Cory Harkey stakes claim to late fumble recovery --Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Cory Harkey stakes claim to late fumble recovery
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...y-harkey-stakes-claim-to-late-fumble-recovery

ST. LOUIS -- Observed and heard in the locker room after the St. Louis Rams' 28-26 victory against the Seattle Seahawks:

Harkey's recovery: There was plenty of confusion about who, exactly, recovered running back Tre Mason's fumble in the final minute of the game. The officials ruled the Rams recovered it but there wasn't much video evidence to support it. Even coach Jeff Fisher said he was already speaking to defensive coordinator Gregg Williams about what to call on the ensuing defensive series when the officials offered the pleasant surprise declaring it Rams' ball. But tight end Cory Harkey said he was the one who managed to come out of the dog pile with the ball to preserve the victory. Harkey and offensive lineman Mike Person, who was on the field in the jumbo package, were actually fighting over the ball before realizing they were on the same side.

"We were both fighting for the ball and I ended up with it," Harkey said. "As long as one of us ended up with it, that's all that mattered."

Saffold's health: Right guard Rodger Saffold suffered a knee injury late in the game and did not return, leaving many to wonder if the oft-injured Saffold was going to miss extended time again. But Fisher said Saffold could have came back into the game on the final drive and Saffold told reporters that he'll be ready to go next week against the Kansas City Chiefs.

A clean game: Fisher and the Rams were pleased with what was their cleanest game of the season in terms of some of the self-inflicted mistakes that are common for them. They had just two penalties -- one was a delay of game they took on purpose -- allowed no sacks and had no turnovers.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Now that sounds a lot more believable than dick shermans claim that he gave the ball to the referee.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
You could see on the one replay angle that someone grabbed the ball out from under the Seahawk player when he rolled on to his side. You couldn't see who it was at all.

RamzFanz

Damnit
This will go down in Skwacks lore as a stolen game. Evidence wont matter. They're butthurt! :)

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Seahawks fans strongly disagree.... just saying ;)

Even if SEA does recover, they had no TO's with 17 second s on the clock. They needed about 40 yards to even have a long shot. That game still would have been ours.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
i know at least from one angle sherman did NOT have possession simple rattling around under him but how and did anyone actual see harkey get up with the ball?

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Seahawks fans strongly disagree.... just saying ;)

Even if SEA does recover, they had no TO's with 17 second s on the clock. They needed about 40 yards to even have a long shot. That game still would have been ours.

I thought there was 1:01 left on the clock. I could be wrong though.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I thought there was 1:01 left on the clock. I could be wrong though.

I just remember Davis kneeled on the next play and there was 17 seconds. I could definately be wrong, too. That game was so crazy.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
There was only one seahawk who had a chance at the ball, Richard Sherman, lying on his side. But he had Long behind him, Cook over him, with both Harvey and Person digging at his midsection. Dude had no chance.

Last edited:

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
What was he doing on the field? In for Saffold?

Person lined up outside of Long and blocked down on RDE Bennett, and did a very nice job I might add. Bennett was going left (inside) anyway, but Person sealed him and planted him... before scurrying downfield once he saw the ball was loose.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Harkey and offensive lineman Mike Person, who was on the field in the jumbo package, were actually fighting over the ball before realizing they were on the same side.

Now we know who replaced the injured Tim Barnes as the 6th OL'er in the Jumbo packages Mike Person.

Saffold's health: Right guard Rodger Saffold suffered a knee injury late in the game and did not return, leaving many to wonder if the oft-injured Saffold was going to miss extended time again. But Fisher said Saffold could have came back into the game on the final drive and Saffold told reporters that he'll be ready to go next week against the Kansas City Chiefs.

That Saffold right knee injury scares me. Saffold missed most of 7 games when Saffold injured his right knee (grade -three MCL sprain) on 9-16-2012, then he missed most of five games & lost his starting ORT post when he re-injured that same knee (MCL sprain) in 9-15-2013. Now yesterday 10-19-2014 he tweaked it again. We sure need Saffold in the lineup & Davin Joseph on the bench.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I know I'm a homer, but there is no conclusive replay. The closest that Sherman ever got was to have the ball rattling around between his knees. If that counts as possession, then Harkey's initial falling on the ball is possession just as well. At the end, he came out of the pile with it, and that's the only conclusive thing about the whole ordeal.

And Sherman? About the ball being between your knees ... well, you should keep company with the waitress in this iconic Jack Nicholson scene from Five Easy Pieces: