Cosell Analyzes NFC West Draft Picks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2012/05/07/cose ... ost-mortum

..... The next wide receiver chosen, by the St. Louis Rams with the first pick of the second round, was Brian Quick from Appalachian State. The Rams selected him ahead of more celebrated and widely discussed receivers Stephen Hill and Randle. Quick was another player who, seconds after his name was read, was branded with those disparaging descriptions of “reach” and “overdrafted”. That resulted from two things: he came from a smaller school and he struggled early in Senior Bowl week against higher quality competition.

Many will use the small school component of Quick’s résumé to suggest he will have a much larger learning curve to adjust to the NFL. Again, another myth tossed around as if it’s gospel. Watch any college wide receiver, especially one that played in a spread, and you will see limited routes. Justin Blackmon went to Oklahoma State, and he has no greater route running experience that Quick. They both played in spread offenses. In fact, studying both extensively on film, you can make the argument that Quick, who’s significantly bigger than Blackmon, is more naturally athletic. Quick is a very fluid and smooth athlete with excellent lateral quickness and deceptive vertical speed due to stride length. It’s not a stretch at all, when you analyze Quick’s physical and athletic attributes, to understand why the Rams selected him early. With his size and overall skill set, he has a chance to be the best wide receiver in this draft class. I know some teams saw him that way.
Certainly, there are questions, and many variables will factor into the equation, as they do with any receiver entering the NFL, including Blackmon and Jenkins.

My point is this: Think through the process and all that’s involved before you come to a conclusion. Challenge accepted assumptions. NFL teams spend a lot of time studying, evaluating, and researching, not only players in any given draft, but trends and tendencies over time. Of course, they will make mistakes, as we all do. But as I said earlier, and it’s worth repeating, no 2012 draft choice has yet played in the NFL so his value cannot yet be accurately quantified.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I'll always say this: Terms like "reach" and "steal" are nothing but words driven by the Kiper media. Every team ranks every player differently, and I think could care less when an "analyst" calls their pick one of those words.

"Wow what is that team thinking??! That is a big a reach as I ever seen! I didn't even have him ranked in the top 64 of my big board!!!"

*8 months later in December*

"Wow look at this performance, obviously this team knew something everyone else didn't!"

On the flip side...

"Wow, what a steal is this team getting? I've had him ranked as a 1st round talent but they are gettin a bargain in the 5th round!!!"

"This team is struggling, and none of their draft picks are contributing."

:uhh:

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
There is just no way you can possibly know player x will be available in the 3rd round or 4th round when your team took him in the 2nd. You can make an argument over better options available with that pick but then we aren't quite sure which ones are the best scheme fit for us.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
It's all a crap shoot unless there's a CLEAR phenom sitting there like Megatron or Adrian Peterson, etc. At this point you can only trust the years of experience Fisher has and hope the scouting staff is giving him solid information. So, that said, I'm down with the Quickness.

Yeah, that's right.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It must be contagious as I've got a fever. And the only prescription is more Quickness.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Angry Ram said:
I'll always say this: Terms like "reach" and "steal" are nothing but words driven by the Kiper media. Every team ranks every player differently, and I think could care less when an "analyst" calls their pick one of those words.

"Wow what is that team thinking??! That is a big a reach as I ever seen! I didn't even have him ranked in the top 64 of my big board!!!"

"Wow look at this performance, obviously this team knew something everyone else didn't!"

On the flip side...

"Wow, what a steal is this team getting? I've had him ranked as a 1st round talent but they are gettin a bargain in the 5th round!!!"

"This team is struggling, and none of their draft picks are contributing."

:uhh:
Kiper loved the pick :mrgreen: