Countdown to Camp: Donald, Brockers lead strong group of Rams DL'ers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://www.therams.com/news/countd...s-lead-strong-group-of-rams-defensive-linemen

Countdown to TC: Donald, Brockers lead strong group of Rams defensive linemen

yxqee8vl8lffkokpp7ky.jpg

Myles Simmons

It’s Friday, July 19 and we’ve officially reached the penultimate Countdown to Camp. And in this edition, we’re talking the position group that houses arguably the best player in the league.

DEFENSIVE LINE

Newcomers: Greg Gaines, Bryant Jones, Marquise Copeland, Boogie Roberts

If you’re breaking down the Rams defensive line, you have to start with defensive tackle Aaron Donald.

txmpx5kxbdmjx0smqlxg.jpg

The 28-year-old Pitt product has dominated the league since entering it in 2014, and has now become just one of three players to ever win back-to-back AP Defensive Player of the Year awards. Donald recorded 20.5 sacks in his record-setting 2018, setting a new single-season franchise sack record, along with a league record for an interior lineman. Donald also had a league-leading 25 tackles for loss and 41 quarterback hits.

One might say Donald is well worth the lucrative six-year extension he signed last August.

After the departure of offensive lineman Rodger Saffold in free agency, defensive lineman Michael Brockers is now the second-longest tenured Ram — behind only long snapper Jake McQuaide. While Brockers started out playing nose tackle in coordinator Wade Phillips’ 3-4 scheme, he’s been playing five-technique for the vast majority of the last two seasons. But over the course of the offseason, the Rams touted Brockers’ positional flexibility — so there’s a possibility he could be playing nose in certain situations or packages in 2019.

At nose tackle, it appears there will be a competition between 2018 sixth-round pick Sebastian Joseph-Day and 2019 fourth-round pick Greg Gaines. Joesph-Day was on the Rams’ roster throughout last season, but was never a part of the 46-man gameday roster. He was working with the first-team defense throughout the offseason program, and Phillips was complimentary of his performance.

Gaines is a pure nose tackle — someone who could come in and compete right away at the position. As is well known, Los Angeles finished at No. 31 in run defense during the regular season. Gaines is someone who can help improve that ranking in 2019. And even if he’s not a starter, Gaines could be in the rotation on the defensive line.

Elsewhere on the defensive line, John Franklin-Myers recorded 2.0 sacks as a rookie in 2018, and had another sack in Super Bowl LIII. He earned the Rams’ team rookie of the year award for his performance.

Morgan Fox has returned to the DL after spending time as an outside linebacker during the offseason program — before suffering a season-ending knee injury during Phase II. Fox has been working as a 3-4 defensive end this year, and said that’s where he feels most at home. Recording 2.5 sacks in 2017, Fox should be a significant part of the defensive rotation in the coming year.

Heading into his third season, Tanzel Smart also has a chance to factor in on Los Angeles’ defensive line rotation. He didn’t play much in his sophomore campaign with the Rams, but did start four games as a rookie.

The Rams also signed Bryant Jones, Marquise Copeland, And Boogie Roberts as undrafted free agents.

oldnotdead

Legend
The fact Brockers was getting pulled on passing downs last year IMO is really the story. They need a 3 down player starting at DE. Brockers was out played by JFM in his limited snaps. His dead cap is about $3M if he is released. Carry it over 2 years that makes the dead cap about $1.5M per year. Right now he carries an enormous cap hit of $10.7M as a two down player!! After how well JFM played I'm shocked Brockers is still on the team. The cap he would free up would be enough IMO to extend Fowler right now and probably still give them more cap space. Extending Fowler now would be cheaper than waiting. If he has the kind of season this year I would expect it will cost them more.

I'm also surprised they haven't traded him. At 28 he still has trade value and it's clear JFM is a better player as a 5T.

I feel real good about their depth at NT. Gaines is the real deal IMO. Morgan Fox is injury prone and was an UDFA to begin with. He's played in 20 games with only 2.5 sacks to show for it. I'm not overly impressed with him. The problem is that there isn't much behind JFM who can play DE. Copeland is the only other one but lacks the burst and length you want playing a 5T.

But as I've posted elsewhere, Wade changes the defensive alignment on every down. They can play Obo, Mathews and Ebukam in rotation with JFM. That's why I think Brockers simply isn't worth his cap hit of $10.7M. He's had 2 good years of production in his 7 years. 2016 was a down year for him, but he rebounded when moved to DE in 2017. Then last year was another down year at the same DE position. He isn't a dominant dlineman but he's being paid like one. I like Brockers believe it or not. But he is simply over paid and it's affecting the team.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Have to disagree with you dead. You've ragged on Brockers in many posts. If Phillips thought JFM could play at Brockers level, he would be gone already. JFM can't hold Brockers' jock strap. Brockers is a stud DL and what he brings to the DL helps AD be the be the player he is, Brockers is a stud in the trenches. he's only 28, like AD and he's not going anywhere any time soon.

Ram65

Legend
The fact Brockers was getting pulled on passing downs last year IMO is really the story. They need a 3 down player starting at DE. Brockers was out played by JFM in his limited snaps. His dead cap is about $3M if he is released. Carry it over 2 years that makes the dead cap about $1.5M per year. Right now he carries an enormous cap hit of $10.7M as a two down player!! After how well JFM played I'm shocked Brockers is still on the team. The cap he would free up would be enough IMO to extend Fowler right now and probably still give them more cap space. Extending Fowler now would be cheaper than waiting. If he has the kind of season this year I would expect it will cost them more.

I'm also surprised they haven't traded him. At 28 he still has trade value and it's clear JFM is a better player as a 5T.

I feel real good about their depth at NT. Gaines is the real deal IMO. Morgan Fox is injury prone and was an UDFA to begin with. He's played in 20 games with only 2.5 sacks to show for it. I'm not overly impressed with him. The problem is that there isn't much behind JFM who can play DE. Copeland is the only other one but lacks the burst and length you want playing a 5T.

But as I've posted elsewhere, Wade changes the defensive alignment on every down. They can play Obo, Mathews and Ebukam in rotation with JFM. That's why I think Brockers simply isn't worth his cap hit of $10.7M. He's had 2 good years of production in his 7 years. 2016 was a down year for him, but he rebounded when moved to DE in 2017. Then last year was another down year at the same DE position. He isn't a dominant dlineman but he's being paid like one. I like Brockers believe it or not. But he is simply over paid and it's affecting the team.

Are we going to keep reading the same thing over and over about Brockers? I get it and think everyone else gets that you think Brockers isn't worth the cap hit. There is a snowballs chance in the desert that Brockers gets cut or traded.

I look for JFM to step up this year. He lost playing time to Fowler last year as JFM was used as both OLBer and 5T. They had him gain some weight so It looks like he will be a 5T with Brockers. They both could be rushing the QB at the same time. It's going to be interesting to see what combinations Wade uses on passing downs. I think it's going to be open competition on passing downs with even Gaines and SJD in mix for the down line positions. We know Donald and Fowler will be in on every pass rushing play. Mathews or Ebu will be either rushing or in coverage.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FranJo02/fantasy/2018
upload_2019-7-19_21-44-30.png

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Brockers was asked to lose a bunch of weight - too much, too fast imo. Possibly related to that, he had some nagging injuries. I expect him to bounce back from 2018. But in terms of talent, he is better than JFM, and it's not particularly close. He should be improved in 2019, with some of the weight gained back, and likely better health. Almost certainly he will be gone after 2019 - the Rams have too many big contracts to invest in the third contract for an aging player unless he's a total stud or he takes a nice discount. But if he's healthy, he'll be the best option as the DE opposite Donald for 2019, especially since a large part of his cap hit is an already paid out bonus. If he's healthy, he'll anchor the line and help greatly against the run, along with significant help in pressuring the QB.

oldnotdead

Legend
I never said he was too old. I'm saying he's out of position. He's a 3T in a 4-3 scheme.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Brockers was playing with an injured right shoulder all of last season so none of us know how effective he can at the DE spot. So let this year play out, and the coaches will make sound decisions based on what they see on the field, and not act rashly based on our limited judgment.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

I call BS on your Brockers report !! It’s not all about cap & stats !! Cry all you want . It’s not Me !! It’s McVay & WE !!
Best player in the team when it comes to that. The ME with him is he Leads by example & Aaron Donald will attest for that.
Talk about the cost of Suh ?? Brockers gets
It done. I don’t know about next seasons cap space & Brockers. I just know about what he means right now to The Rams organization.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Brockers was playing with an injured right shoulder all of last season so none of us know how effective he can at the DE spot. So let this year play out, and the coaches will make sound decisions based on what they see on the field, and not act rashly based on our limited judgment.

I know Brockers is working hard & trying to get better at his craft. Dude works hard. Looks like he leaned out & is stronger this season.

How much does Henderson bring to the table ??
Riddle me that !

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I never said he was too old. I'm saying he's out of position. He's a 3T in a 4-3 scheme.

Not so sure ?? Wade plays more of a 4-3 type 3-4 . Watch out for CM this season as well. I think he is going to be the elephant a lot of times.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Are we going to keep reading the same thing over and over about Brockers? I get it and think everyone else gets that you think Brockers isn't worth the cap hit. There is a snowballs chance in the desert that Brockers gets cut or traded.

I look for JFM to step up this year. He lost playing time to Fowler last year as JFM was used as both OLBer and 5T. They had him gain some weight so It looks like he will be a 5T with Brockers. They both could be rushing the QB at the same time. It's going to be interesting to see what combinations Wade uses on passing downs. I think it's going to be open competition on passing downs with even Gaines and SJD in mix for the down line positions. We know Donald and Fowler will be in on every pass rushing play. Mathews or Ebu will be either rushing or in coverage.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FranJo02/fantasy/2018
View attachment 29407

Don’t understand the meaning of your chart ??

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Brockers was asked to lose a bunch of weight - too much, too fast imo. Possibly related to that, he had some nagging injuries. I expect him to bounce back from 2018. But in terms of talent, he is better than JFM, and it's not particularly close. He should be improved in 2019, with some of the weight gained back, and likely better health. Almost certainly he will be gone after 2019 - the Rams have too many big contracts to invest in the third contract for an aging player unless he's a total stud or he takes a nice discount. But if he's healthy, he'll be the best option as the DE opposite Donald for 2019, especially since a large part of his cap hit is an already paid out bonus. If he's healthy, he'll anchor the line and help greatly against the run, along with significant help in pressuring the QB.

Not sure about next season. Demoff & The Rams franchised Tru for how much ?? Even Joyner, but they were both from lack of depth. If Snead made the Peters & Talib trade earlier there is no way Joyner gets tagged.
Brockers looks leaner this season , but bulked up. The dude trains hard. I wonder what kind of an influence Aaron Donald will have during training camp this season. Yeah Ram dans will be watching the DL man more this season. Brockers has always been that leader.
As far as depth goes. There was this Cat Young who was rotating in and out ?? Don’t see anybody saying nothing about him ??
The OLB position will be in. He was more of a pass rusher though.

JFM really showed up against NE in the Bowl.
#69 Practices hard. He almost got his ass kicked & yeld at by coaches. Pissed the Oline off for doing some stupid. Maybe a late hit ??
Don’t recall except I was like this guy just got himself cut. He continued to work hard & proved himself. Number 69 (lol) enough said. Actually he takes pride in that number which is cool.

Ram65

Legend
Don’t understand the meaning of your chart ??

Just a reference to JFM's lost snap counts when the Rams got Fowler. Fowler came in game 9. He was used to complement Brockers but, wasn't out playing him as was mentioned in a previous post. Look for lots of competition for PT on the defensive line and OLBers.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
I know Brockers is working hard & trying to get better at his craft. Dude works hard. Looks like he leaned out & is stronger this season.

How much does Henderson bring to the table ??
Riddle me that !
My post was not directed to you So Ram, it was mainly for an anti Brockers person.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Just a reference to JFM's lost snap counts when the Rams got Fowler. Fowler came in game 9. He was used to complement Brockers but, wasn't out playing him as was mentioned in a previous post. Look for lots of competition for PT on the defensive line and OLBers.

With Westbrook & Longacre gone it brings a new younger group. Got to enjoy the energy.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2019/...ms-roster-preview-edge-depth-chart-morgan-fox

Morgan Fox back on the field, back on the D-line

Returned from an ACL tear, Fox has returned to his old position. Can he return to his 2017 form and build a future beyond 2019?

By TG25 Jul 22, 2019, 11:00am CDT
861826576.jpg.0.jpg
Photo by Don Juan Moore/Getty Images
In the excitement of a Super Bowl campaign, it was easy to forget that Los Angeles Rams EDGE Morgan Fox missed all of last year with an ACL injury. It was a loss he suffered just as organized team activities were beginning. The Rams planned to place Fox in the outside linebacker position and use him as a stand-up rusher, which I would’ve liked to see. However, that plan never came to pass.

Now, he’s back on the line where I feel he will be better suited.

Roster Battle
As it stands now, there are two true defensive ends in Fox and John Franklin-Myers the latter of whom showed his merit in the first half of the season and the postseason as a depth player. Franklin-Myers also recorded a sack during a pivotal time in the Super Bowl.

DL Michael Brockers will likely be starting in the DE spot come opening day. If Fox’s rehab remains on schedule, he will likely rotate at the other defensive-end spot. Defensive Coordinator Wade Phillips’ defensive line is fluid, and no one guy is tied down to one spot.

Expectations
Fox played more than a quarter of the snaps in 2017 and recorded 2.5 sacks and 19 tackles through 16 regular season games, and four tackles in the postseason loss to Atlanta. That’s a decent amount of production in that amount of time. Returning to that base would be a solid season for a guy returning from an ACL tear.

Chances of making the roster (8/10)
The biggest questions surrounding Fox will be 1) Can his repaired ACL handle an increased workload and 2) Is he capable of handling that workload?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I think Copeland is one to keep an eye on. He gets a lot of pressure, and I think that he has the potential to be a seventh defensive lineman if we keep seven.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think Copeland is one to keep an eye on. He gets a lot of pressure, and I think that he has the potential to be a seventh defensive lineman if we keep seven.
I like the tape on Copeland too.... Down here in the deep south in our youth we all loved the Copeland smoke meats & lunch meat /hot dogs products of years past....

Copeland is mostly a 5 tech DL with a bit of NT. He played mostly NT in college. I think he will shine in this defense when it comes to run defense. He is a lot like JFM's but more stout against the run but lacks pass rush skills.

I think that Wade/ Henderson will move Morgan Fox from the left side over to the right side behind Aaron Donald @ 3 tech & let Fox & Smart go @ it for that back up roster position.