Couple of thoughts on the Battle vs Williams decision...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
After 24 hours to think about this, here are my thoughts.

I've seen some posters fretting about the "wasted" 5th rounder in the '16 draft when Battle was released. But I disagree that it was wasted. I thought it was a good value pick at the time and still do.

Battle has a future in this league, raw as he might presently be.
LOT's don't grow on trees.
Success rates for 5th rounders is extremely low, league wide. Maybe less than 15%? So how much was the downside, really?
We may still get him back on the PS if he clears waivers.

As to Williams, S&F found a UDFA that looks quite promising. One that made the 53 in a highly drafted OL this year. How, exactly, is that a BAD thing? Obviously, it's a very GOOD thing and one that we should celebrate.

I continue to be impressed by Snead's ability to find football players late in the draft and among UDFA's.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Let's wait and see if Williams actually amounts to anything before we claim him to be the next solid UDFA signing. But I do agree, that we should be happy about it. That a guy doesn't make the cut just because of draft status and they're truly keeping who they believe to be the better player. I still think Battle will be a Ram. Just has to come up through the PS.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Also, I think it was X who posted a tweet that says they'll have to pay the Rams directly to pick him up off waivers? That seems to show a level of commitment to keeping him that surpasses anybody else that has gotten cut. He just can't justify having a roster spot right now, especially on an O-line with so many question marks on it already, but if he can really bust his ass off and come back next year and try for another then it's a good investment.

MarkMyWords

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Mark
Yes. No Williams and Battle is still on the 53 man squad.......

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
FWIW, over in the land of dysfunction, hammer really seems to LOATHE Williams (and Boudreau, but that's old)

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
FWIW, over in the land of dysfunction, hammer really seems to LOATHE Williams (and Boudreau, but that's old)
I almost forget about that place until someone brings it up....I'm still a, ohhh, accident, let me go look....I'll be back after the laughs...

Debacled

Starter
Bottom line is if injuries work their way through the line who here would feel comfortable with Battle making an appearance on the field?

I for one would not. He is raw, rough around the edges, and honestly too weak for the NFL as it is. Handing him a spot just because he has a 5th round tag on him makes no sense. Even if they kept him on the main roster or PS squad him there is no guarantee he will pan out.

People acting like they jettisoned a guaranteed starter or something