Cordarrelle Patterson Discussion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Username said:
I could see us going cordarrelle patterson however. He fits the bill imo of what this Rams brass looks for in a wr.
The more I watch Patterson, the more I like him. The change of direction for someone his size, I can't really think of a comparison, but it is elite. It appears as if he'll run in the low 4.4's. He's tough, can make plays from the RB position. Return game..check. 6'3" 215 lbs.

What I like most, and why I like Justin Hunter too, is that they play more of a pro style offense than most, and have an NFL - talent wise - QB throwing to them.

Username said:
DR RAM said:
Username said:
I could see us going cordarrelle patterson however. He fits the bill imo of what this Rams brass looks for in a wr.
The more I watch Patterson, the more I like him. The change of direction for someone his size, I can't really think of a comparison, but it is elite. It appears as if he'll run in the low 4.4's. He's tough, can make plays from the RB position. Return game..check. 6'3" 215 lbs.

What I like most, and why I like Justin Hunter too, is that they play more of a pro style offense than most, and have an NFL - talent wise - QB throwing to them.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens to everyones stock at the combine. I could see Patterson sky rocketing. I could see Austin moving up some too though. Hopkins could help himself a lot too with a strong 40 time.

I feel so much more comfortable with Snead and this Rams FO. Let the board dictate what you do, and PLEASE GOD do not trade up.

wolfman84 said:
Someone's going to have to sell me on Patterson. In the Tenn games that I've watched, I've seen him drop a lot of balls. Great size. Great speed. Decent route running. But he doesn't catch the ball with his hands well, uses his body a lot in catching, which to me equates to an incomplete pass when being closely contested by a defender. Maybe I haven't seen enough of him. Let me know if you've observed something different (and I don't mean highlight clips).

DR RAM said:
wolfman84 said:
Someone's going to have to sell me on Patterson. In the Tenn games that I've watched, I've seen him drop a lot of balls. Great size. Great speed. Decent route running. But he doesn't catch the ball with his hands well, uses his body a lot in catching, which to me equates to an incomplete pass when being closely contested by a defender. Maybe I haven't seen enough of him. Let me know if you've observed something different (and I don't mean highlight clips).
From what I've seen, he is a bit of a body catcher, but I've seen him make hands catches as well, and it appears as if he has natural hands. Could be a coaching issue. His drops could be concentration lapses, because he's always looking for the big play, which could also be coached. I've watched more than highlight video, but wouldn't come close to saying that I know him. He's grown on me.

That being said, I'd like to hear more about Patterson as well. Anyone??

brokeu91 said:
jrry32 said:
DR RAM said:
wolfman84 said:
From what I've seen, he is a bit of a body catcher, but I've seen him make hands catches as well, and it appears as if he has natural hands. Could be a coaching issue. His drops could be concentration lapses, because he's always looking for the big play, which could also be coached. I've watched more than highlight video, but wouldn't come close to saying that I know him. He's grown on me.

That being said, I'd like to hear more about Patterson as well. Anyone??

I've seen a great deal of Patterson as a student at a SEC school. I'm pretty indifferent towards him. Like him better in the 2nd than the 1st but his athleticism will likely keep him in the 1st.

Had some absolutely terrible drops especially against Florida and Georgia. Dropped 2 deep balls that might have resulted in TD catches. Had 0 40+ yard catches against SEC competition and I don't think his speed is quite as good as people say it is. Some claim he's a 4.3 guy, I think he's a mid 4.4 guy. That isn't bad though.

Really raw player in terms of route running but does a nice job of shielding out the defender with his frame. That said, not physical at all and doesn't really go up and get the ball...definitely not a guy that you'd say "high-points" the football.

I have also heard a lot of questions about his intelligence and character but not sure how many are true and how many are false.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
jrry32 said:
DR RAM said:
The dude had a lot of carries at running back. You ever had carries at running back in college? You have to be physical. You have to be tough. So...Austin is tougher? Debate continues.... Him and Danny will platoon? I see greater needs, and better uses.

Austin is special as far as his quickness and smoothness, but he's 5' 9". 179 lbs. Patterson is special at 6'3" 210 lbs.

Intelligence may be the factor to where he is drafted--Patterson.

Thanks for your insight.

Him and Danny won't "platoon". I mean that him and Danny could alternate between outside and the slot. You're not drafting Austin to put him on the bench.

Yea, Austin is a tough kid...was very durable in college too.

While Patterson is special for his size...Austin is, to be entirely blunt, better than him at it and is special for anyone who has played the game. So then the question becomes, what advantages does Patterson's size afford him? The biggest is that he can shield out defenders with his frame but the other big advantages you'd expect him to have are negated because he doesn't actually have them...by that I mean physicality and the ability to go up and get the football.

I rank Austin above Patterson. I think they're similar in what they offer but Austin is better at it.
Fair enough.

I'd rank Patterson on top, and think his career will be better by a margin. Agree to disagree.

jrry32 said:
DR RAM said:
Fair enough.

I'd rank Patterson on top, and think his career will be better by a margin. Agree to disagree.

Yep, we will have to. While stats certainly have their limitations, I think it's interesting to consider that in half of Patterson's games against SEC competition, he had 31 or less receiving yards. And he had 0 100 yard receiving games and only 2 games of 75+ yards receiving.(although to be fair, he had 3 or 4 big plays called back on penalties)

When you watch the film, he had a habit of disappearing. As physically talented and intriguing as the kid is, there has to be some reservations there.

On Austin, he did have 11 catches for 187 yards against LSU in 2011, the last SEC opponent he played.

Patterson has a ton of upside and I don't ever fault someone for going with upside but at the same time, so does Austin and I think he's proven more on film than Patterson has. Yes, Patterson has better size and thus more overall upside but you gotta believe he is going to and can reach it.

For me, I have some doubts so I'd take Tavon.

iced said:
DR RAM said:
jrry32 said:
DR RAM said:
Fair enough.

Yep, we will have to. While stats certainly have their limitations, I think it's interesting to consider that in half of Patterson's games against SEC competition, he had 31 or less receiving yards. And he had 0 100 yard receiving games and only 2 games of 75+ yards receiving.(although to be fair, he had 3 or 4 big plays called back on penalties)

When you watch the film, he had a habit of disappearing. As physically talented and intriguing as the kid is, there has to be some reservations there.

On Austin, he did have 11 catches for 187 yards against LSU in 2011, the last SEC opponent he played.

Patterson has a ton of upside and I don't ever fault someone for going with upside but at the same time, so does Austin and I think he's proven more on film than Patterson has. Yes, Patterson has better size and thus more overall upside but you gotta believe he is going to and can reach it.

For me, I have some doubts so I'd take Tavon.
I certainly agree that Tavon is a better player now, in college. Those are sick numbers vs LSU. I'm not even completely sold on Patterson, but his skills are remarkable. I might even like his teammate better, Justin Hunter, who always seems open by a mile.

I know of Austin, seen tons of highlights, he's frightening in the open field.

He did have one bad play against LSU where he didn't catch the ball and it went for a pic - but man there were some throws that were badly missed by Geno Smith. Keep in mind LSU had Claiborne and Mathieu too - and he was given them fits. Austin has done it against NFL talent - has Patterson? I honestly don't know that's why I'm asking.
I don't know either that's why I was asking.

Vols schedule last year:
Sept. 1 - North Carolina State (at Georgia Dome, Atlanta, GA)
Sept. 8 - Georgia State
Sept. 15 - Florida*
Sept. 22 - Akron
Sept. 29 - at Georgia*
Oct. 13 - at Mississippi State*
Oct. 20 - Alabama*
Oct. 27 - at South Carolina*
Nov. 3 - Troy
Nov. 10 - Missouri*
Nov. 17 - at Vanderbilt*
Nov. 24 - Kentucky*

Anyone else want to weigh in? I'm really not trying to compare the two. I'm trying to get as much info as I can on the the top receivers in this class.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cordarrelle did have a long TD on David Amerson. Also had a couple of catches on Banks and Slay as well as the UF CBs. So he's gone up against NFL talent.

I wouldn't be against Patterson. He's a great talent. Just prefer Tavon.

Surprisingly, that College WR stats website said Austin's drop percentage of the top WRs was either the lowest or second lowest. He made numerous big catches on 3rd and 4th down this year. I think the Texas game is a great example of that.

I just love the skill-set that he offers. He's a better overall WR than he gets credit for and his running ability is unbelievable...Peter Warrick esque and that's saying something if anyone remembers Warrick.

Patterson is sick too. I'd be happy with either one.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Evan Silva
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/42536/321/patterson-the-playmaker" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/4 ... -playmaker</a>

[wrapimg=right]http://www.rotoworld.com/images/photos/NFL/CLG/CFB_Patterson_300.jpg[/wrapimg]Justin Hunter was supposed to be the Volunteers' top draft prospect as the 2012 season got underway. His running mate out wide would have something to say about that. During a one-year stay at Tennessee after transferring from a Kansas community college, 21-year-old true junior Cordarrelle Patterson emerged as the Vols' premier all-purpose weapon. Patterson found four different ways to score touchdowns and averaged an 18.8-yard gain every time he handled the rock.

I had seen a few of Patterson's highlights and a cut-up video before this Evaluation, but nothing substantial. I entered this one with no preconceived opinions and a wide-open mind. In my first real exposure to Patterson, I watched six Tennessee games, all of Patterson's touches twice, and charted each with detailed notes.

One fact crystallized after about two games: Scoring touchdowns and playing explosive football come natural to Cordarrelle Patterson. He is a natural playmaker. Listed at 6-foot-3, 205, Patterson's body type is similar to Dez Bryant and Julio Jones', and his game is especially similar to Julio's. Patterson's movements seemed effortless even as he outraced defensive backs and made oncoming defenders shiver. Julio is a bit like that. Randy Moss was like that, too.

Although Patterson's primary position in Tennessee's offense was "X-Iso" receiver on the outside, the Vols devised ways other than fly and go routes to put the ball in Patterson's hands. In the six games I viewed, one of Patterson's most impressive plays came on a 15-yard rushing attempt in the fourth quarter versus Mississippi State.

Lined up as a traditional tailback, Patterson accepted quarterback Tyler Bray's handoff and moved subtly, patiently to his right. Running upright and contemplating his lane, Patterson exploded suddenly with a violent cut on a sweep, forcing Bulldogs linebackers Deontae Skinner and Bernardrick McKinney to flail and miss badly. Patterson dipped his shoulder and finished the run with forceful authority. The run was Petersonian.

I checked the box score after watching the Mississippi State game, just for kicks. Patterson had two catches for 25 yards. He was still a Human Highlight Reel, ripping off devastating cuts to make three Bulldogs special teamers look silly on a 98-yard kickoff return touchdown. Patterson turned a 10-yard loss into a long gain on a reverse, busting a tackle deep in the backfield, making another defender miss, and reversing field again en route to a 34-yard pickup. His first reception came in heralded cornerback Johnthan Banks' coverage, as Patterson's precise curl-out route left Banks flat footed for 14 yards along the left sideline. Patterson got his second catch versus another highly touted draft prospect in Darius Slay, out-muscling Banks' bookend for an 11-yard touchdown on a fade. Patterson just barely missed an additional kick return score, shaking two Bulldogs before a lucky shoestring tackle stopped Patterson at the 39-yard line with only green grass in front of him. Despite catching just two balls against Mississippi State, Patterson finished with 195 all-purpose yards and two touchdowns. (When you say 'play', I say 'maker'.)

Facing another top-rated cornerback versus North Carolina State, Patterson whipped 2011 NCAA interceptions leader David Amerson for a 41-yard scoring bomb, creating a cavity of separation at the end of his fly route. Patterson continued his schooling of Amerson on an end-around, breaking three tackles and easily outrunning Amerson for a 67-yard rushing touchdown. Against Missouri, Patterson had two TDs negated by penalties, the first on a silly high-stepping call and the second on a hold that didn't affect the play. Patterson lost yet another touchdown against Vanderbilt after juking Commodores safety Kenny Ladler on a quick curl and scoring from 27 yards out. Officials caught the Vols' center blocking too far downfield.

Cordarrelle Patterson is a freak. There were times he looked genuinely un-tackle-able on tape. I charted him with 29 open-field opportunities across six games. He made the first defender miss on 20 of them. Many receivers are explosive vertically and run fast in a straight line. Patterson is explosive both vertically and laterally, and physical as all get out. I loved how he got skinny through tight spaces, regularly sending would-be tacklers grasping at air as they left their feet. Patterson's run-after-catch ability might be the best I have ever seen from a college wide receiver.

I think I read somewhere that Patterson is a poor route runner. Could've fooled me. He ran a full route tree in Tennessee's pro-style offense, executing the curl, hitch, skinny post, slant, back-shoulder fade, and deep-in as an X receiver, and the out-and-up and shallow cross from the slot. Just once did I see Patterson seem to blow a route; versus Vanderbilt. I couldn't tell if the miscommunication was on him or Tyler Bray. Patterson shot in and out of breaks. He used a crossover to evade press coverage off the line of scrimmage. His body control was fantastic both along the sideline and in the open field.

Now for the nitpicks. Patterson has a tendency to let passes get too far into his body. He doesn't always catch it with his hands. I charted 39 of Patterson's targets and charged him with two drops. Each drop occurred on a throw over his right shoulder. Patterson put himself in great position to secure both, so tracking deep balls doesn't appear to be an issue. Catching them may be something he needs to improve.

I have a feeling the biggest "concern" with Patterson will be intangible. He played at JUCO. He might not be great in the classroom. Fortunately, he looks plenty smart on the football field.

Patterson also didn't have great receiving stats. He was the No. 2 option in Tennessee's passing game, behind more experienced Hunter. Patterson finished his junior season with a relatively pedestrian 46 catches for 778 yards and five TDs. Box-score scouts figure to hold this against him, dismissing Patterson's 12.3 yards-per-carry average and team-high ten all-purpose scores.

Patterson's game tape is nothing short of sensational, and as explained above he dominated games in the SEC even while taking a receiving backseat to Hunter. Watch Patterson work the slant and fade versus Florida. He lit up Missouri and Mississippi State with game-breaking all-purpose plays. Patterson broke off a 45-yard kickoff return against Alabama. On a reverse, Patterson made swiss cheese of the middle of Georgia's defense on a 46-yard end-zone trip.

Based on what I read about Patterson before watching the tape, I expected a raw, unpolished, mistake-prone receiver. A talented project. I did see big-time talent, but I didn't see many mistakes at all.

If Cordarrelle Patterson is a boom-or-bust pick in April's draft, write me down as predicting a smashing boom.

Sensible NFL Team Fits: Bills, Jets, Browns, Chargers, Dolphins, Panthers.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Someone's going to have to sell me on Patterson.

I don't blame you, and I'm not 100% sold either. I mean, just look at his stat sheet. He does seem to be a body catcher some of the time, and needs to attack the ball more imo. I'm just saying that I really think he fits the bill of what I think our current FO likes in a WR, over someone say like Austin. Especially if Danny comes back.

Here's a post I made in the other thread about it.

I remember hearing an interview with Snead about if he uses any sort of "sabermetric" like tactics when evaluating players. He said there are some things you can do like look at the majority of successful players at a position, their measurables, and what makes them stand out. Then he also said something to the tone of, even if a player isn't perfect you have to weight the raw talent of the player. So idk. I do believe strongly that Snead is a GM that considers measurables a lot though in drafting. Though that's probably 90% of all GMs in the league.

I just don't see the Rams drafting him in the 1st. Doesn't seem like a guy Schotty would make a push for either unless maybe Danny isn't resigned. Who knows though. I have no clue, and that's all just definitely my opinion. lol I've been right and wrong about these things so many times. I do know this though, I feel very comfortable with the people the Rams have in place doing the deciding.

Edit: A lot of what I hear(d) from Snead is that he wants explosion when going after "playmakers." That's why I think Patterson is a perfect fit for his draft type. He's shown he's not afraid to draft and develop raw players too. That said, Austin may be small, but I'd say he has some "explosion" as well.

There's a lot of love out there right now for Patterson though that's for sure. I think the hype is going to sky rocket with the combine especially considering his athletic ability will be on full display.

Another receiver to look at imo is Deandre Hopkins. If he clocks a good 40 time at the draft he might become my favorite.

I'm full fledged willing to admit that this is ALL just my opinion though. It could all be very, very wrong hahaha. It sure is fun to think about though :tooth:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
Evan Silva
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/42536/321/patterson-the-playmaker" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/4 ... -playmaker</a>

[wrapimg=right]http://www.rotoworld.com/images/photos/NFL/CLG/CFB_Patterson_300.jpg[/wrapimg]Justin Hunter was supposed to be the Volunteers' top draft prospect as the 2012 season got underway. His running mate out wide would have something to say about that. During a one-year stay at Tennessee after transferring from a Kansas community college, 21-year-old true junior Cordarrelle Patterson emerged as the Vols' premier all-purpose weapon. Patterson found four different ways to score touchdowns and averaged an 18.8-yard gain every time he handled the rock.

I had seen a few of Patterson's highlights and a cut-up video before this Evaluation, but nothing substantial. I entered this one with no preconceived opinions and a wide-open mind. In my first real exposure to Patterson, I watched six Tennessee games, all of Patterson's touches twice, and charted each with detailed notes.

One fact crystallized after about two games: Scoring touchdowns and playing explosive football come natural to Cordarrelle Patterson. He is a natural playmaker. Listed at 6-foot-3, 205, Patterson's body type is similar to Dez Bryant and Julio Jones', and his game is especially similar to Julio's. Patterson's movements seemed effortless even as he outraced defensive backs and made oncoming defenders shiver. Julio is a bit like that. Randy Moss was like that, too.

Although Patterson's primary position in Tennessee's offense was "X-Iso" receiver on the outside, the Vols devised ways other than fly and go routes to put the ball in Patterson's hands. In the six games I viewed, one of Patterson's most impressive plays came on a 15-yard rushing attempt in the fourth quarter versus Mississippi State.

Lined up as a traditional tailback, Patterson accepted quarterback Tyler Bray's handoff and moved subtly, patiently to his right. Running upright and contemplating his lane, Patterson exploded suddenly with a violent cut on a sweep, forcing Bulldogs linebackers Deontae Skinner and Bernardrick McKinney to flail and miss badly. Patterson dipped his shoulder and finished the run with forceful authority. The run was Petersonian.

I checked the box score after watching the Mississippi State game, just for kicks. Patterson had two catches for 25 yards. He was still a Human Highlight Reel, ripping off devastating cuts to make three Bulldogs special teamers look silly on a 98-yard kickoff return touchdown. Patterson turned a 10-yard loss into a long gain on a reverse, busting a tackle deep in the backfield, making another defender miss, and reversing field again en route to a 34-yard pickup. His first reception came in heralded cornerback Johnthan Banks' coverage, as Patterson's precise curl-out route left Banks flat footed for 14 yards along the left sideline. Patterson got his second catch versus another highly touted draft prospect in Darius Slay, out-muscling Banks' bookend for an 11-yard touchdown on a fade. Patterson just barely missed an additional kick return score, shaking two Bulldogs before a lucky shoestring tackle stopped Patterson at the 39-yard line with only green grass in front of him. Despite catching just two balls against Mississippi State, Patterson finished with 195 all-purpose yards and two touchdowns. (When you say 'play', I say 'maker'.)

Facing another top-rated cornerback versus North Carolina State, Patterson whipped 2011 NCAA interceptions leader David Amerson for a 41-yard scoring bomb, creating a cavity of separation at the end of his fly route. Patterson continued his schooling of Amerson on an end-around, breaking three tackles and easily outrunning Amerson for a 67-yard rushing touchdown. Against Missouri, Patterson had two TDs negated by penalties, the first on a silly high-stepping call and the second on a hold that didn't affect the play. Patterson lost yet another touchdown against Vanderbilt after juking Commodores safety Kenny Ladler on a quick curl and scoring from 27 yards out. Officials caught the Vols' center blocking too far downfield.

Cordarrelle Patterson is a freak. There were times he looked genuinely un-tackle-able on tape. I charted him with 29 open-field opportunities across six games. He made the first defender miss on 20 of them. Many receivers are explosive vertically and run fast in a straight line. Patterson is explosive both vertically and laterally, and physical as all get out. I loved how he got skinny through tight spaces, regularly sending would-be tacklers grasping at air as they left their feet. Patterson's run-after-catch ability might be the best I have ever seen from a college wide receiver.

I think I read somewhere that Patterson is a poor route runner. Could've fooled me. He ran a full route tree in Tennessee's pro-style offense, executing the curl, hitch, skinny post, slant, back-shoulder fade, and deep-in as an X receiver, and the out-and-up and shallow cross from the slot. Just once did I see Patterson seem to blow a route; versus Vanderbilt. I couldn't tell if the miscommunication was on him or Tyler Bray. Patterson shot in and out of breaks. He used a crossover to evade press coverage off the line of scrimmage. His body control was fantastic both along the sideline and in the open field.

Now for the nitpicks. Patterson has a tendency to let passes get too far into his body. He doesn't always catch it with his hands. I charted 39 of Patterson's targets and charged him with two drops. Each drop occurred on a throw over his right shoulder. Patterson put himself in great position to secure both, so tracking deep balls doesn't appear to be an issue. Catching them may be something he needs to improve.

I have a feeling the biggest "concern" with Patterson will be intangible. He played at JUCO. He might not be great in the classroom. Fortunately, he looks plenty smart on the football field.

Patterson also didn't have great receiving stats. He was the No. 2 option in Tennessee's passing game, behind more experienced Hunter. Patterson finished his junior season with a relatively pedestrian 46 catches for 778 yards and five TDs. Box-score scouts figure to hold this against him, dismissing Patterson's 12.3 yards-per-carry average and team-high ten all-purpose scores.

Patterson's game tape is nothing short of sensational, and as explained above he dominated games in the SEC even while taking a receiving backseat to Hunter. Watch Patterson work the slant and fade versus Florida. He lit up Missouri and Mississippi State with game-breaking all-purpose plays. Patterson broke off a 45-yard kickoff return against Alabama. On a reverse, Patterson made swiss cheese of the middle of Georgia's defense on a 46-yard end-zone trip.

Based on what I read about Patterson before watching the tape, I expected a raw, unpolished, mistake-prone receiver. A talented project. I did see big-time talent, but I didn't see many mistakes at all.

If Cordarrelle Patterson is a boom-or-bust pick in April's draft, write me down as predicting a smashing boom.

Sensible NFL Team Fits: Bills, Jets, Browns, Chargers, Dolphins, Panthers.
I like Silva. I think he nailed it, or at least see's exactly what I see. Even the negative I agree with.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I watched a lot of Patterson and Hunter at the Tennessee/Mizzou game. Both of them lined up against E.J. Gaines, who is probably one of the most underrated players on our team, the best cornerback to play at Mizzou in at least a decade, and a sure-fire NFL prospect. Each of them beat Gaines badly, and they were some of the only receivers who did, even with the crappy year we had on defense. He had a bad game, sure, but I've never seen any wideout, let alone two, make him look like that much of a fool before. To compare, Gaines utterly shut down every Big Twelve receiver he matched up against.

If Tennessee had a coach that was even adequate, I'm absolutely certain that they would have curb-stomped us.

As for Patterson, he dropped a few passes, sure, but he was easily the biggest playmaker on the field.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Memento said:
I watched a lot of Patterson and Hunter at the Tennessee/Mizzou game. Both of them lined up against E.J. Gaines, who is probably one of the most underrated players on our team, the best cornerback to play at Mizzou in at least a decade, and a sure-fire NFL prospect. Each of them beat Gaines badly, and they were some of the only receivers who did, even with the crappy year we had on defense. He had a bad game, sure, but I've never seen any wideout, let alone two, make him look like that much of a fool before. To compare, Gaines utterly shut down every Big Twelve receiver he matched up against.

If Tennessee had a coach that was even adequate, I'm absolutely certain that they would have curb-stomped us.

As for Patterson, he dropped a few passes, sure, but he was easily the biggest playmaker on the field.
Thanks Memento, I was hoping to hear from you. You like Hunter slightly better if I remember right. Both Hunter and Patterson can play the X, which we have a problem doing, how would you rank them vs Austin, who's purely a Y?

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
<a class="postlink-local" href="http://ramsondemand.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12475" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12475</a> 38 min mark

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If in doubt; throw it out.

Too many question marks for 16 and 21.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
DR RAM said:
Memento said:

Thanks Memento, I was hoping to hear from you. You like Hunter slightly better if I remember right. Both Hunter and Patterson can play the X, which we have a problem doing, how would you rank them vs Austin, who's purely a Y?

Yes, I like Hunter much more than Patterson. Not as raw, just as much potential, and he put up tremendous stats while recovering from a knee injury that happened last year. I still like Rogers more than either one of them, though. If Rogers hadn't used drugs and gotten himself kicked off, Tennessee might have had three receivers go in the first round.

I like Austin as a prospect. McFraud may have the worst mock drafts in the history of ever, but he's right on one thing: Austin is the fastest player on tape, and it's not even close. He makes Harvin, Maclin, and Wallace look slow by comparison. Unfortunately, he can't play the outside like Hunter, Patterson, or even his teammate, Bailey. He's a good prospect, but unless we lose Amendola, he's not a priority over a top-flight X receiver. I wouldn't be upset with Austin, but I'd prefer a receiver who could play more than just the slot, if that makes sense.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Memento said:
Yes, I like Hunter much more than Patterson. Not as raw, just as much potential, and he put up tremendous stats while recovering from a knee injury that happened last year. I still like Rogers more than either one of them, though. If Rogers hadn't used drugs and gotten himself kicked off, Tennessee might have had three receivers go in the first round.

I like Austin as a prospect. McFraud may have the worst mock drafts in the history of ever, but he's right on one thing: Austin is the fastest player on tape, and it's not even close. He makes Harvin, Maclin, and Wallace look slow by comparison. Unfortunately, he can't play the outside like Hunter, Patterson, or even his teammate, Bailey. He's a good prospect, but unless we lose Amendola, he's not a priority over a top-flight X receiver. I wouldn't be upset with Austin, but I'd prefer a receiver who could play more than just the slot, if that makes sense.

Austin can play outside. He's just best utilized in the slot because it's easier to get the ball in his hands in space.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
jrry32 said:
Memento said:

Austin can play outside. He's just best utilized in the slot because it's easier to get the ball in his hands in space.

From what I've seen he has a lot of trouble when someone gets his hands on him off the line. He may line up once or twice a game outside, but he will never play there more than that imo. He doesn't have to though. He can do plenty of damage from elsewhere on the field.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
BatteringRambo said:
Username said:
What if we draft Patterson and Austin? :lol:

Damn you beat me by 28 minutes...focker! :sly:

Lol makes you wonder. If I had a written guarantee from God that the offensive line would stay healthy this year, I'd say go for it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Username said:
jrry32 said:
Memento said:

From what I've seen he has a lot of trouble when someone gets his hands on him off the line. He may line up once or twice a game outside, but he will never play there more than that imo. He doesn't have to though. He can do plenty of damage from elsewhere on the field.

If they want to jam him, I say go for it. You miss and you're done. :bg:

nighttrain

Legend
i think we have a better project receiver in Quick, he may be raw, but incredible hands and work ethic..I think we will see a lot of Quick next season. Now if we dont resign DA, Austin could fill hat loss
train

bluecoconuts

Legend
I watched his highlights, and I'm still not sure. He makes some great plays for sure, but... I just don't know, I'm not really sold yet. I probably need to look at more film.