Cortland Finnegan thinks success on horizon for ... Lions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Re: Cortland Finnegan thinks success on horizon for ... Lion

Iron Lion said:
albefree69 -

You are saying that the o-line has gotten worse, and that they were not even that great last year. I think this is an over-simplification. An offensive lineman could be great at pass blocking but terrible at run blocking. One is going backwards and one is going forwards... totally different dynamic. The Lions line last year was quite good at pass protection and quite bad at run blocking. This year's crop should be more well-rounded.

LesBaker -

This is a loaded question... I will answer all the variants I can think of.

If I knew the future (by which I mean the 2010 draft up to today), I'd have taken Suh over Bradford.

If I did not know the future, I'd have taken Bradford.

If I knew the future and could've taken anybody at that spot instead of just Suh or Bradford, I'd have taken JPP.

Wow that's the exact opposite of what the other guy said. Interesting and further proof everyone has their own ideas on the matter.

Iron Lion

Starter

But you're talking about putting Bradford on the Lions, right?
He wouldn't fit with this team. He is not the optimal QB type for a team that has Calvin Johnson.

jap

Legend

Iron Lion said:
But you're talking about putting Bradford on the Lions, right?
He wouldn't fit with this team. He is not the optimal QB type for a team that has Calvin Johnson.

In Jared Cook (6'5", 248 lbs.), Sam Bradford now has a TE/WR who is very close to Calvin (6'5", 236 lbs.). And Sam is enjoying great rapport with this receiver similar to the way he enjoyed great rapport with Jermaine Gresham (6'5", 260 lbs.) in college. Why should Sam not be an optimal fit for a team with Calvin?

Iron Lion

Starter

Don't want to get too in depth on your QB or you all will lynch me lol.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Iron Lion said:
Don't want to get too in depth on your QB or you all will lynch me lol.
Nah. You can offer your opinion without being antagonistic. I'm just curious about what you mean by "a team that has Calvin Johnson." What kind of team is that?

Sent via Tapatalk2.

Iron Lion

Starter

It's just my silly way of phrasing it I suppose.

The reason I say it wouldn't be a good fit is because Bradford is on the conservative side. I don't think that works with Megatron and scrubs... you'd be better off having a more well-rounded stable of receivers with no weakest link and no beast.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Iron Lion said:

The reason I say it wouldn't be a good fit is because Bradford is on the conservative side. I don't think that works with Megatron and scrubs... you'd be better off having a more well-rounded stable of receivers with no weakest link and no beast.

I think you may be right, but remember that much of that was coached into him. It can be coached out of him too.

I had heard/read that Spagnuolo used to stand behind him with an airhorn and blow it when 2.5 seconds elapsed. On the surface that seems smart, teach the kid to get rid of the ball. But maybe it also taught him to find the first place to throw it to get rid of it.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan

LesBaker reminding us of a part of our history I'd just as soon forget:

I think you may be right, but remember that much of that was coached into him. It can be coached out of him too.

I had heard/read that Spagnuolo used to stand behind him with an airhorn and blow it when 2.5 seconds elapsed. On the surface that seems smart, teach the kid to get rid of the ball. But maybe it also taught him to find the first place to throw it to get rid of it.

Good point Les. I'd add that quite a bit of that "conservatism" was due to our former OC's play calling (may he never come back).

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Iron Lion said:

Well, let's look at that for a second.

Is he conservative by nature, or was he a product of his development and the systems he was in? In 2010 and 2011, Bradford didn't even rank in the top 25 of QBs in deep passing statistics. He had nobody to throw to really, outside of Danario (I might play this week) Alexander, and that was compounded by Shurmur's propensity to dump the ball off to athletic receivers and let them make plays. Problem with that is, the Rams didn't really have any of those.

Cut forward to last year...

IOYdzUJ.png

I don't know if you remember what his passing was like when he actually HAD a deep threat (Danario Alexander), but DX's yards per reception with Bradford throwing to him was right at 16. That's the same as Calvin's average throughout his career. Last year he had one guy who could get over the top of defenses, and a coordinator who isn't afraid to call deep shots, and all of a sudden Bradford isn't a conservative QB anymore.

NOW he's got 3 guys who can get vertical.

All I'm saying is, keep an eye on this Bradford kid when he gets comfortable with his receivers.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Wow the Colts took the training wheels off of Luck from the start didn't they.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

LesBaker said:
Wow the Colts took the training wheels off of Luck from the start didn't they.
Sho nuff. They took the Martz approach on offense.
Just throw that shit down the field. If it gets intercepted, no big deal. We'll get'm next time.

Of course it never hurts to have Reggie Wayne either.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Now let's sort it this way so we can see who actually threw the most deep passes.

lgtf6a3.png

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Where are you getting those splits? I'm looking at Luck's on SI.com and man they really did have him throwing it all over the place. 221 attempts out of 4 or 5 wide sets. I wonder what the new OC is going to do.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

LesBaker said:
Where are you getting those splits? I'm looking at Luck's on SI.com and man they really did have him throwing it all over the place. 221 attempts out of 4 or 5 wide sets. I wonder what the new OC is going to do.
PFF.

Luck is gonna be a very good QB if/when he learns to make better decisions and when to get rid of the ball instead of taking a beating. It's cool how he tries to extend plays and all, but there comes a time where you gotta know when to admit defeat.

Back to Bradford though. I really don't see how his stats can't improve this year once everyone gets comfortable in the system. This is a huge step up for him in terms of having playmakers available. Of course that all hinges on their ability to absorb the offense and keep mistakes to a minimum as well, but if this group stays together for a few more years (receivers and coaches), then this offense is gonna be something to behold for a long time.

Iron Lion

Starter

Well I'm definitely still going to be watching every Rams game each week so yes, we'll see what he's got this year.