Countdown to Camp: Elite special teams unit returns for 2019

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://www.therams.com/news/countdown-to-camp-elite-special-teams-unit-returns

Countdown to Camp: Elite special teams unit returns for 2019

It’s that time of year again.

The Rams are getting set to begin training camp at UC Irvine, officially starting mandatory preparations for the 2019 NFL season. As summer winds down, we’ll be taking a position-by-position look at Los Angeles’ roster with our annual Countdown to Camp series.

For Monday, July 8, let’s begin with coordinator John Fassel’s elite group.

After ending the 2017 season on injured reserve and enduring a groin injury early in 2018, kicker Greg Zuerlein returned to be the top-flight kicker he’s become over the last couple seasons. Zuerlein famously sent the Rams to Super Bowl LIII with his 57-yard field goal in overtime to beat the Saints in New Orleans — the longest converted overtime playoff field goal in NFL history. Over the last two years, Zuerlein’s made 91.5 percent of his field goals (65-of-71) and scored 274 points.

Johnny Hekker punted a career low 43 times last season, which means perhaps he should be tabbed as a holder who happens to punt. Nevertheless, Hekker finished second in net punting average at 43.0 yards per punt — just .2 yards behind the league’s leader, Thomas Morstead of New Orleans. Hekker also had just two punts land in the end zone for touchbacks, and 21 of them were downed inside the 20. For those keeping track at home, that’s 49 percent of his punts, which is a terrific number.

At long snapper, Jake McQuaide returns for his ninth season with the Rams — making him the longest-tenured player on the club’s roster. He’s currently signed through the 2020 season after inking a three-year deal last March.

While those three positions are set, there could be some intrigue at both kick and punt returner during training camp. JoJo Natson took over the punt returns duties early in the 2018 season when Pharoh Cooper was place on injured reserve, and then became the kick returner late in the season as well. But rookie running back Darrell Henderson has some some kick returning experience from his time at Memphis, including one kick returned for a touchdown during his freshman year in 2016.

Starters almost certainly won’t be playing in most of the preseason, but returner will definitely be an intriguing spot to watch during the games.

Tomorrow, Countdown to Camp will continue with a look at the Rams’ offensive line.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Jo Jo is a turnover waiting to happen and brings nothing else. He'll never see the field as a WR.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jo Jo is a turnover waiting to happen and brings nothing else. He'll never see the field as a WR.

He’s got some skills as a returner, but I see his roster spot as highly competitive - someone may bring a little more to the table.

My guess; someone grabs his roster spot.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I definitely could see Henderson taking kicks and punts away from Natson. Natson has the potential to break one, but he's definitely a turnover machine.

dang

Legend
I’ve warmed up to the conservative approach on returns. Fair catch punts and touchback kickoffs whenever possible. Don’t take anything away from the potent Rams offense.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I’ve warmed up to the conservative approach on returns. Fair catch punts and touchback kickoffs whenever possible. Don’t take anything away from the potent Rams offense.

I feel that way too. Returns have been mostly neutered by the rules, KR particularly.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
It sure does seem to be a constant negative event for the receiving team due to yellow flags from our aggressive special teamers One may see the benefit of just taking the ultra conservative path with the fair catch when you have a JoJo Natson as your returner. If the Rams were to find a dandy returner then you would move away from the safe mode plan.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It always pisses me off when a returner (for the Rams - eff the other team) gets a kickoff 3 yards deep in the end zone, returns it to the 22, and runs off like he did something good. No, idiot, if you'd knelt down in the end zone the Rams would have started on the 25, so you cost the team 3 yards AND ran the risk of an injury or a penalty. You did a bad thing. I wish the stats would reflect that. If instead of being credited with a 25 yard return he was credited with a -3 yard return, maybe those bozos would start helping their team.

Ram65

Legend
Johnny Hekker punted a career low 43 times last season, which means perhaps he should be tabbed as a holder who happens to punt. Nevertheless, Hekker finished second in net punting average at 43.0 yards per punt — just .2 yards behind the league’s leader, Thomas Morstead of New Orleans. Hekker also had just two punts land in the end zone for touchbacks, and 21 of them were downed inside the 20. For those keeping track at home, that’s 49 percent of his punts, which is a terrific number.

Hekker's numbers look good but, I don't think he was his best last year. Seemed like a lot of the punts where closer to the 20 than the goal line. I don't remember as many punts inside the 10 yard line. Again, it seemed like he didn't hit the big punt when he Rams needed it. Has to be hard when you not punting much.

Last edited:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Don't fucking return kickoffs when you catch the ball in the endzone. It's stoopid.

As for Jo Jo returning punts... I just can't watch it.

P.S.... I don't watch us kick field goals either.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't freaking return kickoffs when you catch the ball in the endzone. It's stoopid.

As for Jo Jo returning punts... I just can't watch it.

P.S.... I don't watch us kick field goals either.

you didn't watch the tying kick against the saints at the end of regulation and then the winner in overtime?

oldnotdead

Legend
With both Scott and Henderson able to return kicks I don't see the need to keep a guy who can only do one thing on the roster. It's why I think someone like Alex Bachman who has good height and speed as a WR.

When they drafted Nick Scott one of the things I though was he makes JoJo expendable. He's got very good acceleration which is necessary for returning kicks. I his 40 times averaged a solid 4.45 at his pro day though his agility scores were average. But when you watch his film what stands out is his quickness and acceleration. IMO if his agility testing times were better he would have gone higher as a CB. He's a player who plays better than he tests and IMO considering their depth at safety it would be a waste not to coach him up as a boundary CB. That is where they need depth.

Nick is Fassel's draft pick. He told Nick he would do everything he could to get him drafted by the Rams. So when he was I thought bye bye JoJo.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
you didn't watch the tying kick against the saints at the end of regulation and then the winner in overtime?

I can honestly say that I didn't. I go outside and wait for someone to come out and tell me wtf happened with it.

Hopefully @Ramrasta will confirm this for you. He's a fucking working stiff now instead of a college student... so he may not see this right away. LOL

Last edited:

oldnotdead

Legend
Rookies all are expected to participate in ST's duties. With his speed there is no way I see Fassel not at the very least trying him there. Fassel loves Scott so he's most likely going to be the primary returner, but no team only has one. Because of his small size it's realistically the only ST's position Henderson can play. Henderson has good acceleration which is a must for a returner. We will see in a couple of weeks, but I would be surprised if they don't try him out as a returner.

I think there is a tendency to overrate Henderson. He's a very talented RB but he's not an every down RB by any means. Look at his film and you see a guy who got most of his yardage against sub-par defenses and light boxes. How his game translates to the NFL is open to question. It's why he dropped to the 3rd round. He's a complimentary RB, i.e. 3rd downs, running jet sweep motions, etc. Playing as a returner is another way to earn his chops. Darren Sproles who is smaller did it for years.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I can honestly say that I didn't. I go outside and wait for someone to come out and tell me wtf happened with it.

Hopefully @Ramrasta will confirm this for you. He's a freaking working stiff now instead of a college student... so he may not see this right away. LOL

This is true. He was in the garage during both critical kicks in the NFC Championship game. I couldn’t watch the overtime kick either, haha.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is true. He was in the garage during both critical kicks in the NFC Championship game. I couldn’t watch the overtime kick either, haha.

You guys are crazy. Those moments I will cherish forever. Especially the build up to the kicks. The anticipation, the apprehension.

Followed by absolute joy. There with my son and wife. Telling him he can skip school to watch the superbowl.

Great memories.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
You guys are crazy. Those moments I will cherish forever. Especially the build up to the kicks. The anticipation, the apprehension.

Followed by absolute joy. There with my son and wife. Telling him he can skip school to watch the superbowl.

Great memories.

Believe me... we shared in the joy. One of our friends shot a video of T and I hugging about 1 foot away from my TV when we came back inside after the kick went through... she literally crys when she watches the vid.