Cousins gets non-exclusive franchise tag

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
What would prevent a team, like Jacksonville, who needs to spend money to reach the cap floor...

Sign Cousins to a "poison pill deal" that the Redskins could not match...

Then turn around and trade him for a first round pick (losing the bonus money) but now the contract is reasonable for the trading team....

In the end, Jacksonville basically buys a draft pick.

I haven't done the math if this is even feasible. Just throwing out a wild idea.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
If Washington somehow drops the ball and loses Cousins, what are the chances he would sign with Jacksonville knowing he would just be a bargaining chip with his future at the mercy of the highest bidder? He can pretty much command a similar deal with whoever he wanted to sign with and at least have some control.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Poison pills are now forbidden under an amendment to the CBA.

FYI for those in this thread.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Skins won't let Cousins get away. I think we can write him off as an option and I'm sure at this point the Rams are not really considering him to be in play.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Well, my only issue is that poison pill actually has a definition. Like when Minny signed the Seattle receiver, the poison pill was a huge bonus if something like 5 games weren't played in the state of Minnesota.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
By the way, it wouldn't bother me at all if Washington screws this up and we yank Cousins away from them and the focus on WR, DL, and TE in the first three rounds.

If Jenkins takes his show on the road, don't be surprised if we don't go hard after Cousins... We'll certainly have the money...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
By the way, it wouldn't bother me at all if Washington screws this up and we yank Cousins away from them and the focus on WR, DL, and TE in the first three rounds.

If Jenkins takes his show on the road, don't be surprised if we don't go hard after Cousins... We'll certainly have the money...

Wouldn't it be funny if the Skins signed Jenkins, and it triggered the Rams ability to pay Cousins more than Washington, just as you said.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/01/kirk-cousins-gets-the-franchise-tag-too/#content

Kirk Cousins gets the franchise tag too
Posted by Darin Gantt on March 1, 2016

Washington seemed legitimately torn over what to do with quarterback Kirk Cousins.

But in the NFL, you’ve either got a quarterback you trust or you’re looking for one, and the team didn’t want to look again.

Per multiple reports, they’ve used the non-exclusive franchise tag on Cousins, committing $19.953 million to a guy who was good for half a season.

The quarterback market is such the Cousins would have been a hot commodity, so regardless their reservations, they couldn’t let Cousins reach it.

They can still work on a long-term deal prior to July 15, but it might be hard to establish his value now that he’s already guaranteed nearly $20 million for a single season establishing what he’ll think is the floor.