl on Feb. 13, 2022. Of course he’s not ready to return.

We were all fooling ourselves on this, because the fantasy was fun.

The Cowboys had no choice but to look elsewhere.

No matter how badly Jerry wanted to will this OBJ fantasy into reality, the man can’t play yet.

OBJ is 30, and trying to play what would be his ninth NFL season. He has injured the same leg four times.

Also, he said he doesn’t want to play yet.

T.Y. Hilton wants to give it another shot.

Don’t expect too much.

But at least he wants to play.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I said it once, and I'll say it again. The Rams made the right choice when it comes to OBJ.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
My guess he backed off first due to knee concerns and then price. I said in another post OBJ even if he signed last week ready to play this week leaves him 4 games and 1 minimum playoff game and that's it that's 5 games for 20m that's 4m per game which is nuts for a guy on his 2nd knee surgery on the same knee.

OBJ is living off his Rams year image and not looking at the reality. He is worth 1-4 m with incentives, originally I was thinking 3-7m but since then I've revised that because the learning curve with a team doesn't happen immediately it didn't with the Rams and they had 8 games with him plus the playoffs. So any team would be foolish to think he comes in and dominates.

Also he said he was going to wait till the playoffs to sign that is code word for I am not ready to play. Why give up on 3-4 games if not ready obviously he isn't.

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
Yeah - it’s been an interesting experience watching this play out over the season. I’m thankful for OBJ’s contribution last year but the cruel nature of injuries means he’s not going to get a multi year extension for 10 mill + per season.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams made the right choice. He's not worth big or long-term money.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I’m not surprised. His musical chairs games screamed, “I’m trying to drive up the bidding”.

It likely turned McVay and Snead off.

oldnotdead

Legend
for a guy on his 2nd knee surgery on the same knee.

The article said OBJ has injured that same knee 4 times in his career. That is proof IMO that it's not a botched surgery but simply a very bad knee that won't hold up over a season and he knows it. I would bet the first surgeon told him to retire because the knee simply was bad. That's why we have heard nothing about him suing the original surgeon. It's why he says he doesn't want to play in the regular season because his knee wouldn't hold up.

His career is over. Getting high in public is also a matter of concern for the NFL.

Haden

Kurt Warner for President
Name
Dave
OBJ may be washed, just like Gurley was after his knee injury

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe now is the time to sign him for next year. No one else is interested. Have him work out at some point, have him checked out by the team doctors, and sign him to an incentive-laden 2-year deal. I honestly don't think he can be worse than Allen Robinson was. I'm sorry, but Robinson just didn't do it for me this year. I think he can play better next year, with a healthy team behind him, but he did not impress. Can the Rams move on from Robinson? JMO

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
You mean an ACL torn 10 months ago isn't fully healed? And the Rams FO knew that?

mhsQw5.gif

Ram65

Legend
I can't blame OBJ for trying to get as much as he can. He has to prove he can play before any deal will be made. He may have to wait till next year. On the outside chance he can play by the playoffs he will get a bonus deal. Probably same for next year. He may not see a solid long-term deal in the future and should expect a highly incentive deal. I would like to see him keep playing.